Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73715 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #645 on: January 04, 2012, 05:23:52 pm »

Total War: Three Kingdoms would be nice. China in the 300th century.
I believe china will have guns in the 300th century. By chance do you mean the 4th century?
It is the year 300001 and the chinese hordes are rampaging across galaxy 4491b in dimension 39. Can they be stopped?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 05, 2012, 03:33:54 pm »

This all sounds great, too bad I can't even run Empire on my computer. I need to get a copy of Rome but there's only one second hand game store near me and they only sell stuff for consoles.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 05, 2012, 03:42:57 pm »

Give a try to the shogun 2 demo. It is vastly improved from empire performance wise.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 05, 2012, 04:37:29 pm »

their is steam, but the downloads can muck up sometimes so :P depends if you have the patcience to try download a 17hour download several times untill it works.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 05, 2012, 07:11:35 pm »

This all sounds great, too bad I can't even run Empire on my computer. I need to get a copy of Rome but there's only one second hand game store near me and they only sell stuff for consoles.
Give a try to the shogun 2 demo. It is vastly improved from empire performance wise.
This is very true. My computer can run Shogun 2 acceptably on Ultra (minus shaders) and runs like molasses on medium with Empire. The art direction of the series changed rather a lot between Empire and Napoleon (which I can also run quite well), and I think that probably has a lot to do with it.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 05, 2012, 07:24:37 pm »

I bought Shogun 2 during the Steam Winter sale, but the units all look incredibly bad. By digging around in the menus I was able to get everything else looking decent, but people have these horrible low-poly balls for heads and dark stains where their faces should be. Most of them don't even display necks and some of their armor doesn't show up.

I've run two cache validations at this point, but just can't get the character models to stop being awful. Is there some trick to this? A display setting I've missed? It was kind of funny for awhile, but I'd like my characters to have faces.
... and then it explodes!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 08, 2012, 03:21:03 pm »

You should take a screenshot.

FRAPS is probably the most easy was to do this.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 08, 2012, 03:39:05 pm »

It's on Steam, just hit the screenshot button.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 08, 2012, 05:45:46 pm »

when do you think the next Total War game will take place?

I'm hoping in vain that they do Viking: Total war; spanning the entire dark ages, all over Europe, about as much campaign mode detail as EU3, and historical realism. I'd take a Rome 2: total war though.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:14:54 pm by Svarte Troner »
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 08, 2012, 05:59:15 pm »

TW has never really been that big on realism, in fact it tends to skew it a lot in favour of trying to balance sides.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 08, 2012, 07:26:08 pm »

I'm kinda glad they do. I mean, some factions are still underpowered but its fun that they can compete still. I mean the Scots are great... Till you get to that point where people have something that can kill your highlanders, then you're fucked. But its great fun during the first years
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 08, 2012, 07:35:53 pm »

I like the approach, but the battle AI needs serious work. Also, what are your favourite factions? I like Venice for the decent starting position and awesome heavy infantry. Because really, feudal knights are close enough to every other heavy cavalry that there is no real difference I don't even lose anything in the deal. Also, the Italian militias are fucking awesome.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 08, 2012, 07:56:44 pm »

Have to say i love the danes.
Their archers are basicaly medium infantry in disguise. As soon as you break out and start being able to make army stacks to full, youll steam roll most other forces by sheer heavy infantry grinding.
Their warrior monks are badass horsemen as well.

English is fun to play as. Billmen and longbows tend to murderate most infantry based foes.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 08, 2012, 08:17:37 pm »

I can't decide between Moors, Spain and England.

Moors are fun to play as due to having to spread religion aggressively to win (not many other factions have to do that) while having a brilliant mix of christian and islamic (i think) units.

Spain have the conquistidores (also a word I cannot remember how to spell) and excellent cannons, however it does get a bit boring later on when that becomes all you're using. You eventually have to force yourself to use different units. I ended up putting arquebuses (however you spell that) on a hill with conquistadores defending just for lulz, even though the gun units in that game suck/

England are brilliant to play as, however they're not a faction i'm really aggressive with when I play as them. They're suited almost entirely for defensive warfare, drawing the enemy into killzones and holding them there while the archers do a lot of the work for you. They'd be my favourite if every battle didn't end up with me using spearmen and longbowmen

Although I suppose the majority of my complaints exist because the AI has about three strategy's so I don't really get a chance to change it up.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50