Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hazards Changing Raw file organization?  (Read 435 times)

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hazards Changing Raw file organization?
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:08:24 pm »

I've recently been trying to re-organize the raw files to make my modding a bit easier. I know I have seen some mods which also did this, so I assume it can be done without error.

However, I'm getting some little glitches which I can't seem to trace down. For instance, I had a civ which was constantly using a shield that did not, in fact, exist within its entity definition. When I moved the shield item back to the normal shield file, it stopped happening. Also, this same civ doesn't seem to have the armor that it should.

I'm a bit stumped - are there pitfalls to changing the files that I can't figure out? Can races safely draw the same types of items (weapons, armor) from more than one file?

I'm attempting to split things up into two basic groups - the Common Pool, which has normal stuff like spears and swords, and then a civ-specific equipment file, which has all the equipment specific to that entity and used by no-one else.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hazards Changing Raw file organization?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 02:52:19 am »

That ain't it - I delete that folder constantly.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 02:55:56 am »

And you are generating new worlds after moving things around?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 08:54:44 am »

The shield/armour thing occurs when a race doesn't have a valid shield/armour item for that slot, and it grabs a random one as well. I have had similar issues trying to design a race that does not use shields at all, and the only solution is to give the civ a placholder item weak enough to not have much of an effect, or (specifically in the case of shields) make all of their weapons two-handed.