Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vaults?  (Read 4619 times)

Drug_unit

• Bay Watcher
  • he needs the golden gauntlets to pimp slap whit
    • View Profile
Vaults?
« on: October 28, 2009, 07:20:04 pm »

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how do make a Vault for Artifacts?
Dwarven statistics: When something is considered unlikely, the presence of dwarves increases the likelyhood of the unusual event occuring.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Besides, it's somehow enjoyable to think of groundhogs stacked to the very top of a cage and flooding out to kill.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vaults?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 07:25:39 pm »

That's not a real type of room -- the types of rooms dwarves go in for parties are statue gardens (designated from a built statue), zoos (designated from a built cage, wells and dining rooms. So you can build one of those, and build all your furniture-type artifacts inside it. Artifact mechanisms can be built as a lever, and artifact weapons can be put into a weapon trap, and dwarves will have a chance to get a happy thought for admiring them, whenever they walk near them. (So it makes sense for your  artifact vault to be long and skinnyish. Unfortunately there's no way to display craft or clothing type artifacts (yet!) but you can build stockpiles that will accept only artifact-quality goods, in the same area, if you like.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 08:20:47 pm »

Yeknow I've always felt we should actually have vault rooms to store money and valuables. It could be spawned from a chest/coffer.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 08:49:02 pm »

Yeknow I've always felt we should actually have vault rooms to store money and valuables. It could be spawned from a chest/coffer.

great, yet another room that the nobles will require me to build for them, and if we're lucky, the things stored in the vaults won't spawn "lesser's pretentious vault" bad thoughts... you stored that artifact beany baby in the mayor's vault? whups, the count is upset and now wants you to make 10 clear glass breastplates to put in his own vault...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:07:28 pm »

great, yet another room that the nobles will require me to build for them, and if we're lucky, the things stored in the vaults won't spawn "lesser's pretentious vault" bad thoughts... you stored that artifact beany baby in the mayor's vault? whups, the count is upset and now wants you to make 10 clear glass breastplates to put in his own vault...
Sounds like it would be tremendous Fun!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 09:37:24 pm »

Vaults should exist for many reasons:

1. Storage areas for your most valuable crafts/gold bars/artifacts/etc. which siegers and thieves should try to find and penetrate

2. Ever played Angband? A "vault" is an extremely deadly room full of a shitload of traps and amazing loot...also, generally a bunch of ancient dragons, lich kings, ringwraiths, summoners and other godawful monsters. That part doesn't quite fit in with an active dwarf fortress, although some chained or caged dragons could be used to guard the hoard...
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 09:44:47 pm »

Vault should be public, probably with permissions (or at least option to make public, like dining hall).

And yes. Traps.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 10:08:01 pm »

My typical vaults are just huge rooms at the very bottom of the mountain, right below tombs, with masterpiece engravings and stockpiles of gems, artifacts and gold/silver/platinum stuff, with access points defended by traps. Would be nice if thieves would go for most valued items rather than grabbing nearest XXsockXX, so it would make sense to defend it.
Public vaults are kind of out-of-scenario, i believe. Why would dwarves let their precious thingies be easily accessible?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 08:55:02 am »

Vaults could also serve as some sort of patrol points for the otherwise near-useless Fortress Guard.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 01:51:38 pm »

A room which gains value from the items inside it would be nice; however, I'd wait until whichever arc rebalances the economy.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 02:25:41 pm »

Adding display altars or the possibily of choosing something to be stored in coffers/chests would be a nice plus to this. Display altars could spawn a room akin to a statue garden and let dwarves admire the artifact and get good thoughts from it.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 07:14:25 pm »

A room which gains value from the items inside it would be nice; however, I'd wait until whichever arc rebalances the economy.
Rooms already gain value from the stuff in them.  That's what the whole "meager/decent/legendary" modifiers for rooms comes from.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 07:55:29 pm »

Rooms already gain value from the stuff in them.  That's what the whole "meager/decent/legendary" modifiers for rooms comes from.

That's only for furniture items, though.  Loose items, or items placed upon or within furniture items, don't get counted, to my knowledge.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 08:24:06 pm »

That's only for furniture items, though.  Loose items, or items placed upon or within furniture items, don't get counted, to my knowledge.

This was what I meant. A compromise could be a room defined from a chest, valued by the chest's contents.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 08:37:34 pm »

Display altars sound great. I wonder if there's already a suggestion for it? Build them like ropes or cages and assign crafts to each one.
Pages: [1] 2