Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Need some Rogue Likes  (Read 4325 times)

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
Need some Rogue Likes
« on: October 27, 2009, 10:59:59 pm »

Dwarf Fortress has inspired me, any good rogue likes out there that you guys recommend? And I mean rogue likes like adventure mode, not text based like Liberty Crime Squad.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: Need some Rogue Likes
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 12:25:35 am »

Look at Roguebasin.

Rogue, the granddaddy of them all.  Teaches you to keep moving -- staying on a level is quick starvation.

Nethack, everything including the kitchen sink.  Teaches you to use spoilers and consult the source code.

Angband, Tolkein-mythos based.  Teaches patience, caution, and never trusting the dice.

ToME, a grown-up descendant of Angband.  I've never played it; I don't know what lessons it has in store.

Crawl, perhaps the purest embodiment of the platonic concept "roguelike."  See also the Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup project.

Legerdemain, influenced by the interactive fiction genre (Zork et al.).  Interesting for its use of Unicode symbols.

Elona, a Japanese roguelike, inconsistently translated into English.

POWDER, playable on Gameboy Advanced and Nintendo DS as well as normal platforms.  Quite stripped-down, because of interface requirements and the developer's philosophy.

Triangle Wizard, a real-time graphics game that has a roguelike flavor.

Incursion, an ambitious attempt to port core d20 D&D to a roguelike.  Quite buggy but very playable, especially if you know something about d20.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 01:22:26 am »

Crawl, perhaps the purest embodiment of the platonic concept "roguelike."  See also the Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup project.

DCSS: Teaches you the value of a good UI, and that roguelikes lacking one are possibly unplayable. Alas.

You Have Been Warned.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 01:28:27 am »

ADOM is a personal favorite. http://www.adom.de/adom/download.php3
B12 forum member Magellan has made a very excellent space roguelike called Prospector available at http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Main_Page The Rogue Basin has a wiki where updates and info on assorted new releases and games by category etc.

Sindayven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 02:28:19 am »

Iter Vehemens ad Necem is one of my favourites. It's a shame it hasn't been updated in years though.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 04:44:58 am »

In addition to most of the above I would recommend GearHead1
http://www.gearheadrpg.com/
It is futuristic, with simple OpenGL graphics (ASCII is an option), technically 3D and still definitely a roguelike.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 05:07:15 am »

DoomRL is awesome if you want a game that's short and to the point.  Short doesn't mean easy--but it's easy to learn, there's only limited keys you have to know, and you have a chance of winning it this decade (I know, I know, that isn't saying much).  Each play session of DoomRL is probably less than an hour on a GOOD day, with a winning character...unlike, say, ADOM or Angband where you might go ten hours before knowing if your character has a chance to win it all.  It's still nice and hard to master, with plenty of subtleties.

Seriously--It's a fun game in its own right, and it's good to know where the 'simple' end of of the roguelike scale is.

(Incursion or Nethack are at the other end of that scale.)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 07:23:56 am »

DCSS: Teaches you the value of a good UI, and that roguelikes lacking one are possibly unplayable. Alas.

You Have Been Warned.

DCSS also have a very interesting design philosophy, you need very little spoilers to play it effectively. I personally cannot stand games like nethack for this very reason, you pretty much need to read all the little weird things before you even stand a chance. Inscribe Elbereth to avoid melee death? no thanks... In crawl, you start up a character in a few seconds and you are ready to rock. Sure there are some tips that will help you, but nothing you cannot figure out on your own.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 07:27:09 am »

DoomRL is awesome if you want a game that's short and to the point.  Short doesn't mean easy--but it's easy to learn, there's only limited keys you have to know, and you have a chance of winning it this decade (I know, I know, that isn't saying much).  Each play session of DoomRL is probably less than an hour on a GOOD day, with a winning character...unlike, say, ADOM or Angband where you might go ten hours before knowing if your character has a chance to win it all.  It's still nice and hard to master, with plenty of subtleties.

This, a million times this. DoomRL is the most fun rougelike I have ever had the pleasure of playing. Elona at a close second.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 07:46:21 am »

Elona at a close second.

That's just because you liked having little girls as pets >.>

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 07:48:05 am »

Quiet you. Don't forget the very cool commodity training and multi skill system, and the customizable house and other fun mechanics.

But yes. Little girl slaves pets.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 07:53:59 am »

The graphics might put some people off from Elona, though an awful lot of roguelikes these days have graphical modes.  The sound and music, however, are pretty good.

Did I mention DoomRL also has sounds and music?  They're awesome.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 08:00:07 am »

You can also come across some other, good but less known, Roguelikes upon browsing through www.roguetemple.com

CastlevaniaRL, MageGuild, Lost Labyrinth, 3059, 30693D...etc

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 01:18:35 pm »

I wouldn't say they're total roguelike, but they are interesting enough as they are.

http://www.lulu.com/pipingrad

Those are some pretty interesting little games there.

My survivor score for Outbreak Command is 931. Can anyone do better?

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 01:25:21 pm »

Seriously--It's a fun game in its own right, and it's good to know where the 'simple' end of of the roguelike scale is.

(Incursion or Nethack are at the other end of that scale.)

I'll give doom a shot but are there any gun related RLs?

I don't mind fantasy games (After all, I AM on the bay 12 forums, for DF) but I love guns more than food and water. To give you an idea how much I love guns I'd give up sex for the rest of my life if it meant I had all the guns in the world and ammunition for them.

And you have the best signature EVER.
Pages: [1] 2 3