Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73846 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #375 on: March 07, 2010, 08:41:50 pm »

I envy your computer. Mine won't run it.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 07, 2010, 10:00:31 pm »

Well, it's not my computer, really, more a family one. Also, CanYouRunIt.com is a liar. The bar hovers just below 'fast', but it can only run it on low graphics and there's a one in five chance it's going to crash during a battle. I don't know what the problem is, it should run it perfectly.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 07, 2010, 10:02:50 pm »

Empire is notorious for being a big wet dog. I don't know about Napoleon if they improved that or not, but Empire is crazy; sometimes it runs beautifully on max everything on my computer. Other times it crashes while loading graphics drivers.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 07, 2010, 10:07:05 pm »

Well I want it now. The AI retardation peaked with Medieval II, it can't have gotten worse.

Could it? Inability to make amphibious assaults notwithstanding, I hear it's been fixed.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 07, 2010, 10:12:13 pm »

I havn't noticed much improvement in Empire's AI, mostly as far as i can see the main improvements were made by removing the map features that the AI kept getting stuck on; no cities etc.

The maps are alot more open, but alot more foresty and wild as well, this is probably to balance out the fact that the main soldiers have guns, expect to spend alot of time cowering in a chunk of open terrain while invisible natives dance around in the forest.

I have noticed the AI wubs garrisonable structures, probably because they force you into melee to invade. I had the AI fill up 3 native huts on the map, each seperate from each other, and just sit in them until i came over and bonked them on the head.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 07, 2010, 10:17:33 pm »

So, how do sieges work, exactly? Forts look as boring as all hell, but it looks like you can fight in and around the various towns in your province, which looks really cool. And when you attack the main city, do you just stand outside it until they give up?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 07, 2010, 10:18:27 pm »

You fight in towns pretty much, rather than the huge fortified cities from Medieval with their windy streets. Everything is alot more open.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 07, 2010, 10:24:14 pm »

Awesome. I was sorta saddened to hear of the removal of major city battles. But I guess it makes sense, most cities by that point in history were enormous.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 07, 2010, 10:25:38 pm »

Well to be fair, most cities in America weren't.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 07, 2010, 10:29:22 pm »

SO WHY CAN'T WE UTTERLY DESTROY THEM, EMPIRE? WHY?

I mean, even getting rid of the way you could destroy any building in a city was a step back for Medieval. Why? Because demolishing a city with rockets would have been the best thing ever. That's why.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 07, 2010, 10:34:13 pm »

You can still demolish a city, and the building actually get blowed up. But if you want to do it with rockets your going to have to play for a while before you research rocketry.

Spoiler: Analysis (click to show/hide)
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 07, 2010, 10:39:40 pm »

But how, exactly, does a siege of a major city work? Is the battle fought in the countryside around the city, even if you're right next to the place?

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 07, 2010, 10:44:08 pm »

Usually for me siege maps have 1/2 to 1/4 of the map covered with houses and other structures, the other side has country, farmhouses, fields, stone walls. Some battles out in the middle of nowhere have farms and plantation houses, and mansions
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 07, 2010, 11:04:16 pm »

However if the city is fortified you have to storm a fort to conquer it.

Also I mayyyy start a AAR/LP of ETW...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:06:12 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 07, 2010, 11:07:57 pm »

*Shudders* Don't remind me of Star-Fort sieges, I still have nightmares.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50