Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73847 times)

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #405 on: March 09, 2010, 04:49:22 pm »

Empire has and DLC? But thats just listing the bad parts its still a fun game.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 09, 2010, 04:58:24 pm »

It has a bunch of dlc for shit that either should have been in the game or should be free mods.

And the game is fun until you realize that the ai is retarded even on it's hardest level (I suppose it just resource cheats) and the game has many autowin buttons. Again, this is slightly more difficult in previous TA games. There's a reason so many people abuse cannon in MP.

I heard napolean fixed some of the ai quirks though, so it could be empire as it should have been.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 10, 2010, 06:42:13 pm »

if you exploit the AI of course its going to be annoyingly obvious. The trick is not to do it. Act like a real general back then would.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 12, 2010, 03:14:15 pm »

So I've been playing Napoleon for maybe 5 minutes and my impressions so far it seems nigh identical to Empire. Also apparently easy tutorials are for pussies so the land battles tutorial ended in a glorious loss for me. After all clearly it was foolish of me to think that doing exactly what they said would result in victory, everyone knows that when playing a tutorial you are expected to know exactly what you are doing already.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 13, 2010, 08:16:48 pm »

What the hell is with quests? I just got a quest, while playing as England, to get a diplomat to Egypt within 4 turns.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 13, 2010, 08:19:07 pm »

They matter even less than they did in Rome, but they usually give you decent rewards for their completion.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:28:30 pm by Jackrabbit »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 13, 2010, 08:26:49 pm »

What the hell is with quests? I just got a quest, while playing as England, to get a diplomat to Egypt within 4 turns.

I've noticed that the "Send a Diplomat to Bumfuck" quests are never actually impossible.  They're generated based on whether you have a diplomat (or princess) within a few days travel of Bumfuck anyway.  Sometimes if you don't actually know where a relevant city is, or the quest is generated because a Bumfuck diplomat is near yours, it can be pretty frustrating though.

They matter even less than they did in Total War, but they usually give you decent rewards for their completion.

Except when you get four units of Mega Feudal Knights at 8000 florins a turn upkeep, and your economy is already red-lining.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 13, 2010, 09:22:35 pm »

So I've been playing Napoleon for maybe 5 minutes and my impressions so far it seems nigh identical to Empire. Also apparently easy tutorials are for pussies so the land battles tutorial ended in a glorious loss for me. After all clearly it was foolish of me to think that doing exactly what they said would result in victory, everyone knows that when playing a tutorial you are expected to know exactly what you are doing already.
Hahaha, you lost in the tutorial? :D

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh since I haven't played Napolean yet but man... that's golden!

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 13, 2010, 10:01:58 pm »

Basically you shoot their men with cannon, check. You shoot their men with men, check. You charge their men, check. You get given general control and an army of 2 units of line infantry is set against your 2 units of line infantry who are depleted due to the earlier fight whilst your general kills theirs and the cannons sit there useless because they are entrenched and facing the wrong direction. I probably would have won I hadn't decided to experiment with the generals abilities and wasted them.

Also Napoleon still has some AI issues, the enemy still does that whole march diagonally along your line thing which simply serves to give you and advantage and I have yet to see it deploy cannons in a way which was not retarded. Most notably it enjoys deploying them directly behind obstacles such as buildings or cliff, even entrenching its artillery in a ridiculous position when so that it can be ignored for the whole battle. When not deploying in absurd locations it prefers ones which are simply out of range. Enemy cavalry seems to spend most of the battle defending the artillery which might be a useful tactic if I was at all inclined to neutralise said artillery but I generally have better things to do.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 13, 2010, 10:04:45 pm »

Also, I seem to have trouble with not being fucking awesome. I'll usually send in maybe 100 low-grade spearmen to siege a place, against 300 some enemies with cavalry, good soldiers, and decent archers. Yet, I always win through their annihilation, suffering maybe 10-15 dead on my side.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 13, 2010, 10:08:22 pm »

Also, I seem to have trouble with not being fucking awesome. I'll usually send in maybe 100 low-grade spearmen to siege a place, against 300 some enemies with cavalry, good soldiers, and decent archers. Yet, I always win through their annihilation, suffering maybe 10-15 dead on my side.

Play on a real difficulty setting.  On Hard, evenly matched battles really are evenly matched, mostly because your units can actually break in panic.  On Very Hard, they're, well, Very Hard and you need game-breaking knowledge of the controls (like the retreat/charge trick) and good numbers.

On Medium, you can pretty much expect to win every battle that isn't obviously hopeless.  Easy mod is just a tech demo.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 13, 2010, 10:30:37 pm »

I was under the impression that unit strength and morale levels were the same regardless of difficulty levels, and the only difference was the time before war declarations and speed of unit respawns. Might be mistaken though. It wouldn't surprise me.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 13, 2010, 10:36:08 pm »

Well, there's separate difficulty settings for Combat and the main game.  Combat difficulty certainly changes how likely your dudes are to run, although I don't think it has much to do with damage math.  They seem to kill each other at the same speed, your guys just break easier without high Command levels.  The difficulty for the strategic game controls how many free units the AI gets, how much free money you get each turn (the Royal Purse or whatever it's called in the finances screen), and probably other stuff like Agent success rates.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 13, 2010, 10:40:18 pm »

Well, there's separate difficulty settings for Combat and the main game.  Combat difficulty certainly changes how likely your dudes are to run, although I don't think it has much to do with damage math.  They seem to kill each other at the same speed, your guys just break easier without high Command levels.  The difficulty for the strategic game controls how many free units the AI gets, how much free money you get each turn (the Royal Purse or whatever it's called in the finances screen), and probably other stuff like Agent success rates.
I think it influences corruption too... or at least, I hope it does as it seems so arbitrary.

I enjoy fighting on very hard difficulty, as I said earlier as it's far more fun. Not very fun when you get invaded by the Mongols or Timurids though. Constantly respawning perfect gold chevron full stacks are not fun to fight.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 14, 2010, 02:05:53 am »

They are when you outnumber them ten to one.

Owning half the known world, it's only fitting that I get into epic duels with the dudes from the other half of the known world.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 50