Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73823 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #255 on: March 01, 2010, 11:33:06 pm »

I'm... sorta like that. Not that I'm timid but I usually don't see the need to attack the next city, and spend time building up my forces after each battle. I have a siege every ten years or so, and battles usually take place around the same time. So it seems like I'm timid.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2010, 01:29:44 am »

Yeah, it's not really timidity, just a lot of reservation when it comes to committing to a war, and taking baby-steps when I get into a war.

I'm not always like that, though, in Rome Total War I went on a warpath straight through the heart of Gaul all the way to the northern coast before other barbarians (Not Gauls, can't remember who now, they had hoplite-esque guys) broke the back of my army and I had to call it quits.

Killed just about every Gaulish noble, forced the leader into a little nook and pincushioned him with arrows, slaughtered every town I saw, it was brutal.
Shoes...

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 02, 2010, 04:34:46 am »

I play my medieval like I play my 40k

WAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH! MORE DAKKA!
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 02, 2010, 07:17:02 pm »

Last night I had a dream that I gave Edinburgh back to the Scots.  What a lame dream.
Shoes...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 02, 2010, 07:19:50 pm »

Clearly this is a sign you should raze their faction to the ground.

Or better, give them Edinburgh and then raze it to the ground.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 02, 2010, 07:24:29 pm »

I've never really understood the point of the "Exterminate" option.  You're going to conquer it one way or another.  I know you're going to give the territory to someone, but I doubt they would appreciate burning wreck you leave them, especially if you give it back to the original owners.

Is it possible to actually obliterate a settlement?  The lowest population I've ever seen was like 400.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 02, 2010, 07:27:52 pm »

Exterminate gets you lots of cash, right? And if you're in another part of the world entirely, the cultural problems can get enormous. Exterminate is a sort of racial culling, that leaves you to slowly rebuild with your own nationalities. Makes the settlement start off with high approval of you for longer at the cost of population.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:30:42 pm by Jackrabbit »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 02, 2010, 07:30:28 pm »

Huh.  I always thought you just transplant your culture entirely as soon as you conquer the place.  Certainly the Recruitment options would suggest it's instantaneous, save for a few turns of like -15% Unrest from the conquering.  Heck, that was my biggest disappointment with the Americas campaign; when the Spaniards conquer a native city, all the native buildings and unit options just vanish in a puff of smoke.

You do get a lot of cash from Exterminating, but Looting gives you more.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 02, 2010, 07:36:32 pm »

Dread points and a big boost to your approval, those are the benefits. If you're playing a non-popey faction, it's really useful, since nobody'll call you out on it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:32:49 pm by Jackrabbit »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 02, 2010, 07:49:54 pm »

I wish there was a Vanilla faction with Pagan as it's religion.  Instead of just Orthodox Russia and Byzantium, and the Islamic states.  Maybe I'll mod in a Lithuania faction on that empty-ish stretch of Baltic coast.  It'll be good practice, since modding in so much as a new unit looks like trying to write a custom web browser.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 02, 2010, 09:00:09 pm »

Hey, what would y'all think about creating about creating a custom campaign together for M2TW? Nothing fancy, just a different map to play on than the standard Earth.

How are new maps created, though? is there a built in tool or would we have to find a 3rd-party program?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 02, 2010, 09:05:58 pm »

Turns out it's a big-ass involved effort, but the Medieval 2 forums has a modding section, and there's a whole wiki devoted to modding M2TW.  Between them, I found a bunch of detailed tutorials for making maps, factions, units, buildings, whatever.  But it's hard, scrutinizing work, and you do need a (free) program to unpack the source files to make your edits of.

I'm on board, as long as anyone else is.  Not model-making I'm sure, since the game comes with plenty of graphical assets.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 02, 2010, 09:21:11 pm »

My participation would depend on how involved it's going to be.  I might be able to throw in some fluff for various factions, if we're going with complete renovation.

Also, war with Spain is going well.  I broke the back of their main army in a pretty big battle and have a smaller secondary force besieging Rennes to hold them up while the rest of my guys move in.  My main army will need a turn or two to retrain though, I technically lost more guys than Spain in that big battle, but since they're right at the edge of my territory I can reinforce much faster than them, who for some insane reason took a territory hundreds of miles from the edge of their area.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 02, 2010, 09:24:14 pm »

The AI's just love fighting over Rennes for some reason.  Every game I play, it's a battle between Portugal, Spain, England, France, and Denmark for that little knob of coastline.  Dijon gets similar treatment a lot too.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 02, 2010, 10:01:07 pm »

Well, I'll go make a M2TW thread for modding.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50