Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73842 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #270 on: March 03, 2010, 03:57:09 am »

For some reason in my games Dublin gets attacked a hell of a lot for some reason. I mean I had one game when in 10 turns Most Christian nations were on that little patch of Ireland.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 03, 2010, 09:23:50 am »

Heh, I haven't fully gotten the hang of the campaign map, and some things slip my mind, like the whole "you don't get taxes if there's no governor" thing.  I was wondering why I was suddenly going bankrupt.  Whoops.
Shoes...

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 03, 2010, 09:55:43 am »

Huh? I'm almost certain you do get taxes without a govenor, you just can't set them directly
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 03, 2010, 09:56:18 am »

Yeah, I just noticed that.  Apparently my army is just too darned awesome.  I need to do some conquering.

Exacerbating the situation, my council rewarded me for my good work with three dismounted feudal knights, in my capital several turns from where the action is going on.

Gee, 600 more upkeep a turn?  Thanks, man, I appreciate that.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:16:03 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 03, 2010, 11:20:41 am »

You can change the tax rate in ungoverned towns by changing the build policy.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 03, 2010, 04:41:26 pm »

There's also an option you can set in the game options that will allow you to manage all towns, not just ones with governors in them. It's more work, but it can help with tweaking things just right.

Also, do more conquering. Pillage villages, defeat armies, and once you're far enough out that unrest is high and rebellions likely, exterminate the villages instead.

You can quite happily fund an entire kingdom on pillaging and exterminating and nothing else.

Also make sure all your towns have the oh-so-vital trade upgrades.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 03, 2010, 04:52:30 pm »

Problem being, without a governor, your only options are "Growth" = No Taxes or "Any Other Policy" = Super High Taxes Without The Efficiency.  But I never tried the universal management option, I thought it meant the AI managed all towns.  Game has some poorly worded options menus.

I really want to believe that the Trade upgrades generate cash, but I swear that even in the largest towns, the best trading is only a couple hundred florins a turn.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 03, 2010, 04:55:29 pm »

You can get a ton of money from trade in cities like Venice or Constantinople, but you have to actually have trade partners, ie you can't be at war with everyone.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 03, 2010, 05:11:38 pm »

Problem being, without a governor, your only options are "Growth" = No Taxes or "Any Other Policy" = Super High Taxes Without The Efficiency.  But I never tried the universal management option, I thought it meant the AI managed all towns.  Game has some poorly worded options menus.

I really want to believe that the Trade upgrades generate cash, but I swear that even in the largest towns, the best trading is only a couple hundred florins a turn.

I don't remember what the option was called, but it's in all the Total War games, i usually turn it on because i'm an efficiency freak.

Also, if you're only generating that few florins from trading, you're doing something wrong. Remember that trade upgrades include things like roads, docks and mine upgrades (not so sure about Medieval II since it has the trader guys, but in Rome a mine upgrade would increase the mine output and also increase the trade output; more goods to trade.) In my Britons game i'm racking up several thousand florins from each of my various upgraded home cities on trade alone.

There is a very good chance i could lose every city except for the ones on the isle of Britain proper and still be perfectly able to fund all four of my stupidly huge armies.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 03, 2010, 08:25:27 pm »

Also, if you're only generating that few florins from trading, you're doing something wrong. Remember that trade upgrades include things like roads, docks and mine upgrades (not so sure about Medieval II since it has the trader guys, but in Rome a mine upgrade would increase the mine output and also increase the trade output; more goods to trade.) In my Britons game i'm racking up several thousand florins from each of my various upgraded home cities on trade alone.

I meant a couple hundred florins in a trading town, not for the whole empire.  It's still nowhere close to tax income is what I'm saying.  I know about ports and roads and mines and such, and build all of them to the point of finding myself underarmed from lack of garrisoning.

Yet another epic battle; if I didn't know better, I'd swear Knight units get bonuses for being outnumbered, because I see them pulling off amazing last stands all the time, even surviving when they really shouldn't.  Playing as the Sicilians (I've abandoned Venice because the game was on Medium difficulty, and changing Unit sizes halfway through fucked everything up), I conquered Durazzo with two units each of Mounted Sergeants and Mailed Knights.  No Generals, but I did bring along my Cardinal (by mistake).  Durazzo gets converted to a castle for defending my eastern front and to retrain the cavalry, and is then left alone for several turns, to train and wait under the Cardinals peaceful watch.

