Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73707 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2009, 04:23:54 pm »

I liked it fairly well. English longbows were the shit. I had 500 of the guys hold off a fecking huge 1400 some man army. At the end, I'd lost maybe 100 guys while the enemy lost 800 in the charge. They were stupid enough to leave their archers and siege equipment at home, so their cavalry and infantry were all "Blood and THunder!!" Until they stood at my gate for 10 minutes taking arrows.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2009, 06:58:41 am »

I just had a really awesome battle as the Jullii in Rome.

Setup (Skip down if you don't care about the background)
I'd been marching north and putting Gauls to the sword no problem for a while, I hadn't encountered any significant obstacles yet and eventually I take the town on the far western coast of France. This has a Meeting Hall so I take the opportunity to retrain my hasiati all of whom were down to their twenties/teens, I dismiss the barbarian mercenaries I had hired to help my army leaving myself with 7 hasiati, one and a half units of war dogs, a unit of archers, a unit of velites and exactly 30 triarii. End my turn and at the beginning of the next turn I'm besieged by a fucking huge Gaulic army. A full army worth of warbands and swordsmen with a single skirmisher warband. This means they outnumber me with almost 1000 men to my 400, unfortunately I only have skeletal garrisons in the nearby towns and my nearest family member who I could use to raise a mercenary army is several turns away. So rather than let them starve me I figure I'll attack. At this point I was almost sure that I was dead just form the sheer size of the enemy army, the battle statistics screen gave me terrible odds but I sallied forth anyway.

The Battle:
So I decide to place my velites and archers behind the stockade, I march my triarii and hasiati out of my gate and arrange them in a trapezium, the wall as the longest edge two units of hasiati as the short edge and two units as each diagonal edge. Inside I place my triarii and the remaining hasiati to serve as reinforcements where needed. My general and war dogs are just inside the gate. I barely get into formation before the Gauls close in to attack, a unit of swordsmen outdistances the rest and is met by a shower of javelins they close the distance and smash into the front of my formation barely doing any damage before legging it, unfortunately my hasiati aren't the sharpest knifes in the block and have killed about 10 of their own with badly aimed javelins.

I don't have time to do anything before the entire rest of the Gauls smash into my formation the bulk of their forces concentrated on the right flank with a few in the middle and a lot on the left. (Probably a half of them on the right two thirds of the remaining ones on the left and the rest in the middle). I release the war dogs to bolster the right flank but it quickly becomes obvious my men aren't going to hold, my triarii charge the right to reinforce them and the hasiatii take the left but the middle is still buckling so my general charges the enemy forces there.

My army is locked in this struggle for agonizing second after second, slowly I can see the red dissolve swarmed over by the green of the Gauls, my troops numbers are dropping, I consider withdrawing my general to make another charge but without him theres no way the center will hold and I'll be swarmed under for sure. So I watch as my soldiers are slaughtered their moral plummeting I'm ready with my general to blow his horn as soon as the inevitable rout begins, the right flank is all but gone a few triarii and hasiatii are standing practically alone with nothing but wardogs to back them up and then suddenly I get the message "The enemy general is fleeing" And sure enough there he goes, and then slowly one by one his troops join him, the number fleeing growing and growing until eventually "You have won the battle!"

You have no idea how relieved I was, I had all but given my general up for dead which was annoying since he was my best family member by far and there was something completely awesome about the  hundreds of Gauls running from my tiny number of exhausted men. After hunting them down the statistics came back, I'd lost almost 300 men and my enemy? Over 900. Made me feel so good.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2009, 08:00:40 am »

God Gaul sucks. But they're so fun to beat. I had a similar situation.

