Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73725 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #600 on: September 25, 2011, 03:37:05 pm »

I haven't played enough Rome to make a decision but I like the Greeks.  Playing 300 is pretty cool.

try them with the extended greek mod http://homepage.mac.com/abradbury/XGM/

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 26, 2011, 04:05:01 pm »

They don't effect in-progress games (unless you use a mod that explicitly alters the original campaign or expansion campaigns, SS doesn't). You know the Launcher? When you click "Play" and have to choose between which module (Crusades, Britannia etc.) it just adds the name of the mod to that and you pick that name (i.e Stainless Steel, The Third Age etc.)

As an aside if you're in Steam mods are a bit trickier to install as for Steam it requires editing the registry, though there are programs that do this and the Stainless Steel installer does it for you.

Thanks! So much for getting any more homework done tonight...
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #602 on: September 26, 2011, 04:11:27 pm »

Screw all that, I want Space: Total War.

Leading armies of cyborgs against genetic freaks from the gamma wastes while your fleet in orbit contributes to the combat by conducting close fire support with fighter sweeps and orbital strikes. On your other front you are barely holding off the replication horde of the nanite rebellion where your AI project went out of control and began converting the planet into grey goo.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 26, 2011, 05:20:00 pm »

Aaand it seems to think that every last fucking file is corrupted, WTF?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 30, 2011, 09:15:00 am »

How on earth do you get nations to become your vassal? This applies to Medieval 2, Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2, they always decline no matter what. What conditions have to be met before they agree?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #605 on: September 30, 2011, 09:20:37 am »

I think you need an absolute, overwhelming advantage over the lesser kingdom in order to make it your vassal in Medieval 2.  In Shogun 2, you can make cities a vassal state by taking it over - It pops up when it asks if you want to occupy or loot, but sometimes it doesn't give you the option.

I usually don't want vassal states hanging around anyways.  Something about the fact that what I allow them to have could have been mine...
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 30, 2011, 09:41:17 am »

And even with vassals, in Shogun 2 they're guaranteed to declare war on you after Realm Divide goes on for long enough. A game I was just playing, me, the Tokugawa and the Oda had vast swaths of land, allied, and in the next turn every single other clan in the entire game declared war.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #607 on: September 30, 2011, 10:25:31 am »

I think only time Vassals seem useful is when you're down to your last territory and get an offer to become one. Oh yes, that is a mistake they always come to regret...for soon the proud Scottish shall rise up and claim the rest of Ireland from the invading French armies! xD Need to stop playing as Scotland, always get my arse handed to me.

And even with vassals, in Shogun 2 they're guaranteed to declare war on you after Realm Divide goes on for long enough. A game I was just playing, me, the Tokugawa and the Oda had vast swaths of land, allied, and in the next turn every single other clan in the entire game declared war.

That's because odds are your Vassals hate you with a burning passion, so the instant Realm Divide gets declared they start open war.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:33:47 am by MorleyDev »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 30, 2011, 11:48:14 am »

Clans won't declare war on you if they adore you.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 30, 2011, 04:06:34 pm »

Clans won't declare war on you if they adore you.

Men should either be treated generously or destroyed, for for minor injuries they can take revenge, for great ones they cannot. -Niccolo Machiavelli

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 30, 2011, 06:16:15 pm »

I think it's probably because there's a failsafe where if the three biggest clans in the game (and we were huge) ally then all the other clans declare war to prevent themselves from being individually curbstomped.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 30, 2011, 11:50:57 pm »

I always thought becoming a vassal meant game over, at least in Rome Total War. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 01, 2011, 05:13:37 am »

medieval II vassals are useless due to AI conditions; by the time you fulfill the conditions to obtain a vassallage they hate you so much that the prefer to die before surrender.

there were mod that fix that, xai wasn't bad but probably was discontinued.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 01, 2011, 06:20:16 am »

Well, you see, in RTW Barbarian Invasion, I was being attacked by almost all the empires around me, I was the saxons, and I didn't have enough money to buy or replenish my army, so with every single casualty, even if I won the battle, my army would rot, bit by bit. 

So, one empire to my east managed to get an army to my ( I think ) only city, which was more or less undefended, and the bastards delivered an ultimatum.  Become their vassal or die.  I reluctantly chose to bend the knee, but the jerks decided to attack my city anyway.  The idiots were beaten back once I got my army back up north.

This story aside, is it really possible to survive as the vassal of another country? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #614 on: October 01, 2011, 07:06:26 am »

In Shogun 2 when a clan becomes your vassal their hate of you from the war is lessened and you get a diplomatic bonus for the vassalage (as opposed to killing them outright). They pay you half their income and cannot refuse if you request them to join a war. Officially you're in a military alliance once you gain a vassal
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 50