Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73709 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #615 on: October 01, 2011, 07:09:13 am »

No, I'm wondering if I can still play and survive as the vassal of somebody else.  I'd rather surrender than die, is that really, gameplay wise, a reasonable option? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 01, 2011, 07:59:42 am »

Well, you can accept vassilization and not die, just the AI is kind of dumb in that they're basically guaranteed to declare war on you again, sooner rather than later. In the intervening time you have to go along with everything they do, too.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 01, 2011, 08:04:56 am »

That makes revenge sweeter, doesn't it? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 10, 2011, 12:47:10 pm »

Began playing Medieval 2 again. New copy of the game and playing as Spain. Merchants trading tin and iron, diplomats going out and getting trade agreements with everyone. Took over Cordoba after taking some rebel settlements. Set up a fort at the Spain-Africa land crossing. Granada is next. All 3 units of it.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 02, 2012, 11:27:07 pm »

Bump for advice.

I'm right now in something of a problem. I escaped the game using ctrl+alt+delete and I'm defending in a siege. I killed every melee, ranged and cavalry unit they had, but they still have 7 units of catapult outside my walls and will not retreat, attack or do anything. When I sallied forth last time everyone in the sally routed  and I lost 20% of the men involved. I have no archers or cavalry of my own. Will the siege eventually end due to a time restriction or will I sit like this until I sally and lose the battle?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 02, 2012, 11:49:06 pm »

Depends on whether you enabled time limits or not. There should be a hourglass on the bottom left of the screen. If you see an infinity symbol, then battle limits aren't enabled.

I'm sure you can enable it in the options menu.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 03, 2012, 12:01:49 am »

If that's not possible, try sending your troops out in loose formation, with those possessing the highest defence a little ahead of the others.  You may be able to draw the enemy fire long enough to reach them.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 03, 2012, 12:12:12 am »

Actually I tried that, with this many catapults nothing works. I had these 4 mailed knights, so I had them run back and forth in loose formation, but one lucking shot finished the lot of them. I might have to tried scattering them in many different directions and then marching the long way round. The other thing is that everyone's morale sucks because they have all routed at least once in this battle.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 03, 2012, 02:38:13 am »

you have no chivalry? not even the general to quickly close on them?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 03, 2012, 12:15:15 pm »

I had just taken the place and left a garisson and moved off to the next one, when the Moors showed up and attacked. I had one unint of mailed knights and in the melee in my castle square the lot of them died.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 03, 2012, 12:41:26 pm »

ya, that's bad. I've read somewhere that mounted unit in cities don't get the charging bonus when attacking. that may have been a factor in their dead (apart being outnumbered, that is)

maybe you can try moving them outside the secondary entrance while the enemy is halfway trough the door, charge the catapults, then charge the enemy out the wall from behind. it still is a suicide mission, but one could always hope  :D

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 03, 2012, 02:40:35 pm »

I did it. I marched out my smallest unit and let them send piles of shot at them until the routed, then did it again. Rinse and repeat a few times and voila, no more ammo! Then I sent everyone else out and killed the bastards. The 'execution' click was the most pleasing I've made in quite some time.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 03, 2012, 02:49:40 pm »

I think I know what was going on. Your army was so incredibly tired after the main battle that every time you asked them to charge somewhere, their morale was so low they decided to rout instead.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 03, 2012, 09:49:28 pm »

Yeah.

I watched some videos on youtube of various sieges, and I realized that Stworca has spoiled me. All I can say is "EVERYONE IS DOING IT WRONG."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 04, 2012, 12:58:10 am »

It's kinda funny to think of though. Imagine those guys getting whipped by your general, then they run out just out of sight of him. And turn around saying they got their ass kicked.

And the general is like.....      -_-
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50