Narbolus Martus or whatever. The besieging Gallic army numbers over one thousand, mostly single bronze chevron warbands, with bronze armor if I remember correctly. I had about 400 men, mostly hastati. They field no less than 4 battering rams and in a desperate ploy, I send my general out to remove a few, to limit the damage. He's pulled down and killed near immediately. At this point the reality of the situation hits me. I'm screwed. I decide to make them bleed for every inch and set up hastati barricades in every likely street. Somehow, my predictions are totally correct. They crash into three separate blockades of hastati and begin a brutal battle in the streets of the city. I'm constantly moving back but I'm moving back slowly, and the trail of bodies is getting bigger. Eventually, after reinforcing the mobile blockages and the complete distruction of three hastati groups, we manage to rout the enemy. I lost nearly everyone, but at the end, so did they.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2009, 08:11:59 am »

I just had a really awesome battle as the Jullii in Rome.

Setup (Skip down if you don't care about the background)
I'd been marching north and putting Gauls to the sword no problem for a while, I hadn't encountered any significant obstacles yet and eventually I take the town on the far western coast of France. This has a Meeting Hall so I take the opportunity to retrain my hasiati all of whom were down to their twenties/teens, I dismiss the barbarian mercenaries I had hired to help my army leaving myself with 7 hasiati, one and a half units of war dogs, a unit of archers, a unit of velites and exactly 30 triarii. End my turn and at the beginning of the next turn I'm besieged by a fucking huge Gaulic army. A full army worth of warbands and swordsmen with a single skirmisher warband. This means they outnumber me with almost 1000 men to my 400, unfortunately I only have skeletal garrisons in the nearby towns and my nearest family member who I could use to raise a mercenary army is several turns away. So rather than let them starve me I figure I'll attack. At this point I was almost sure that I was dead just form the sheer size of the enemy army, the battle statistics screen gave me terrible odds but I sallied forth anyway.

The Battle:
So I decide to place my velites and archers behind the stockade, I march my triarii and hasiati out of my gate and arrange them in a trapezium, the wall as the longest edge two units of hasiati as the short edge and two units as each diagonal edge. Inside I place my triarii and the remaining hasiati to serve as reinforcements where needed. My general and war dogs are just inside the gate. I barely get into formation before the Gauls close in to attack, a unit of swordsmen outdistances the rest and is met by a shower of javelins they close the distance and smash into the front of my formation barely doing any damage before legging it, unfortunately my hasiati aren't the sharpest knifes in the block and have killed about 10 of their own with badly aimed javelins.

I don't have time to do anything before the entire rest of the Gauls smash into my formation the bulk of their forces concentrated on the right flank with a few in the middle and a lot on the left. (Probably a half of them on the right two thirds of the remaining ones on the left and the rest in the middle). I release the war dogs to bolster the right flank but it quickly becomes obvious my men aren't going to hold, my triarii charge the right to reinforce them and the hasiatii take the left but the middle is still buckling so my general charges the enemy forces there.

My army is locked in this struggle for agonizing second after second, slowly I can see the red dissolve swarmed over by the green of the Gauls, my troops numbers are dropping, I consider withdrawing my general to make another charge but without him theres no way the center will hold and I'll be swarmed under for sure. So I watch as my soldiers are slaughtered their moral plummeting I'm ready with my general to blow his horn as soon as the inevitable rout begins, the right flank is all but gone a few triarii and hasiatii are standing practically alone with nothing but wardogs to back them up and then suddenly I get the message "The enemy general is fleeing" And sure enough there he goes, and then slowly one by one his troops join him, the number fleeing growing and growing until eventually "You have won the battle!"

You have no idea how relieved I was, I had all but given my general up for dead which was annoying since he was my best family member by far and there was something completely awesome about the  hundreds of Gauls running from my tiny number of exhausted men. After hunting them down the statistics came back, I'd lost almost 300 men and my enemy? Over 900. Made me feel so good.

I did almost exactly this excect that i was greek and the enemy dacian and i had a set of onagers instead of a general. Well, i had a general but  he got cornered while taking the town the turn before so his bodyguard hadn't regenerated yet so it was him+2 guards and on huge unit size i didn't want to risk his 8 admin/6 influ(he was the original manager before he got kicked out by rebels after i changed temple so his battlefield skill sucked)
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2009, 08:25:33 am »

For some reason, whenever I've played Rome for a while, 50%+ of my generals will be either insane drunk cuckolds, or invincible war bastards. Anyone I let manage cities for a while goes in to the first set, while everyone who runs around killing people goes into the second.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II: Oh Man That's Awesome
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2009, 08:39:00 am »

The AI in the Total War series has always been, shall we say questionable.

