Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73739 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2009, 12:50:24 am »

No, technically it's supposed to be one on one.

In reality, however...
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2009, 01:03:14 am »

In reality it's a bloody game and you have a badass ninja cyborg samurai kicking the ass out of scrubs single-handedly like the major badass he is.

Is this becoming the new dragon age thread? Why do we jump into semantics in all these fucking game discussions guys? Are we talking about games here?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2009, 01:09:41 am »

In reality, however...

Neruz said that a single guy holding off an entire army is technically realistic because they were supposed to follow the ethics of honorable combat.  That statement is wrong.  It is not technically realistic because they technically would not have done that.  What would be technically accurate would be for them to ignore ethics because it's the Sengoku Era and they've got a battle to get to and just swarm the idiot to get him out of the way.  They also technically were not challenging him one on one, but were instead swarming him.

Semantics is the difference between truth and fiction.

Anyway, back on topic.. Anyone tried the Otherworld mod?  Or how about the mod that applies all the features of the kingdoms expansions to the original game?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2009, 01:29:44 am »

In reality, however...

Neruz said that a single guy holding off an entire army is technically realistic because they were supposed to follow the ethics of honorable combat.  That statement is wrong.  It is not technically realistic because they technically would not have done that.  What would be technically accurate would be for them to ignore ethics because it's the Sengoku Era and they've got a battle to get to and just swarm the idiot to get him out of the way.  They also technically were not challenging him one on one, but were instead swarming him.

Semantics is the difference between truth and fiction.

Anyway, back on topic.. Anyone tried the Otherworld mod?  Or how about the mod that applies all the features of the kingdoms expansions to the original game?

You might think it's wrong, but Japanese historical records beg to differ; there are many recorded cases of two armies chilling while the samurai get all their duels over and done with, and a couple of instances where the entire battle was decided on who won the duels. There's even one famous swordsman who was known for (amongst other things) sneaking into an enemy army and killing their general in one-on-one combat, causing the entire army to retreat and leave the field of battle right then and there.

You're seriously underestimating just how ritualised combat was.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2009, 01:48:09 am »

Of course you wouldn't record that some peasants offed an annoying lone samurai standing on a bridge.  Again though, your original statement was wrong because they weren't in one on one combat.  He simply held off the entire army.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2009, 02:45:08 am »

Culturally, they'd probably fight it off one on one. After all, there's no honor in beating down a guy with 20 people. It shows that you don't got the balls or the skill to fight him alone. But then a fully armored samurai fighting an untrained peasant who's not even a warrior is not at all a fair fight.

Realistically, combat is about honor. War is about winning. In the modern world, you have battlefield fights to determine who's the strongest in a war. Terrorism, assassination are all dirty moves, but people still use them.. Historically, knights and samurai fight toe-to-toe in a real war. Hitting someone in the back is a dirty move. Shooting them is an even dirtier move. Crossbows were unethical because an untrained peasant could bring down a noble knight, guns were considered as unethical and destructive as nukes today. But hey, it wins the war.

Tactically, the guy is on a bridge. There's limited space for them to fight.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2009, 03:22:08 am »

Combat in war is about killing your enemy.  If he was fighting them one on one it means they were also samurai.  Even Miyamoto Musashi himself could barely handle 70 trained swordsmen alone (assuming that story is even true).    Anyway, this whole argument is meaningless since he wasn't fighting them one on one, he was fighting them all at once.  Most likely they were peasant soldiers so they would have just surrounded him and skewered him with their Yari.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2009, 05:38:25 am »

OI! *cracks whip* Get back to working on th' pantheon!  ;)

Sorry to break it to you, but the Pantheon is in Rome. ;)

Incidentally I still am waiting for a game that is basically total war where you can play as an actual character in the game.

Mount & Blade?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2009, 05:40:03 am »

Combat in war is about killing your enemy.  If he was fighting them one on one it means they were also samurai.  Even Miyamoto Musashi himself could barely handle 70 trained swordsmen alone (assuming that story is even true).    Anyway, this whole argument is meaningless since he wasn't fighting them one on one, he was fighting them all at once.  Most likely they were peasant soldiers so they would have just surrounded him and skewered him with their Yari.

