Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73777 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2009, 12:24:51 pm »

Because your absolute determination that people neer let honour get in the way of victory clashes violently with the history i have learned and been taught; especially history in Japan and, to a lesser degree, the rest of Asia, where combat and life in general became heavily ritualised to the point of rediculousness.

Although even then there were people in feudal era Japan who broke tradition to 'win' so to speak; they were referred to as Ninja.

No I said that people didn't let honor get in the way of winning, or if they did, they lost.  And no, ninja weren't the only honorless people in Japan.  Basically any Daimyo that really wanted to win would have to be dishonorable even if they wanted to survive.  It just takes one person not following the rules to screw it up for everyone.  Peasants had no need for honor being that if they were forced to fight, they wouldn't be subject to any of those considerations from their enemies, because they weren't Samurai.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:28:55 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2009, 03:03:45 pm »

Ioric, why do you find it so hard to believe that people can fight honorably in the old days? You can find plenty of examples of honor taking place practically anywhere in human history, with victory to the participants.

One that comes into mind: the first fight between the Muslims and the Pagans.

To give you the setting, the Pagans had been killing Muslims, throwing crap at their leader and insulting him, and when they finally left Mecca, they had their houses robbed and assassins were sent to kill Muhammed. Finally, deciding that they had been harrassed for long enough, the Muslims got 300 able bodied men against an army of 3000.

Fights back then started by calling for the three champions to duel. Despite how both sides hate each other, this went through perfectly, and when the battle was fought the Muslims won with ridiculously low casualties on their side and ten times as many on the enemy side. The Pagans never even thought to swarm the Muslims, otherwise the outcome was impossible.

If you want to know whether a man can physically overcome enemies single handedly, then look no further than Antar bin Shadad, a Pre-islamic ex-slave turned warrior that wrote and recited poems about how big of a badass he was. He won nearly every battle he was in, no matter what the odds were, and people presumable shat their pants and dug their graves as soon as they saw him, providing they didn't die first. He had his fair share of scars from his reckless behaviour, but he still won more than most men.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2009, 03:09:03 pm »

You can find plenty of examples of honor taking place practically anywhere in human history, with victory to the participants.

Yeah the honor system came at a time when it was desperately needed. (Or Chivilry)

Sure you could try ignoring the honor system / Chivilry. Good luck with that since you will need it.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2009, 03:27:56 pm »

If you want to know whether a man can physically overcome enemies single handedly, then look no further than Antar bin Shadad, a Pre-islamic ex-slave turned warrior that wrote and recited poems about how big of a badass he was. He won nearly every battle he was in, no matter what the odds were, and people presumable shat their pants and dug their graves as soon as they saw him, providing they didn't die first. He had his fair share of scars from his reckless behaviour, but he still won more than most men.
Somebody bragging to be the biggest badass ever isn't much of a proof for anything.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2009, 03:35:11 pm »

That wasn't the basis. The fact that he was able to brag about his deads does count for something though, considering that he had witnesses that could say he was on the battle field, and started to write poetry years later. Pre-islamic Arabia was basically one war after another, and he participated in a significant part of a thirty year war between his tribe and another.

This is all that wikipedia can say about him, which is pretty inadequete in my opinion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarah_ibn_Shaddad

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2009, 04:47:29 pm »

Lots of people survive wars. I still think he's just a braggart. Anyone trying to take on multiple enemies at once would get turned into a shishkebab. You just can't solo a group of spearmen.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2009, 06:15:38 pm »

thatguyyaknow: Hahaha! That's fricking funny. I can definitely imagine how that works in real life though. It reminds me of Neville Chamberlain and Hitler.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 05, 2009, 11:15:51 pm »

Lots of people survive wars. I still think he's just a braggart. Anyone trying to take on multiple enemies at once would get turned into a shishkebab. You just can't solo a group of spearmen.

Sure you can; the trick is to not die before they do.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2009, 11:36:08 am »

You can't solo a group of spearmen, but I think a group of swordsmen might turn their friends into shishkebabs :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2009, 12:43:26 pm »

There is a difference between being daring and downright idiotic. Besides, you only get to be a poet in pre-islamic Arabian societies if you are actually famous, and him being a poet means that he makes the large decisions, since poets were also full time politicians. Given that he was a slave at birth, that means a lot.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2009, 05:43:42 pm »

So he had to become a free man, become famous, survive all those battles and become a politician before he could say how awesome he was.

Now, I know he could have just become famous by accident, survived the battles without doing much and become a free man by... I don't know, some prank involving grapefruit and a live cow, but really, it seems far more likely he was a bad ass.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 06, 2009, 07:20:40 pm »

I'm not saying he wasn't a badass, I'm just saying he was exaggerating.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2009, 02:27:33 pm »

best thing about the third age mod?

a full army of mordor catapults also works as cave trolls once they're out of ammo, insta win army

That sounds kind of game breaking.

it is for the few battles you can sustain that army

it takes ages to build and while you have it every other army you have must be small, because otherwise you're going to go into the red financially. and if you try to stay out of the red then you have a series of small armies that can be easily beaten by other factions. the troll catapult army is a very specific strategy
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2010, 12:11:40 pm »

Right now im playing two campaigns, One as holy roman empire (Hile mein Kaiser!) in the original game and the apaches in the americas campaign. In the Vanilla im in a war with the Polacks(and im raeping them) and Milan. Somehow Milan got ridiculously strong and attacked me for no reason (Stepped into one of my forts when I had no troops) after that the went on a complete rampage attacking me and shit. So far ive been holding them off with my teuctonic knights (Your enemy has 500 pike! Build 5000 Knights!) and hordes of peasant archers. Im just attacking poland because I need more land and I just fucking hate polacks. In the americas im the apaches with 12 regions currently fighting off the french.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2010, 05:19:56 pm »

Right now im playing two campaigns, One as holy roman empire (Hile mein Kaiser!) in the original game and the apaches in the americas campaign. In the Vanilla im in a war with the Polacks(and im raeping them) and Milan. Somehow Milan got ridiculously strong and attacked me for no reason (Stepped into one of my forts when I had no troops) after that the went on a complete rampage attacking me and shit. So far ive been holding them off with my teuctonic knights (Your enemy has 500 pike! Build 5000 Knights!) and hordes of peasant archers. Im just attacking poland because I need more land and I just fucking hate polacks. In the americas im the apaches with 12 regions currently fighting off the french.
The best direction for the HRE to expand is actually to the west, only france there and they like to suicide themselves against the english forever.

Also, call a warpath every time it's up. It allows you to blitz towns halfway across the map and you get a ton of free mercs to do it with.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 50