Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73785 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2010, 02:28:02 pm »

What happens if you wipe out every christian nation, thus killing every single priest, without building more of your own and while assassinating any owned directly by the papacy?
Apparently there will be no pope, but it's never been tested before.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2010, 03:33:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure you'd meet even the Long campaign requirements by then.  I suppose you could mod it and try.  It might just make the game bug out though.

I do belive I have the coolest emperor ever.

His name is Dimarus the Mauler, he has full command and dread. He is homosexual and utterly insane.
In the words of Hot Wheels, Beat that!

Is it just me, or does ribald insanity and sodomy just break like the plague through European nobles?  It's wonder any royal lineages survived at all, considering how maligned and batshit they all turn out.  Of course, that would explain how an entire continent managed to slip into a thousand year reign of barbarism with everything it had going for it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 20, 2010, 04:09:26 pm »

It's all that inbreeding.  If you marry your sister you, as Dean and Hank eloquently put it "Have extra-retard babies"
Shoes...

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2010, 04:25:13 pm »

Oh holy shit my emperor is fucking MALCOM MCDOWELL!

He is a HRE version of Caligula!

Also just extermanated new france in the Americas campaign!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:27:01 pm by Huesoo »
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2010, 11:56:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure you'd meet even the Long campaign requirements by then.
You can keep playing, still. I have in fact tested this. The papal states will hop between christian nations as they disappear, until finally it runs out of cities to occupy. Then, there is no pope. No cardinal screen available, the pope-love tab is grayed out and unclickable, and the game deserves it for making every christian nation listen to the pope's only two words. (KILL PLAYAR!)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2010, 02:13:10 am »

I do belive I have the coolest emperor ever.

His name is Dimarus the Mauler, he has full command and dread. He is homosexual and utterly insane.
In the words of Hot Wheels, Beat that!

Is it just me, or does ribald insanity and sodomy just break like the plague through European nobles?  It's wonder any royal lineages survived at all, considering how maligned and batshit they all turn out.  Of course, that would explain how an entire continent managed to slip into a thousand year reign of barbarism with everything it had going for it.

iirc, it's because of the Corruption mechanic. There's a hidden 'Corruption' value that determines negative vices, the higher it is, the more likely characters are to get negative vices. Corruption is modified by the amount of money you have, how rich you are, how large you are, how far away a character is from the capital, how long the character has been in a single city, how long the character has been abroad, how many times the character has been bribed by diplomats, etc etc etc.

Money is usually the big one, if you have lots of money in your coffers for extended periods of time every man and his dog will end up a schitzophrenic pedophile, but near the end of the game when you have cities a looong way away from your capital and are rich and powerful everyone will end up a schitzophrenic pedophile anyway.

I'm not so sure about Medieval II, but in Rome the Corruption mechanic is rediculously overcomplicated and saved only by the fact that the only part that really matters is money, as all the other modifiers are negligable.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2010, 02:18:53 am »

It's just like Jericho.  The governor of Al-Khali was way far away from the capital and had lots of money, so he made bathtubs full of filth and disemboweled himself so he could eat people twice.
Shoes...

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2010, 08:04:39 am »

Most of my generals in Jerusalem were corrupt unbeatable war heros
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2010, 01:44:50 pm »

I think if you've killed several hundred men and conquered a couple of cities then it's standard practice to go bugger someone and get drunk on something very strong mixed with something very illegal. And of course if you're born into a family that controls a large part of the world, it's possible it could go to your head.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:04:18 pm by Jackrabbit »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2010, 01:54:23 pm »

I have to doubt that keeping a lot of money around is a big influence.  In my Venice campaign (like all campaigns), I play my economy at a razor's edge.  If I end a turn with more than 1000 florins left in my treasury, it's because I've literally run out of stuff to build.  And yet my faction heir (the son of the second son) is the only one who's not outright bonkers, and that's only because he's a quietly insane introvert.

Nobles who sit around in one place are more effected by tax rates than anything else, or at least that's an obvious influence.  The Doge himself left Venice all of three times, but never went crazy.  Instead he just turned into a heartless monster thanks to the constantly Very High Taxes and all the spies he sent out.

And I think just being related to people has something to do with it.  People adopted into the royal family, and thus separate from their corrupted genes, tend to turn out pretty solid.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2010, 02:16:15 pm »

zI think it is too, my men of the hours are awesome compared to everyone else
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2010, 02:50:28 pm »

Generally, that's because they had to earn their place.

Anyone else cull the inbred lunatics every now and again by running them into large groups of rebel spearmen? It's eiter that or shoving them into the out of the way, useless territories that never get involved in wars anymore. Like Ireland Cearnarvon, Edinburgh etc once you have control of the north sea coastline/most of Spain and western France.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2010, 03:29:50 pm »

I tend to let them lead suicide missions. I actually had a funny occurrence when I had been playing for a month. I found that one group of spearmen could usually be broken up by a general on his own so I send out my heir to deal with a lone group. Turns out he got taken out when he charged in and all of his bodyguard survived. They must have been shamed.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2010, 04:45:59 pm »

That depends on how usefull the bugger was. Also, charging spearmen from the front? Madness. Even if they can take out that unit, they'll be understrength and useless for the rest of the fight.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 21, 2010, 05:08:07 pm »

I tend to let them lead suicide missions. I actually had a funny occurrence when I had been playing for a month. I found that one group of spearmen could usually be broken up by a general on his own so I send out my heir to deal with a lone group. Turns out he got taken out when he charged in and all of his bodyguard survived. They must have been shamed.

"So let's get this straight.  My worthless son, Prince Benito the Fruitcake, decided to charge off and fight a whole mob of spearmen himself?"

"God's own truth, your majesty.  We followed of course, as duty commands."

"And the lot of you emerged unscathed?"

"Twas no trouble at all, bandits broke just as planned.  Oh, I mean, what a battle!  Blood and heroics all about sire!  By the Heavens, what a miracle to survive at all, let alone in whole!"

"A miracle indeed.  And the Prince was slain, was he not?"

"Well, that didn't go exactly as...  Ah, how forgetful of me, lord.  Spitted like a hog, he was!  As soon as we connected.  A shame upon our service, and so forth."

"Quite.  How tragic it must have been.  Er, is.  And shameful, of course.  Speaking of which, the royal family suddenly feels a member short.  Consider yourself adopted."

Shifty eyes all around.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 50