Combat in a ritualised society is about winning, winning may or may not have anything to do with killing someone.

And yes, i know the one Samurai holding off an army on a bridge is literally wrong, that's why i said technically right; as in the overall effect of 'one samurai on a bridge delays an entire army' is somewhat correct for the period and location, even though the means through which he did so in the game is incorrect.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2009, 07:51:54 am »

Playing third age mod now, isengard uruks are OP. Not to the extend of the roman legionnaires but so far i've conquered most of rohan, who are still refuse to use horses beyond their general's bodyguard ad everything west of the misty mountains. now prepping a one turn war against the OotMM so the pope sauron doesn't get pissed at me.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2009, 09:02:08 am »

The mods I use-
   *Custom Campaign
   *Retrofit mod
   *Kingdom of the Scots
   *Clouds Across Europe
   *Ultimate AI

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2009, 12:11:18 pm »

Playing third age mod now, isengard uruks are OP. Not to the extend of the roman legionnaires but so far i've conquered most of rohan, who are still refuse to use horses beyond their general's bodyguard ad everything west of the misty mountains. now prepping a one turn war against the OotMM so the pope sauron doesn't get pissed at me.
I'm starting to think that army wise, Third Age is remarkably well balanced except for two things.

1. Eriador sucks.
2. Dwarves are criminally slow but retardedly powerful. Enjoy spending 90% of battles chasing people cross the map. They get cheap sucky cavalry mercenaries but it's still necessary to pin them every time in a pincer movement since you are slower than stock skirmishers. And don't even get me started on mounted archers.

Bonus: Playing as Elves makes it easy to curbstomp everyone with hardly any losses, but that's due to a failure of the AI.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2009, 12:33:25 pm »

I'm starting to think that army wise, Third Age is remarkably well balanced except for two things.

1. Eriador sucks.
2. Dwarves are criminally slow but retardedly powerful. Enjoy spending 90% of battles chasing people cross the map. They get cheap sucky cavalry mercenaries but it's still necessary to pin them every time in a pincer movement since you are slower than stock skirmishers. And don't even get me started on mounted archers.

Bonus: Playing as Elves makes it easy to curbstomp everyone with hardly any losses, but that's due to a failure of the AI.

I played as the sylvan elves for 5 or so turns before i realized that having long range artillery, close range fire support and heavy duty infantry all in one unit made the game too easy. Kind of like the teutonic campaign where all you had to do was build more and more order spearmen and deploy them as a big, spiky blob in order to win.

Also, imo, trench warfare should be less efficient. Spam the biggest siege engines you have, guard them with infantry and cram as many archers between them as possible. Then you can go AFK in the knowledge that you have a 80% chance of winning, assuming you aren't eriador and your opponent isn't mordor, sylvan elves or harad. If they are, replace infantry with pikes.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2009, 02:36:40 pm »

Combat in a ritualised society is about winning, winning may or may not have anything to do with killing someone.

And yes, i know the one Samurai holding off an army on a bridge is literally wrong, that's why i said technically right; as in the overall effect of 'one samurai on a bridge delays an entire army' is somewhat correct for the period and location, even though the means through which he did so in the game is incorrect.

If you mean that it was technically correct behavior as laid down by the samurai code of ethics, I can agree.  If you still mean that it was technically realistic like you originally said, you're still wrong for all the reasons already stated.  People who conquer others don't let honor get in the way.  Maybe some minor lord who really didn't stand a chance in the scheme of things would do it, but power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.  Anyone with a large army and somewhere he needed to be would not stop to risk his samurai challenging a lone idiot to single combat.

Incidentally I still am waiting for a game that is basically total war where you can play as an actual character in the game.

Mount & Blade?

Mount & Blade is more like a medieval pirates clone.  Nothing like a total war game.  Way too few soldiers, no formations real formations, aside from a single line.  Not real strategy besides stop and go.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2009, 07:38:55 pm »

best thing about the third age mod?

a full army of mordor catapults also works as cave trolls once they're out of ammo, insta win army
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 50