Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73844 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #300 on: March 04, 2010, 09:20:21 pm »

My favorite unit has to be either Noble Highland Archers or Galloglaich. NHAs for their versatility, Galloglaich for their cumulative charge attack (upgraded weapons) of 36, enough to throw heavy cavalry into the air.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 04, 2010, 09:45:17 pm »

My favorite is without a doubt the Yeoman Longbowmen (or retinue for that matter) best unit before and after gunpowder in my opinion, fire faster than musketeers and with better specials (particularly stakes), and still having AP attacks.

Least favorite: Spanish Dragoons...utterly ridiculous. Think mongols horse archers with guns.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:47:03 pm by kalida99 »
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 05, 2010, 05:17:54 am »

I love me some Croat axemen. They come early in the game, and they rip apart spearmen when used properly, leaving my mostly mounted Hungarian army free to beat the crap out of everything else. Hungary is really the awesomest faction.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 05, 2010, 11:30:18 am »

Anybody play online here? My name is Shaaktor and I host peasant fight games.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 05, 2010, 06:55:30 pm »

I'd like to make two complaints about Medieval 2 Total War.

One is sieges with large armies.  I don't know why the designers made the towns with all the (realistically) narrow streets, because the pathfinding engine is not at all equipped to handle the tight spaces.  I just lost the Second Battle of Durazzo because every time I'd order units around, especially cavalry, they'd run halfway across town to some weird corner that their placing box fits in, or drag along at walking speed pressing up against objects, or file into the enemy line one man at a time because the collision line and the actual open spaces have nothing to do with each other.  And God help me if I try to give orders to more than one unit at a time, and they try to arrange themselves in formation on opposite sides of a building.

My other problem is how on the world map, between turns, every single fucking unit has to pirouette around at the speed of interpretive dance, especially priests and their tiptoeing.  It's bad enough that I have to wait around to see the results of my failure, do I have to watch all this goddamned pageantry in the process?  And no, I'm not going to turn off the "See AI Moves" option, because I would in fact like to see where enemy armies are walking, I just wish they and those lazy fucking agent units didn't have so many time consuming animations.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 05, 2010, 06:58:12 pm »

Press space during their turns.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 05, 2010, 07:30:59 pm »

I love the way the priests wobble around with their arms out like babies.
Shoes...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 05, 2010, 09:42:31 pm »

Press space during their turns.

Whilst that worked quite well in Rome, the moment someone tries to do something other than walking in Medieval II they slow down to normal speed and presumably settle down to ponder existence and their place in the universe before finally doing what they were told to do.

Another problem I have is diplomats and princesses that just, every single turn, interact with one of my cities without bringing up the diplomacy screen. I presume it's because they're trying to bribe me, but they have never ever managed to. They still try though. Every single turn.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 05, 2010, 10:25:24 pm »

Clicking with the mouse speeds up the animations of the AI.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 05, 2010, 10:26:55 pm »

Again, that's hit and miss with Medieval. At least for me.

Also, do mounted sergeants even have spears? I've seen them with them but for the life of me I can't make them charge with them.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 05, 2010, 10:47:14 pm »

Formed Charges only occur when moving in a PERFECTLY straight line (enemy can't even be moving towards you at an angle) that is relatively flat or downhill. This means you have to pre-rotate thy cavalry.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 05, 2010, 10:53:07 pm »

Ah, thank you. In Rome, I think they automatically do that. Romans were so much better trained than my rabble.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 05, 2010, 10:59:45 pm »

Makes one wonder how the Romans collapsed and these barbarians took over.  Lazy Norman sons of whores don't even try to hold their spears straight.  Seriously, did the designers think the old Total Wars were too easy or something, so they had to make it harder for cavalry to do exactly what they're supposed to do?

Bah.  I fucking hate attacking people on walls.  I don't get it, it's like the whole unit's morale is decided by the four guys who reach the top of the wall and get killed by the Peasant Archers, and then they all slide back down the ladders.  I have to keep my general at the bottom of the wall blowing the crap out of his horn just to keep them from immediately turning around.

Likewise, you'd think archers shooting at a line of guys on top of a wall would stop trying to mass-arc their shots in at the six-foot wide line, and just shoot straight at them in a flat angle.  Is there some way to force archers to shoot target-style instead of ballistic-style?  Because I know they can; in every volley there'll be a few arrows flying at really flat trajectories.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 05, 2010, 11:18:04 pm »

I don't know exactly but I remember hearing about being able to set the max angle on the archers so if you set it to like 30 degrees they wouldn't aim straight up.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 05, 2010, 11:55:06 pm »

Well, Aqizzar, the way archers work is kinda weird. In tight formation, only those in front can use direct fire. Use spread formation when in no fear of melee combat.

Also, archers automatically use ballistic fire on things behind cover, such as battlements.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 50