Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73711 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2009, 02:40:34 pm »

For some reason, whenever I've played Rome for a while, 50%+ of my generals will be either insane drunk cuckolds, or invincible war bastards. Anyone I let manage cities for a while goes in to the first set, while everyone who runs around killing people goes into the second.

Means you have too much money lying around. Large amounts of monies results in corruption in you leaders.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2009, 02:56:26 pm »

But titles like 'The Mad?', when playing med2?

I get the madness even if I spend most of the game barely breaking even.
Could it be the fact that they spend long periods of time doing sod all?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2009, 03:02:18 pm »

I believe Madness traits are part of corruption; corrupt individuals often seem to go mad if they remain corrupt for too long.

In Rome, the line was 50,000 Denarii. If you had more than 50,000 Denarii in the coffers, you started to see an increase in corruption (there was also a geographical increase; people stationed far away from the capital were more corrupt than people near it.) If you ever cracked 100,000 Denarii then you should be prepared for every man and his dog to start bathing in oil and buying Kangaroos from the mystical southern lands.

'Insanity' traits can apparantly also be caused by spending too long stationed far away from the capital, i didn't know that one, but there you go.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2009, 03:58:30 pm »

My RTW keeps crashing at 289 BC  : (

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2009, 04:38:39 pm »

I'm like Andrea. Last time I was playing as the English, and I told myself "ok, let's start by conquering the entire united kingdom, it seems to be a reasonable goal. And it was : Scotland only held one city.

So I conquered some rebel cities, prepared myself to assault Scotland and allied with the French so I won't be bothered by the south. And all of a sudden, PORTUGUESE INVADED IRELAND (which were mine at the time). Portuguese. Like they don't have anything better to do than create an army and ship it to the north. So I defended myself and managed to repel the invaders (and kill the portuguese king, who was with one of the army... idiot.). But while I was fighting against them, France decided it was time to end me. So did Denmark. And Spain. And the worst of all is that the pope HATED me and keep forbidding me to counter-attack when I had the chance to do it. Grrr.

So what was intended to be a small scale regional conflict to unite UK finished to be a pan-European religious conflict. And I didn't even attacked anyone !

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2009, 04:44:28 pm »

I believe Madness traits are part of corruption; corrupt individuals often seem to go mad if they remain corrupt for too long.

In Rome, the line was 50,000 Denarii. If you had more than 50,000 Denarii in the coffers, you started to see an increase in corruption (there was also a geographical increase; people stationed far away from the capital were more corrupt than people near it.) If you ever cracked 100,000 Denarii then you should be prepared for every man and his dog to start bathing in oil and buying Kangaroos from the mystical southern lands.

'Insanity' traits can apparantly also be caused by spending too long stationed far away from the capital, i didn't know that one, but there you go.
I got the corruption traits and madness in Rome, but always spent whatever I made in a turn, so my treasury was always less than 10000, except at the start of a turn. Didn't see them in Medieval 2 at all, where I followed the same rule of "if you have any money left at the end of a turn, you're doing it wrong".
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2009, 04:55:56 pm »

Corruption always exists in small quantities; high money just substantially increases the odds.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2009, 06:40:35 pm »

the pope

Ah, him.
Next time, as soon as the "Ai on player" war starts, the first thing i do is annihilating him. So other nations actually have a casus belli against me and i can live much better without the pope complaining about me killing the christians who invaded my land. If it was for him, i would be dead in no time.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2009, 07:22:44 pm »

Insanity is great!  "Beware the pink elephant!"
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2009, 07:42:00 pm »

the pope

Ah, him.
Next time, as soon as the "Ai on player" war starts, the first thing i do is annihilating him. So other nations actually have a casus belli against me and i can live much better without the pope complaining about me killing the christians who invaded my land. If it was for him, i would be dead in no time.
Don't think you can actually defeat the Papacy in vanilla Medieval 2. He keeps respawning, all over the map. I guess you could kill all the cardinals that get elected, but that's again... a neverending cycle.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2009, 07:44:37 pm »

There can't be cardinals if you burn ALL THE F**KING CHURCHES TO THE F**KING GROUND! Ah, Moorish memories.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2009, 11:37:12 pm »

the pope

Ah, him.
Don't think you can actually defeat the Papacy in vanilla Medieval 2. He keeps respawning, all over the map. I guess you could kill all the cardinals that get elected, but that's again... a neverending cycle.
I remember in the HRE game I was playing, which I believe was also the most recent, I got pissed off when he demanded I make peace with Hungary (my former ally, in fact I believe their princess was married to my faction heir, who declared war on me and invaded, only to have the bulk of their army annihilated by the nearby garrison troops that I could field when I saw their army marching towards my border (watchtowers ftw), followed by the immediate taking of their capital by a minor task force I pulled back from the front with venice...). I had ,y best assassin take him out, and kept taking out popes until I had all the cardinals, and the pope loved me because I elected him :D. Then killed him for telling me to stop slaughtering the dumbfucks who attacked me. >:D

The easiest thing to do, as far as the smaller nations are concerned, is mass enough troops and siege engines on their borders to wipe them out in a single turn, so there's no one for the pope to tell you to stop fighting. I did that with Milan in that same HRE game. :D
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2009, 11:45:44 pm »

AI: Artificial Infallibility.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2009, 01:00:52 am »

In the mod "Kingdom of the Scots", you can play as all the factions in Britannia in addition to 5 more of the Scottish clans. Completely ignoring the point of the mod, I set out to play as Wales. King Llywelyn (starting leader) starts out as a hyper-honorable supercommander with a huge command bonus against the English. Did I mention that taking English settlements gets Wales an instant spawn of ONE THOUSAND Welsh Skirmishers?

Knowing this info, I charge the English-held town of Cardiff and take it, earning me enough reinforcements to (hopefully) hold the town. Things don't go as planned, however, and suddenly Cardiff is besieged by Edward the Scarred, King of England. He has two full armies of armored Englishmen behind him, and enough siege ladders to coat my walls. What he DOESN'T remember, however, is that you can't attach a siege ladder to a wall made of sticks. Instead of swarming over my wall in a wave of steel, the English must trickle through the main gate.

I position Llywelyn and his cavalry in a sidestreet, 500 skirmishers in the main road, 500 skirmishers to the side, and my archer battalions get to stand in the middle of the street, flaming arrows activated.

Edward's men come roaring through the gate, only to be met by a hail of some 900+ javelins. Llywelyn flies in and crumples them into a hasty retreat, and my men go back to their positions. Unfortunately, Edward is able to rally his men for another charge.

Apparently, rams can smash up stickwalls. Because of this, my palisade quickly turns to cheese while my Skirmishers throw hundreds more spears at people. Nearly three thousand Heavy Infantry are inside of Cardiff, and my people are sprinting down streets, attempting to gather in the plaza. I start thinking all is lost, when Llywelyn, kickass Welsh King that he is, charges THROUGH three battalions of SPEARMEN, and takes Edward out with a single blow. The archers and skirmishers are trying to stop the onslaught by throwing rocks, arrows, and javelins, but the waves continue to get closer to the plaza.

I decide Llywelyn is awesome, but he isn't enough. For the hell of it, I say! Hordes of angry Welsh people charge the main road, where Llywelyn is unhorsed and hackin' up some Brits. My people save Llywelyn, and proceed to rout the ENTIRE army of England, who they then chase down and kill with thrown pebbles.

Shows how overpowered soldiers with melee, ranged, and pebble attacks can be, eh?

DISCLAIMER: I tired. Writing may suck.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2009, 01:32:32 am »

The mod allows cavalry to get off their horses?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50