Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73720 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #585 on: September 24, 2011, 06:28:54 am »

If you're so accustomed to rome, medieval II combat will feel shallow, slow and the units barely controllable.

The combat will last forever, the units won't route unless decimated, siege equipment will feel powerless and you will curse it every shot that misses.

Skip Empire, it was an unfinished game, rough was and dull remains. They promised to fix up the mess and what they did was include improvements in the napoleon expansion.

Shogun (the first) battles were the more strategically complete, but the interface in 2011 is simply unbearable and the campaign strategy quite watered comparing to later titles.

Medieval I is still quite good. I'd suggest that. I've no idea on how Shogun II plays. (I'm not buying anything else from them after they shafted me with empire)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 24, 2011, 09:22:52 pm »

Shogun II is quite good, but I feel like either I'm shit at diplomacy or they nerfed it because I can't see any reason to get into that many alliances and there's a point where everyone declares war on you anyway.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 24, 2011, 11:24:34 pm »

Yeah, I've seen the LPs of Shogun 2, it's like they added the Paradox badboy meter into the game. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 24, 2011, 11:50:06 pm »

No, I mean, there's a hardcoded point in the game where everyone declares war on you no matter what.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 24, 2011, 11:53:37 pm »

That really sucks. 

You guys wanna post what your favorite factions are?
Like so:

Game:
Faction:
Strategy:

example

Game:RTW
Faction:Julii
Strategy:Land war, possibly blitzkrieg.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 25, 2011, 12:06:22 am »

My favorite RTW faction is a toss-up between the Greeks and the Seleucids, depending on how precarious I want the start to be and how rich I want the rewards for surviving the precarious start to be. My favorite Romans are the Julii, because when the civil war comes, you get to take provinces you actually want.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 25, 2011, 01:24:58 am »

Byzantine in MTW2. Flamethrowers. Can't live without 'em.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #592 on: September 25, 2011, 05:28:41 am »

No, I mean, there's a hardcoded point in the game where everyone declares war on you no matter what.

It's called the Realm Divide event. Basically you're trying to take over the entirety of Japan and none of the other clans want that, so all but your closest allies try and take you down. If you make a bid for shogunate or control a certain number of territories, you start to build up -5 diplomacy with every clan per turn until it hits -200. This is enough to make your enemies hate you and your good-relationship allies suspicious of you. Of course by the time you reach this point you've either been stupid and just sent a massive army through straight to kyoto, or you've conquered so much there's only like three major clans left and you're probably at war with most of them.

There are mods that tweak the mechanic so less clans decide to rape your face.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:34:11 am by MorleyDev »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 25, 2011, 09:09:19 am »

it makes at least a bit of sense. it's not the largish europe. it stands to reason that when you are strong enough every other clan allies to try to stop you.

it would be better if this was something that could emerge from the diplomacy AI alone, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 25, 2011, 10:52:15 am »

In Medieval 2 I like the English and the French.  English because longbows are awesome, French because good heavy cavalry are unbeatable. 

I haven't played enough Rome to make a decision but I like the Greeks.  Playing 300 is pretty cool.  Greek Shore, two fully upgraded Spartan Hoplites in a line phalanx (Four in a square phalanx if you want to be really unfair), and then throw whatever you want of one of the vaguely persian-esque enemy factions at them (I use Parthians).  Yell 'SPARTANS!' occasionally.  Have fun.

Empire Total War I've been playing Sweden.  They're pretty cool.   I usually use massed artillery (I'm up to 6 howitzer units in my main army, and I add two every time I get to a base).

Those are the only ones I've actually played.

So what Total War game do you think is next?  CA has already said they're working on a new one.  If I had to bet money I'd say Rome 2.  Otherwise, maybe they could make a Greece Total War?  You pick one of the city states and try to rule and shit.  Supposedly they want to do a Modern Total War but I'm not sure how that would work. 
Shoes...

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 25, 2011, 11:36:45 am »

China: Total War would be pretty great - there's a lot of weird shit in historical Chinese warfare, plus: Mongols! - but they'd have to do a lot to sell it so it'll probably never happen.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 25, 2011, 12:29:18 pm »

Whatever they do, I want them to bring back loads of different units. I miss that about the series.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 25, 2011, 12:35:13 pm »

I only have Medieval II, but I like the Welsh in Britannia. Spearmen with 20 defence=100s of dead cav. TROLOLOLO!!!

I also like Venice for their lategame units, and any italian faction in general ( [plug]See Renaissance Men for an example [/plug])

EDIT: Will installing stainless Steel screw up all my non modded games? Or does it exist in parallel with the unmodded game? I've never used a mod before.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:40:26 pm by Zrk2 »
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #598 on: September 25, 2011, 01:38:56 pm »

They don't effect in-progress games (unless you use a mod that explicitly alters the original campaign or expansion campaigns, SS doesn't). You know the Launcher? When you click "Play" and have to choose between which module (Crusades, Britannia etc.) it just adds the name of the mod to that and you pick that name (i.e Stainless Steel, The Third Age etc.)

As an aside if you're in Steam mods are a bit trickier to install as for Steam it requires editing the registry, though there are programs that do this and the Stainless Steel installer does it for you.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 25, 2011, 02:04:49 pm »

Game: Rome: Total war
Faction: Parthians
Strategy: Horse archers and a small core of heavy cavalry (usualy just 2 generals) to just kill everything in my way between each city, oh and one or two units of infantry depending. If i run out of arrows i ted to mob charge all the cavalry archers into my opponent. 8 groupes of light cav will usualy overwhelm even heavy cav units without much loss due to the sheer weight of numbers.

I do know that if i get two eastern infantry units to charge ino spears then when enought of the spears are down charge in cavalry through my own infantry can force a phalanx to open up like a pearl for not that much loss in numbers. Dosent work against pikemen and several phalanx groupes in one spot.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 50