Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73800 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #450 on: March 15, 2010, 04:26:31 am »

Let's put it this way, you're facing a line of guys with guns.

Would you rather be facing the larger line of guys with guns or the small side of a box line?

Because in Empire and Napolean, the latter is more effective against cavalry because "boxes scare horses"- and they couldn't properly program what square formations actually do - unlike how they made spears work in medieval and rome.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:32:01 am by KaelGotDwarves »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 15, 2010, 04:38:23 am »

It does prevent swarming from the faster moving cavalry though. That's one thing it has going for it.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 15, 2010, 07:46:36 pm »

So i've been playing as Sicily.

The black plague has just subsided and my army sits on the bridge to Venice. One thousand men strong. A general, five units of Italian spear militia, 8 units of pavice crossbow militia, 4 catapults and 2 units of halberd militia are guarding the bridge and the city against any who might dare oppose them. For the past thirty years the Imperial army and two thousand of their rabble block my land trade. The land rabble consists of countless archers. Countless spear militia, a few catapults and ballista's  and two very juicy targets. The king of the rabble himself.

Lord Gertrude and his general. A man of little importance who's name escapes me. PAH! It doesn't matter now. He is dead! They are all dead! The rabble have scattered far north into Danish territory.

After thirty years of watching the imperialist pigs get fat while the battle hardened warriors of Sicily continued to equip themselves with better armour and become more experienced with blade, bow and catapult, with funds plummeting, with Sicily getting desperate, the men grew bitter and charged across the bridge onto the hills and engaged twice their number on the plains.

At first the situation seems hopeless, even with only half the opposing army there. The men decide to stay back. Trying to bait the enemy in range of their superior archers and catapults. But the enemy waits. They sit on the other side of the hill waiting for their reinforcements. They get them and still they wait.

At this point their general decides to go for a solitary group of crossbow militia that I have left out in the open away from my troops. He charges by himself, clearly thinking his unit can outmatch the crossbows of my men...

He was wrong.

In an instant three quarters of his men were cut down by withering crossbow fire. He turns tail and runs but that just puts him in range of my catapults which fling eight flaming rocks at him. They all miss him... and sink into his front line. taking out a big chunk of each unit it hits.

Their army surges into action. They move forward into range of my crossbows and my men slaughter the untrained militias as they charge forward. When they get close they realise their mistake as my spear militias thrust cold iron into their chests. The numbers of the enemy seem to be a disadvantage when the enemy's catapults cannot fire at my men safely, but my catapults can fire at the back of their lines and at their catapults with little fear of friendly fire.

It looks like my men would lose, but then a stroke of luck hits as a tonne of flaming rock hits their king off his horse. He is dead. A crumpled heap of what used to be a man. Almost a second later his general gets caught up in a melee with my crossbow militia and gets caught in the back by my halberd men. They unhorse him with no casualty's and go on their merry way. My other group of halberd militias are fighting off three times their number in peasants and spearmen. My men lost half their number but fend them off and reinforce the catapult line.

After seeing their two commanding officers go down, their units are starting to panic. My general gets stuck in, slaughtering any unit that goes near the archers while my catapults destroy theirs. This is the final straw, the enemy breaks.

It starts off in small groups, but the small groups eventually become big groups, the big groups become massive groups until the entire army is running. HUZZAR! My men have done it. Skill, training and equipment have won the day against an enemy who has the advantage of height and numbers.

(This just happened, like, WHOA)

my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 15, 2010, 08:48:27 pm »

Man, I need to figure out converting from a minor city to a large city. The announce said my population was enough should I build a wall, but the wall is built and no change has been made.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 18, 2010, 05:36:07 pm »

Figured out town conversion. Man, I'm getting powned here. Portugal has like, 7 fleets of 4 holks and 2-3 cogs each, all just sailing around me in a screen and blocking narrow points. France declared war and is sieging Rennes, but have a lot of units making a zone of control screen to prevent reinforcements. So far, my 300 levy spearmen have held out against some 2000 mailed knights, armored sergeants, and peasant crossbowman, because of the wall fixtures and ballista towers. We can eliminate their units carrying ladders swiftly, and the ram usually breaks before they even come close to the gate, so they all just flee off-map, taking hard hits while they run. If I can't break them through attrition soon enough, I'm pretty sure my settlement will have to surrender.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 18, 2010, 05:38:28 pm »

Yeah, its insane to keep up with other towns. I can normally only do it as England because I have room to build my army safely while I can just defend on the mainland.