A Byzantine princess shows up to offer Trade Rights.  Awesome.  Two turns later, a matching force of Byzantine noble cavalry archers, backed by mobs of militiamen and archers lays siege for no damned reason.  The princess returns, offering a peace settlement in exchange for cash.  Fifty florins a turn, for four turns.  The fuck, I say.  But the Knights of Durazzo bow to no heathen woman, let alone to sell their lives for pocket change.

Besides, surely the Greeks wouldn't attack in one season, while I bring reinforcements from Naples?

They waited on the high ground at the castle yard, watching the Byzantines wheel their battering ram to the abandoned gate, curtly joking of their new foes' sinful tastes and effete mannerisms.  The Cardinal had abandoned hopes for a peaceful resolution, and walked through the ranks giving benediction and prayers for those who would kill and die alike.  Ladders were raised, but it made no difference.  The walls were lost before the battle began, as planned.  The Greek mounted archers raced through up the main road, and the butchery began.

Lances splintered, horses dropped, arrows fell, and men screamed.  The slightly tougher Knights proper claimed the unenviable task of crashing headlong into an advance of thrice their number to stop it cold, while their mounted guards tore through the backstreets to pierce the advance in its side.  Minutes turned to hours, and for every Greek trampled beneath an armored hoof, two more took his place.  The Templar called a retreat, and the line broke away.  Thinking themselves victorious, the Varditoi wheeled about to urge his men on.  But they waited one moment too long, for the retreat was only to make space to build another charge.

Dozens died in the second rush, enough to terrify the exhausted footmen into another mistake.  They turned to run, and were cut down to a man, leaving their noble leaders in disarray as they too galloped away from certain death.  Although their mounted servants had been reduced to but a score, the Knights pressed on, and found themselves hewing through archers like wheat, before repulsing one last ragged advance from through the gate itself.  Winded but no less eager, all together tore through the castle walls to give the desperately rallying Byzantine noblemen one last swipe, before allowing themselves the luxury of dismounting to pass out.

317 horses and riders were of able body to fight.  Counting those wounded light enough to ride again, 97 remained.  Of the 635 Greeks who entered the castle, a bare 103 escaped alive.  In truth, more than twice that number had been merely crushed into the dirt but were left behind within the walls.  I could have heeded the Cardinal's plea to let them limp home.  I could have taken the Emperor's offer to buy their freedom.  Shit, I could have used the money.

But the Knights of Durazzo strike no deals with traitors and heretics.  All were put to the sword.  I was only left to wonder why I didn't get to adopt the Knight's commander into the royal family.  What more glory could be required?

Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to save Durazzo from another siege of twice that number again, with an even larger reserve for behind them.  And to save Florence from a Venetian mercenary army, fresh from their conquest of Bologna and their alliance against all reason with the Byzantines.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 03, 2010, 09:28:52 pm »

In the campaign I'm playing as the Byzantines, I gain 25000 florins per turn from taxes, and a mind-boggling 35000 from trade. Once you get 5 docklands in your biggest cities, trade alone can fund your military.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 03, 2010, 10:26:56 pm »

This is infuriating.  I was excommunicated for defending myself against the Scots, who immediately attacked me after I gave them back Edinburgh.  Now there are two or three Inquisitors running around ganking my generals and being overall tards.  Also, I'm having trouble making friends now, since in my rage at being betrayed by France and Denmark (I paid them a two-turn tribute of 2000 gold for trade rights in the hopes of gaining a new ally, and that same turn they attacked me) I stopped caring about chivalry and started massacring people.  Does the Protestant Reformation happen in this game?
Shoes...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 03, 2010, 10:31:26 pm »

Yeah, the worst is when an enemy faction is laying a town of yours under siege when the Pope asks you to stop fighting each other.

The enemies invade, and you defend yourself, causing an excommunication.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 03, 2010, 10:39:32 pm »

Defending myself has never caused an excommunication for me, and it's happened a few times. I assumed it didn't count.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 03, 2010, 10:42:56 pm »

Does the Protestant Reformation happen in this game?

Unfortunately no.  Besides, being England, you'd get the shaft if that happened, when suddenly your generals start fighting each other and a bona fide retard gets put on the throne.  By the way, you can assassinate Inquisitors, if you have any Assassins.

The enemies invade, and you defend yourself, causing an excommunication.

Somehow I managed to evade this one.  I was running Denmark and laying siege to the Holy Roman Empire, specifically their capital.  I got the "dammit guys, stop fighting" message the same turned I planned to stormed the walls.  I went ahead and did it anyway, since I was already at war with all the Kingdoms in the area.  Didn't get excommunicated.  Probably because I conned the Papal States into allying with me.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 50