Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73664 times)

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #675 on: January 13, 2012, 10:47:09 pm »

Well, that was pathetic, I just read over my max-dread max-command general who I have been using as my main man ever since he was old enough to bark orders at people, and I noticed that he had he was AFRAID OF BLOOD.
Hello Hunam

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 13, 2012, 11:09:44 pm »

Hmmm milita can be over powered if you give them enough time and effort to reequip them.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 14, 2012, 02:16:27 am »

I think the most awesome moment I've ever had was when my faction heir got caught on his own by a enemy army of 2 crossbow militia, an Italian spear unit and a Mailed knight company. I deployed on a hill and prepared to charge for one last glorious time, cue my General decimating the crossbow units with a downhill charge that sent them flying through the air like bowling pins! He was then unfortunately crushed by the enemy but was ransomed back to me and held pride of place in my conquering army.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 14, 2012, 02:46:27 am »

I jsut killed the pope, with crusaders.....
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 14, 2012, 02:55:05 am »

Please elaborate
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 14, 2012, 03:03:53 am »

Please elaborate
So the pope got pissy about me attacking france, as england. I rally my crusade forces, whom have fought two crusades to attack
Rome, we take it and he escapes. I chase him around Milan for a few turns. Then catch him. I ran him over with my crusader knights. I think you should not be allowed to do that.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 14, 2012, 06:37:08 am »

I just installed RTW, and my God, Warbands are shit. It's actually funny watching my generals gallop straight through entire units.

Midgame onwards, I often like to have a full stack of basic militia/warbands trailing my main army on a campaign, swapping fresh units into it any time it suffers casualties. They can easily be reinforced in any town I capture, unlike my high tier elites. And as long as I have proper spears/heavy cavalry protecting them from enemy cavalry, they can hold the line for a few minutes for me to muster some kind of a response.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 14, 2012, 10:39:56 am »

Rome hates me.  I had almost won on very hard difficulty settings.  Like I had 2 armies ready to beseige Rome, I had the rest of the territories I needed and just needed that 1 more.  And then as I am prepeared what happens to my armies once I have marched them into position and was ready to attack?  A freakin plague, both armies crippled...  Battles are hard enough without having depleted plagued regiments walking around...

I had to move in a take them place quickly, before the romans reformed and took a chunk of my territory off me, they had sooooooo many stacks it was impossible to do anything except hold them off occasionally at bridges.  So yeah so close to beating my first ever campaign in a total war game and the game decides it is not gonna let me have my triumph :(

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #683 on: January 14, 2012, 04:25:21 pm »

I almost had the entirety of Japan in Shogun 2. Then the Shimazu pushed me back on the left, and I lost one of my Vassals to an Ikko Ikki rebellion in the right. Now the Ikko Ikki own the right, and the Shimazu own the left. And I only own Kyoto and Iga, surrounded by protective barrier of Vassals who are engaging in a back and forth between their respective enemies whilst I rebuild my strength. Oh, soon I will have my revenge...

Basically I had left my entire right flank undefended, since I owned...well, my entire right flank. I tried to recover by sending half my army off to wipe out the Ikko Ikki again whilst the other half held the line between me and the Shimazu. Turns out, this split my army too much and both got wiped out fighting on their respective fronts. Whole country with no army means I lost one or two provinces per turn >.<

Meanwhile over in Third Age: Total War, f*ck Rohan. They refuse to ally with me as Gondor despite the fact that Gondor calls for aid! And Mordor are battering down Minas Tirith with a dark crusade and Aragorn is dead and...you know what, I just suck at Total War in general xD
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:54:34 pm by MorleyDev »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 14, 2012, 04:44:42 pm »

Having two army's at chokepoints should have kept the shimazu in check, ikko ikki is a bit of a harder one to take down, considering i've usually just amassed a giant force and steamrolled by then.

anyway, this would probably be better suited in the shogun thread
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 14, 2012, 05:10:52 pm »

Rome, medieval, shogun, what's the difference really.

You have wimpy guys with pointy sticks, burly guys with axes and rich guys with horses. Sure, the units have different skins and the underlying engine is a bit different but the core gameplay doesn't really change from one to the other.

And from the first page by the op:
Ah hell, I say we also discuss Total War in the thread too. Why I don't consider this beforehand in these situations is beyond me.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 14, 2012, 05:18:14 pm »

Rome, medieval, shogun, what's the difference really.

You have wimpy guys with pointy sticks, burly guys with axes and rich guys with horses. Sure, the units have different skins and the underlying engine is a bit different but the core gameplay doesn't really change from one to the other.

And from the first page by the op:
Ah hell, I say we also discuss Total War in the thread too. Why I don't consider this beforehand in these situations is beyond me.

yeah the core fighting mechanic is the same. everything else changes (economy, building, management, special characters)

unless you consider empire where fighting was completely different beacuse everyone and their mother had firing weapons

....or are you one of those that play without the special characters? that's, like, missing 90% of total war possibilities.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 14, 2012, 06:38:16 pm »

I'd change the title but it'd be a bit rude to suddenly create a Total War megathread when there's already a Shogun 2 thread. But yeah, it's a Total War discussion thread that just started by focusing on Medieval 2.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 14, 2012, 06:52:23 pm »

Was a suggestion, I really don't care either way, just seemed like it should have been pointed out. Doesn't matter anyway.

Did anyone actually play the expansions for medieval? Greek fire, how are you meant to use them effectively?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 14, 2012, 07:25:43 pm »

yeah the core fighting mechanic is the same. everything else changes (economy, building, management, special characters)

unless you consider empire where fighting was completely different beacuse everyone and their mother had firing weapons

....or are you one of those that play without the special characters? that's, like, missing 90% of total war possibilities.

Never tried Empire or Napoleon. Agents are cool though. I do know that post-M2TW they shuffled them up a bit.

I never played the Byzantines much (too big), but the few times I fiddled with fire troops I used them as skirmishers if possible, and as a flanking force after I had engaged the enemy. Definitely a niche unit, but viable nonetheless. Just have to be careful not to scorch too many friendlies.
I didn't play the vanilla expansion much, but the little that I played I spent with Teutonic campaign. Burning through the Baltic in the name of Christ was fun.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 50