Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Sci-fi RTD, plus testing fractional modifiers (Turn XII. Perpetual signups)  (Read 12469 times)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile

Very in!
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.

~~~~~~~~~~~~TURN 03~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spoiler: actions (click to show/hide)

As he suspected, the arrival was just as cluelessly lost as Frederick IV was. By the discussions, the two conclude that their location is unlikely to be a military base, so it is probably a space station or a space ship. And it appears unoccupied, at least in this room. They are too busy talking to bother exploring outside of the room.

While they discuss their surroundings, another human is fully regenerated...

Statuses:
Quote from: Nirur Torir(Frederick IV)
Inventory:
  • Toolbox
  • universal wrench
  • dented crowbar
  • batteryless electromagnetic screwdriver
  • various spare wires
  • depleted laser pistol
Quote from: Rashilul(needs name)
Quote from: dragnar
New arrival

I will sketch a map, and if it turns out, you will get neat pencil art of what you can see.
Eh?
Eh!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

Look for a computer terminal to get some information about where we are, and maybe a map of the complex.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think about what my name is and try to find a way out.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:59:20 pm by Rashilul »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I search for batteries.

I'm going to be sad if I have to hit several highly hostile aliens with my crowbar to get them.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

How is that sad? You could always change your name to gordon freeman: theoretical physicist, warrior(somehow), hero!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I get the feeling that has about as much chance of failing and turning me into mush as ascending to godhood.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Changing your name is a free action, same as deciding what it is. You just don't need to specify it beforehand, and any name changes must propagate through the players(anyone without communication contact will not recognise the new name at first), but otherwise happen without needing a roll.

Also: When I finally finish, scan, and upload the drawing, you will have a better understanding of where you are. It has semi-perspective(not quite intentional, so it is unmeasured but it doesn't really matter...)

I will leave it to you to ask what the various parts mean, so as to avoid drawing your attention to potential plot devices or to false trails. These explainations will not be linked to the turn.
Eh?
Eh!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

in.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eh?
Eh!

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile

Is that sticky out bit where we teleport in?
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile

Can I still come in?
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

IN?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, there is room on the waiting list for everyone on the internet, though I would start killing off millions of potential players a turn if that happened.

Realistically, when I feel I have enough, the teleporter will break, lose power, or start sending supplies for a while, or even just pause for someone to answer a yes/no question, and delay until someone does.

Right now, I just need ot actually bother to write.
Eh?
Eh!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is that sticky out bit where we teleport in?

Kinda. Realistically, the teleporter is in the wall, taking up much more room than the area you are in. That bit sticking out is where the reassembly chamber enters the room to unload. There is likely an industrial unloading point elsewhere, but all of the current teleportation queue has this one set as it's destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~TURN 04~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler: actions (click to show/hide)

The still-unknown named seccond arrival heads off to the teleporter control terminal to find location information. He/she deosn't, except that the teleporter's intergalactic name is SS-4810487, basically confirming that they are either on a space station or a space ship, or someone wants them to think they are.

The latest arrival tries to remember their name, though it escapes them at the moment. They easily find the door on the wall facing the teleporter exit, and open it(it opened noisily, it certainly hadn't been maintained in at least a month, but the motor still worked, so it couldn't have been over 10000 years old. However, the state of everything would put the age of the structure less than 10 years old, or at least it had had routine maintainence within that time, as no rust could be seen, and the standard dust filters appeared to be in effect). The door leads into a corridor heading both directions. It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue The lights do not appear to be on, outside of the teleporter room, likely indicating power conservation in effect, or that whoever was/is here dowsn't want to be found by any passing ships.

Frederick goes searching for batteries, and finds plenty! There is the depleted one in the laser pistol, the emergency backups in the intercom unit on the wall, and the batteries in the (currently inactive) emergency lights. He swaps the emergency light battery with his depleted one(The emergeny light will automatically charge it slowly, though a real battery charger will faster...), and buts the fresh battery into his screwdriver! (5) He does an excellent job in the swap. MAybe he  had some electrical skills before he lost his memories?
(Prior Electrically Skilled: All electrical-related experience is doubled until rank 3 skill. +2(x2) basic electrical skill experience. basic electrical 4/4: rank up. Now rank 1: +(1/6) bonus to all electrical attempts. electrician skill category +1: now 1/4. basic electrical skill: 8 exp needed to advance again.)

The teleporter continues it's mindless work, and churns out another human.

Statuses:
Quote from: Nirur Torir(Frederick IV)
Inventory:
-Toolbox
  • universal wrench
  • dented crowbar
  • fully charged electromagnetic screwdriver
  • various spare wires
  • laser pistol(no battery)

Skills:
-Electrical(1/4)
  • basic electric:{1,0/8}. +(1/6) to all related rolls
Quote from: Rashilul(needs name)
Quote from: dragnar(needs name)
Quote from: DaPatman
New arrival

Universe lore:
Dates: The years are counted either in OD(old date) format, or ND(new date) format, with ND starting from 0 in the mid 24th century, ND. When discussing time, the length of a minute or second remains unchanged, but each day is split into 24 equal langth hours. To distingush between these and earth hour or day measures, LT or ET is appended, for Local Time and Earth Time.

Currency: New Currency(NC), formed in the twenty second century, OD, on earth. It was a unanimous decision not to name it after any currency of the time and designed primarily for interplanetary use, where currency conversion would just be an unnessecary hassle.

Teleporter ID: Every teleporter, or at least *nearly* every teleporter has a unique ID name registered with the central teleportation mainframe. Usually they follow the guidelines of A-B, where A and B are alphanumeric strings, though in only costs an extra thousand NC to register a nonstandard name. There are nonessential guidelines to the naming scheme, usually using the A group to distinguish destination type, but, again, they are guidelines, not rules. The B-group is often numbers, and the A-group usually comes from this list:
  • PT: Planetary teleporter
  • ID: Industrial destination
  • SS: space ship or space station
  • SSh: space ship
  • SSt: space station

And so on.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 08:06:19 pm by qwertyuiopas »
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10