Not always. I recently tried a quick battle in the first Medieval just for kicks and had a nasty shock when the enemy utterly destroyed me. I prepared my usual setup that has served me ever so well in RTW and M2TW, a bunch of melee units with masses of archers behind them and cavalry to the side, ready to flank the approaching enemy. But instead of marching straight into the meat grinder, as the AI does in the newer games, the enemy stopped just beyond my archers' range and positioned a unit of cavalry near my own cavalry, too far to charge but close enough to join the fun should I use my cavalry to flank their infantry. I had to adjust my battle line to get the archers in range, but as I did the computer moved as well and I had to adjust again. And again. When my line was in sufficient disarray, the enemy charged and smashed right through. :-[
I have no idea why the battle AI is so much worse since RTW.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2009, 10:12:21 am »

I have both M2TW and Rome with Barbarian invasion, and I currently have two pretty fun campaigns going on.

Spoiler: Text Fortification (click to show/hide)

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2009, 10:21:41 am »

Epeiros(Greece) just smashed my last remaining fullstack of troop, using Europa Barbarorum (RTW) mod on vh/vh, time to start a new game lol. Seriously very hard to take out the damn endless wall of spearmen with nothing but light and heavy infantry and one able bodied general. I was really hoping to aviod a war with them, as I was trying to survive against the damn horde of Aedui (Gaul) pouring in from the north and the Getai must have smelled blood and jumped in.....I consider myself pretty damn good at playing the Total War series, this mod is one of the hardest for sure.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:35:58 am by jnecros »
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2009, 11:11:03 am »

This thread reminds me of an old(ish) BBC program, it was called "Time Commanders" and essentially it had a team of 4 people fight ancient battles using a modified version of Rome. It was pretty fun to watch if only to see some of the dumb ass mistakes they would make. I remember one episode where they had command of a barbarian army (Gauls I think) and they were fighting the Romans. They were told in advance that a roman army was marching to the battlefield from behind them so they decided that the best move would be to march up to the top of a hill and just stay there; totally ignoring the fact that their troops were completely geared to offense. The roman commander just sat there waiting until the reinforcements arrived and ground them to a bloody pulp.
My HoM.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2009, 11:14:12 am »

There were a couple of episodes where they did better than the real generals, winning when history says they should have lost.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRqEde1H3y4 Watch a netball team fight the Battle of Leuctra. This is not a case of the team doing better than history.

EDIT2: V: Do you mean the second one? The first works fine for me, but here's a link to the second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFCGYUaRDJY
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 11:33:10 am by Akigagak »
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2009, 11:30:55 am »

The video seems to be broken.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2009, 12:00:58 pm »

Okay, I am, officially, financially incompetent in Medieval II. Currently, I went from earning about six hundred flourins to losing two thousand, in the beginning no less. Currently, there is a high fine for being part of the crazy, happy, frisky, people of york, but there is only so much high taxes can do over the long run. The graph of my economy clearly shows me taking a nosedive, and, for some weird reason, my production fell to exactly 0 on turn nine before bouncing back up.

Long story short, how on Earth do I make money? I want to subdue Europe as soon as possible, but finances seem to get in the way...

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2009, 12:14:41 pm »

Only use troops you can hire in cities/castles to garrison them, unless there is a massive emergency. If it's is big enough you get a certain amount of free upkeep.

Keep armies to a reasonable size.

Loot, pillage, and ransom anything and everything.

Let slip the nerds of war! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKg_RaAsj9Q&feature=related
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:23:54 pm by Akigagak »

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2009, 01:01:19 pm »

My HoM.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2009, 01:26:09 pm »

Another story of against all(well, most) odds victory in Rome: Total War. (Vanilla this time.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:29:00 pm by sluissa »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 50