Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73817 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #390 on: March 07, 2010, 11:33:00 pm »

However if the city is fortified you have to storm a fort to conquer it.

Also I mayyyy start a AAR/LP of ETW...

If by "Storm a Fort" you mean "Blow the fuck out of it with Cannon" then yes.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 07, 2010, 11:40:57 pm »

I hear that takes forever and a day.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 07, 2010, 11:50:25 pm »

Works pretty good more me. Plink away for 5 minutes or so and pretty much everyone still in there is dead or fleeing.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 08, 2010, 03:47:13 am »

I really want that game now. Ugh, still can't get past the loading screens.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 08, 2010, 04:01:54 am »

I never have very long load times really, at least, not anywhere near as long as Europa Barbarorum's load times.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 08, 2010, 04:25:10 am »

I never have very long load times really, at least, not anywhere near as long as Europa Barbarorum's load times.

I do. I don't know what this computers problem is, it's not like it can't run it.

Carcer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 08, 2010, 08:46:39 am »

I'd actually warn you off Empire. The Battle AI got worse, if that's possible to believe.

As an example, the AI only knows a total of three tactics, all useless. First, it advances on you if you have cannons firing round shot. In the even they get close and you switch to canister shot, they then retreat. This allows you to control their movements by a single button press.

Secondly, they garrison buildings if there are any on them map. Which is sort of okay, except only one man can fire out a window and the men don't rotate, so in a group of about 80 men only 10 or so will ever be firing, meaning that, hilariously, its better to stand outside and just fire in. Better yet, the enemy doesn't react to you pounding the building with cannon, howitzer and mortar until its just about to collapse.

Finally, and this is the AI's "Ultimate" tactic that it will do no matter what, is attempt to flank you with a single group of cavalry. And they charge the entire way, tiring them so much that even a group of town militia can rout them with acceptable losses.

Siege battles are, believe it or not, worse. As the defender there is absolutely no point in manning the walls, as all units have grappling hooks and they will just get scaled and your men slaughtered.
No, its best to put your men in the middle square lined up to face the gates, as as soon the enemy has a few men on the walls they control them, jump back down and try to march in through the gate, leading to a massacre as they march in, get shot to hell, break, regroup, march in, break ad nauseam.

I'd rather advise you buy Napoleon, it seems to have solved most of the issues, of which the above are but a few.

set the meeting area on top of a retracting bridge above a huge pit. pull lever.
Entire goddamn fortress cancells task: resting injury.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 08, 2010, 11:57:59 am »

But, But, bad battle AI is HILARIOUS
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 08, 2010, 02:59:20 pm »

Presumably, if they've fixed the problems in Napoleon, they'd patch Empire, right? I'll admit I don't know how that works.

Carcer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 08, 2010, 03:13:11 pm »

If they were going to fix it, they would have by now. Seriously, stay away from Empire.

Bad battle AI may be hilarious, but if its bad enough that battles get tedious and the only way they could try and make it "fair" is by making it psychic, there is a problem.
set the meeting area on top of a retracting bridge above a huge pit. pull lever.
Entire goddamn fortress cancells task: resting injury.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 08, 2010, 03:17:04 pm »

Eh, the computer apparently can't run Napoleon. It's got 'shit the bed' syndrome. So, I'll still buy it. Hell, I've dealt with shitty AI before, although admittedly on my side (don't charge backwards, there's a goddamn wall there).

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 08, 2010, 06:52:07 pm »

So the english longbowmen...

Yeah, they're assholes :P

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 09, 2010, 03:33:51 pm »

Yeah, the whole "Empire is awesome!" debacle and upon playing it finding out it was utter shit and the lack of support afterwards means that I will not be buying another CA game, unless they dramatically improve.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 09, 2010, 04:36:11 pm »

Yeah, the whole "Empire is awesome!" debacle and upon playing it finding out it was utter shit and the lack of support afterwards means that I will not be buying another CA game, unless they dramatically improve.

Yeah, the whole "Empire is awesome!" debacle and upon playing it finding out it was utter shit and the lack of support afterwards means that I will not be buying another CA game.

Yeah, the whole "Empire is awesome!" debacle and upon playing it finding out it was utter shit.

debacle and upon playing it finding out it was utter shit.

it was utter shit.

What utter shit? DOES NOT COMPUTE.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 09, 2010, 04:41:42 pm »

As stated before: AI can easily be manipulated to win every battle on a level worse than previous Total War games.

AI for the longest time could not(still can't?) do naval invasions. Meaning if you got away from the main continent and isolated yourself, you were invincible.

Naval battles: pathfinding and completely imba, easily exploited to make ships drive into a line where they instantly explode. Nuff said.

Multiplayer games being cannon and cavalry spamfests.

CA removing a bunch of units from the game only to introduce them as DLC if you want anything different from "line infantry". They limited modding, modding in similar units, and just did a big "fuck you" to the community.

Dumbing down the strategic map and having worthless "farms" and retarded AI dealing with those farms while you just skullfuck them by going for the town, which is the only important thing besides schools.

Sheer amounts of bugs at release made game a buggy mess. This was kind of fixed with patches.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:44:37 pm by KaelGotDwarves »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50