Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73727 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2009, 11:32:15 pm »

I played the demo.

I keep waiting for them to release Shogun 2 Total War with super awesome 3d graphics and sieges and whatnot but horrible AI.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2009, 01:35:51 am »

Implying Total War series has ever been balanced.
Ah yes, flashbacks to memories of one unit in Shogun holding an entire bridge off against a host of enemies.  ::)

I apologise, you appear to have fabricated my post out of thin air; i did not imply that Total War was balanced, i said that being a game, the developers were presumably concerned about balance.

I said nothing as to how successful their concerns were.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2009, 01:50:18 am »

I apologise, you appear to have fabricated my post out of thin air; i did not imply that Total War was balanced, i said that being a game, the developers were presumably concerned about balance.

I said nothing as to how successful their concerns were.
Don't worry, I'm not trying to fabricate anything, I was merely addressing the point sarcastically that I highly doubt CA was worried about balance or realism when they failed to add an aspect of Medieval 1 into Medieval 2.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2009, 10:29:43 am »

Kind of like the Spartans in Thermopylae? That's not quite unheard of, as long as that was a good unit on a narrow bridge.
Not one group of units, one unit.  ::) Surely I'm not the only one that played Shogun around here.
Same thing can happen in Rome/M2. I always keep two or three units of mercenary phalanx/pikemen to block city streets. As long as you position them correctly (ie. in such a way that the spear wall covers the entire width of the street and no enemies can get close to the soldiers), they're able to hold off huge numbers of enemies.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2009, 10:34:12 am »

No, one guy. ONE GUY.

Super Samurai gogogo.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2009, 10:41:08 am »

No, one guy. ONE GUY.

Super Samurai gogogo.

yeah, swordmaster or some such, insane people

i've been playing the third age mod recently, it completely changes and reskins total war, adds in new units, changes the map, EVERYTHING
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk97/dogstilez/?action=view&current=MORDOR.jpg
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2009, 01:04:14 pm »

The Total War games are awesome. But with great awesomeness comes great expectations. I expect my opponents to be at least logical. Rome: TW had some logic, Medieval 2 looks like it didn't. Man, if every opponent back in the Dark Ages were as stupid as the ones in the TW games, anyone could've conquered a huge empire.

I would pay for an expansion that gives challenging enemies. I end up fighting off 2000 soldiers with just 500 soldiers. The sad thing is that it's not even a big success, it's something you'd actually rely on doing for a large portion of the game.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2009, 01:09:58 pm »

I wonder if Time Commanders had a guy in a room somewhere playing the enemy general or if they used an AI? If it's an AI I would love to fight it.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2009, 01:52:09 pm »

The Total War games are awesome. But with great awesomeness comes great expectations. I expect my opponents to be at least logical. Rome: TW had some logic, Medieval 2 looks like it didn't. Man, if every opponent back in the Dark Ages were as stupid as the ones in the TW games, anyone could've conquered a huge empire.
That's kinda how it happened. Try being a Mongol warlord or a Napoleon nowadays. Bloody internet, Twitter, and cell phones will screw you over.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2009, 06:52:45 pm »

No, one guy. ONE GUY.

Super Samurai gogogo.

The ironic thing is that is technically realistic, as battle during the period of history that Shogun takes place in was highly ritualised. The army would have stopped and engaged in honorable one-on-one combat with the Samurai rather than just swarming him.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2009, 06:56:25 pm »

Loving Rome:Total War. ALways have, really, but I just finally unlocked playing as the Greeks, and I now have entire stacks of Spartans, nothing but Spartans. It's quite possibly the most beautiful thing ever experienced by mankind.

In other news...

OI! *cracks whip* Get back to working on th' pantheon!  ;)
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2009, 07:00:00 pm »

No, one guy. ONE GUY.

Super Samurai gogogo.

The ironic thing is that is technically realistic, as battle during the period of history that Shogun takes place in was highly ritualised. The army would have stopped and engaged in honorable one-on-one combat with the Samurai rather than just swarming him.

Right... the huge army of mostly peasant soldiers challenged the one annoying samurai guarding the bridge to single combat one by one...

If by technically you mean that it was technically correct behavior as outlined by the ethics of the time I can agree, but that says nothing about whether people would actually follow the ethics in this case (they wouldn't) and from what I understand they didn't engage him one on one.  He held back the entire army.

Incidentally I still am waiting for a game that is basically total war where you can play as an actual character in the game.  Like dynasty warriors, but with allot more troops, and strategy, and formations, and base building.  Something like a larger scale Rise and Fall.  I suppose I'll get something like it was ASCII graphics when DF comes to that point...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 07:04:26 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2009, 07:08:34 pm »

No, one guy. ONE GUY.

Super Samurai gogogo.

Right... the huge army of mostly peasant soldiers challenged the one annoying samurai guarding the bridge to single combat one by one...

If by technically you mean that it was technically correct behavior as outlined by the ethics of the time I can agree, but that says nothing about whether people would actually follow the ethics in this case (they wouldn't) and from what I understand they didn't engage him one on one.  He held back the entire army.

Incidentally I still am waiting for a game that is basically total war where you can play as an actual character in the game.  Like dynasty warriors, but with allot more troops, and strategy, and formations, and base building.  Something like a larger scale Rise and Fall.  I suppose I'll get something like it was ASCII graphics when DF comes to that point...

That is indeed what i meant, hence why i said 'technically'.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2009, 10:49:01 pm »

I wonder if Time Commanders had a guy in a room somewhere playing the enemy general or if they used an AI? If it's an AI I would love to fight it.

"And so tonight we come away with conclusive proof that Alexander the Great was defeated by rushing cavalry behind him, which he then ignored. From this we may conclude Alexander the Great either had terrible eyesight, or went to battle wearing blinders."

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2009, 12:38:35 am »

No, one guy. ONE GUY.

Super Samurai gogogo.

That is indeed what i meant, hence why i said 'technically'.

Well it's still wrong because it's not technically realistic.  Technically they would ignore honor for one lone samurai and just mod him and cut him down.  And technically a single samurai still couldn't have held off an entire army even facing them one on one. :P

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 50