I recently hit the americas. Fun times to be had. CANNONS!
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 18, 2010, 09:02:55 pm »

Ok, now I am turning into the mess of terror I should rightfully be. I have five assault teams sieging the French border. Each general has at least 3 command, 4 dread, and 6 or so loyalty. They are all heading up an army of 3 ballista units, 5 dismounted knight units, 4 yeoman units, and 3 demi-lancers. So far, 3 sieges are finished. 2 of them I suffered under 70 losses and completely crushed the enemy. The third I took about 150 losses and ended the battle after setting their guys into a rout. At the same time, my navy is some 7 separate units of 3 holks and 2 cogs, putting down some mad beatings on the Spanish and Portuguese navies.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 30, 2010, 04:51:36 pm »

Wow holy hell that was crazy. I had France surrounded and stuck in Paris. I was bring in new troops, mainly retinue longbows and trebuchets, for the final siege, when bam. Their king rides out by himself and eliminates 4 archers, 2 catapult units, and 2 spear militias, seriously just him and his bodyguard, before he dies. The new king rides out and does the same to a different weaksauce group of mine and dies. The third king rides out and gets destroyed by one of my better groups. So on and so forth for five of their kings. It was absolutely nuts, but they were all the of age nobility France had left, so I took Paris and wiped them out completely.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 07, 2010, 11:35:26 am »

Blitzkrieg as HRE, everybody who was Christian (Except Sicily and Portugal) attacked me. My power was maximum, they could not survive. In 4 turns all of France was gone (They where the only European country that could even match my power, they had about 10 regions) and im starting on Spain (Funny thing is that they are on the coast of Europe while original Spain is divided inbetween by the Moors and Portugal) and those dirty Hungarians. The Timurids and the Mongols are still in play, the Timurids just got here. Trying to find out how to the Americas so I can buy a region in the middle east for the Aztecs, I will then wipe them out from the Americas.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 07, 2010, 01:02:43 pm »

Shrapnel cannons in empire are ridiculously overpowered because the ai is so utterly terrified of them that they refuse to get near it even when it's the only thing left on the battlefield. They just keep reorganizing just out of range. That's where the second cannon comes in, which sits next to it pounding regular cannonballs into the writhing mass for about an hour, after which, I win. While AFK.

In RTW, when I was close to winning, I made 8 armies of 20 heavy onagers, stuck them around a rebel town and attacked. I expected glorious fireball slaughter. What I got was one broken wall and 140 AI controlled onager crews trying to push their siege engines through it, resulting in a traffic jam that lasted till the map time out and the defenders won despite my own catapults killing about half their army.

So yes, the AI in all total war games is retarded, it's just easier to have it crap out in empire then in the other games.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 29, 2010, 09:18:07 pm »

Shrapnel cannons in empire are ridiculously overpowered because the ai is so utterly terrified of them that they refuse to get near it even when it's the only thing left on the battlefield. They just keep reorganizing just out of range. That's where the second cannon comes in, which sits next to it pounding regular cannonballs into the writhing mass for about an hour, after which, I win. While AFK.

If my artillery is the last thing on my side left and they won't come near it, I always just withdraw. Fair play to them and all that.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 31, 2010, 09:40:23 am »

Yeah, when the AI wait at the bottom of hills in Medieval II, I just charge them. It's not fun when you pick them all off with archers. Unless you can block out the sun.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 31, 2010, 09:53:38 am »

I got Rome a couple days ago and I really like it. Playing as the greeks is annoying though because the AI can counter them >.< Wasn't expecting that.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 21, 2011, 03:57:23 pm »

I just got excommunicated.

Had a siege and a port blockade commence on the same turn that the pope decided he'd rather i was nice to that faction.
Lifted the siege -> immediatly got excommunicated?! And thats while i'm still on my turn?!

Any way to get around this, or is there maybe a patch to fix this obvious bug?
I'm running the steam version, presumably updated to the official limits.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 21, 2011, 04:59:50 pm »

Perhaps event order got skewed, so the mission from the Pope happened before you attacked, but told you so after you'd done it?
In my game, I've realized that Venice is god. I'm playing with the Regions & Provinces mod, and I've ground out the Turks, the Byzantines, the Republic of Genoa, Hungary, and the Almoravids. This is all about 80-90 turns in.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 50