Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73791 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2010, 08:10:23 am »

Yet another problem I have with that Lord of the Rings mod, is that after I installed it, in the stock game all units are built with twice the manpower they used to have.  Infantry were 75 men, now they're 150, and so forth.  Apparently the LotR mod guys wanted big movie-style armies so damn bad they had break the engine to get them.  The problem is, it bleeds beyond the mod into my ongoing stock campaigns, and now I've got these armies with 75 man and 150 man units with the same upkeep costs.  The good part is that the AI is equally ripped off but isn't smart enough to notice.  Even so, that's some retarded mod-dickery, and I wish I'd been warned.
You can choose the unit size in options. It's sounds like you were playing on normal, and the mod switched it to huge, because those are the numbers I remember, as the first thing I do on a fresh install of it is go into options and set the unit size to the maximum.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2010, 09:12:27 am »

Not to insult your strategy, but you can defeat 30,000 Aztec peasants with a blind, one-handed gnome.

Not so. Aztec peasants have twice the defense and attack of European peasants, and they get tired much less easily than my armored folks.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2010, 10:16:48 am »

How do so many of you guys play as Scotland? They have the best melee units.. but get ripped to pieces by horse archers. No decent archers.. their highland archers are great in melee defense on the walls, but are practically worthless against most units.

My favorite is still England, because of the longbowmen. Those longbowmen are practically machine guns.. good enough to kill generals. And they're strong enough in melee to kill swordsmen and knights, but have weak defense.

Heh, I love a group with polearms (esp the weird ones), lots of archers, and some light cavalry.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2010, 03:45:38 pm »

Strategy for milan: Attack france, take everything west of the HRE, convert all castles to cities, grab the t3 barracks asap and build genoese crossbow militia. MILLIONS OF THEM. They might not win a 1v1 fight against anything mid or late game but that doesn't matter when every single t3 or larger city is capable of producing a full stack of them in 10 or so turns assuming they had a chance to fill up the unit pool a bit beforehand.

It's how i countered the mongol/timurid doom armies: by repeatedly outnumbering them with more and more useless conscripts.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2010, 05:14:09 pm »

You can choose the unit size in options. It's sounds like you were playing on normal, and the mod switched it to huge, because those are the numbers I remember, as the first thing I do on a fresh install of it is go into options and set the unit size to the maximum.

...That's what that option does?  Damn.  I thought it like... made the models bigger... or something, like a display option.  Well, color me retarded.  But it still leaves my in-progress games with a bunch of differently sized units.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2010, 05:47:41 pm »

But be careful! The "size" option is notorious for switching back to huge after you`ve quit. You should check whenever you launch the game whether your settings are right.

Oh, and you should try the RC/RR Submod. It balances the game (Unit stats, a.i behaviour and such stuff.) not only according to lore but also to common sense and really improves the gameplay.

Here`s the link to heaven:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=259833

And then you`ll enjoy the best and most stable M2TW mod.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 05:50:14 pm by Lordinquisitor »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2010, 08:56:40 pm »

ripped to pieces by horse archers.
Border horses solve this problem handily. Border horses are perhaps the most mobile of the Scottish Legion, and utterly destroy horse archers.

No decent archers. their highland archers are great in melee defense on the walls, but are practically worthless against most units.
Noble Highland Archers can take enough hits to win any arrow duel, and are incredibly versatile, as they are just as good at melee as ranged, only with a charge bonus.

In fact, I love using hordes of them (When I'm feeling uncreative) because they simply shoot the enemy apart and run in and strike terror into the hearts of lesser men. With some borderhorse backup, you don't even need tactics.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2010, 08:59:24 pm »

But be careful! The "size" option is notorious for switching back to huge after you`ve quit. You should check whenever you launch the game whether your settings are right.

It only matters when your starting a new campaign really, you can't change your unitsize mid campaign IIRC.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 19, 2010, 09:12:16 am »

Yes, i also think you can`t do that, but it is annoying to start a new campaign and then you realize: Oh come, fuck! Again huge units..

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 19, 2010, 09:48:19 am »

I like huge units in the campaign. Means there's an actual consequence in town population for recruiting 3200 hoplites from a tiny backwater. And i just like the sight of 6000 units on the screen at the same time
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2010, 10:03:24 am »

I like huge units in the campaign. Means there's an actual consequence in town population for recruiting 3200 hoplites from a tiny backwater. And i just like the sight of 6000 units on the screen at the same time

I would love to be able to run that smoothly. I have trouble with 2000 on screen at the same time, and thats with graphics on medium
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 20, 2010, 12:25:24 pm »

I do belive I have the coolest emperor ever.

His name is Dimarus the Mauler, he has full command and dread. He is homosexual and utterly insane.
In the words of Hot Wheels, Beat that!
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 20, 2010, 01:02:02 pm »

Half my generals are unbeatable war bastards who've fought and won battles in every war they could reach, while the other half, the half the manage the cities, are all corrupt, drunk, insane, adulterous, bisexual, with a hint of pedophilia, extremely religious twats who have to be culled every 60 or so turns.

There was even one who was both, the leader of the second crusade. Most of his offspring are doing their best to screw with the mongols at the moment, while his eldest son subjugates the peasants of the middle east.

My assassins, those that survive their first few missions, can kill just about anyone, including the Pope. I had one of them kill every Pope who appeared, while his colleagues tracked and killed every cardinal, until they were all from my nation.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2010, 01:56:15 pm »

I do belive I have the coolest emperor ever.

His name is Dimarus the Mauler, he has full command and dread. He is homosexual and utterly insane.
In the words of Hot Wheels, Beat that!
Sounds like what Frank Miller imagined the Persion emperor to be.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2010, 02:14:26 pm »

What happens if you wipe out every christian nation, thus killing every single priest, without building more of your own and while assassinating any owned directly by the papacy?
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50