Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl $5 Steam til Nov. 2nd: Mods  (Read 6730 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl $5 Steam til Nov. 2nd: Mods
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2009, 07:24:02 pm »

That's what I did, just stack resists up. I think I tried it with 5, which is a full rack, right? Maybe I should have tried it with 4 :D

I remember I just died trying >:( But I'm sure, the cumulative resistance of the items in the belt were above 100.

I think 4 might be the "magic number" because the next smaller size of artifacts was +20, so you need to use 4 minimum (3x30 + 1x20 is the smallest possible), but you could actually use more?

Either way, I got fried.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2009, 08:19:26 pm »

According to a quick google search, it appears that's only added in by mods, and there is no way to repair shit in an unmodded game (aside from glitching a given damage resistance to over 100%, and then taking that damage type, which both heals you and repairs your armor). :|

Blah, oh well.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2009, 01:06:16 am »

Are there any zombie survival mods for this, and if not why not?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2009, 09:59:07 am »

Are there any zombie survival mods for this, and if not why not?

No, because the actual game is mostly zombie survival.

I'm in X18 trying not to crap my pants... I never knew:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

could be so scary.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2009, 10:12:28 am »

There aren't that many zombies, and those there are aren't particularly susceptible to head shots.  Mostly I've been fighting dogs, boars, and soldiers.  I've got tons of ammo and weaponry.  Hardly a zombie game.

What would be needed is an urban environment, zombies that are weaker but more susceptible to headshots.  Less sprint duration, more melee weapons and less ammo/guns.  A variety of survivors both male and female that are randomly generated, and can join you and help form a fortress against the tide of hungry dead.  Basically allot like Fort Zombie, but in the Stalker engine, so it'd have better animations, shooting, etc.  Actually I wish someone would make a mod like that for a UT game.  You can do seemingly anything with those engines.

And when is someone going to make a game like my slasher flick game idea?! :(

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2009, 11:02:23 am »

Oblivion Lost has a lot more zombies, and anyone trapped outside during a blowout turns into a zombie.  Also, zombies are spawned from nowhere during the blowout.

When you emerge from your shelter they tend to come out from all over the place.
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2009, 11:04:40 am »

After a blowout I usually only see like, two zombies tops.  I've been using OL mod.  I suppose though Stalker wouldn't be that great for a zombie game, what with the lack of dismemberment.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2009, 04:12:05 pm »

There aren't that many zombies, and those there are aren't particularly susceptible to head shots.  Mostly I've been fighting dogs, boars, and soldiers.  I've got tons of ammo and weaponry.  Hardly a zombie game.
The hell are you talking about? Zombies aren't really susceptible to anything but headshots, unless you enjoy burning an entire clip into their armor. Er... unmodded zombies, anyways. Fuckers also seem to aim a hell of a lot better than bandits...

I'm at the spoiler* in yantar, fighting through hordes of zombies and spoiler*. I have 112 rounds left for my TRs 301, 80 for an akm I picked off a zombie when I saw I was running low on ammo (what? sure, 300 rounds will be enough, I'll just leave the rest in this stash and replenish on the way back to the bar ::)). The problem with ammo isn't that you don't have enough of it, it's that you can't carry enough to last you on an expedition like that, if you intend to carry anything else (medkits, grenades, weapons, potentially a new, better weapon you find, and artifacts, mainly), unless the enemies are dropping the ammo you need. And yeah, there's no shortage of weapons, but comparatively few of those are in any condition to use.

I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2009, 04:50:48 pm »

I used to have lots of fun sitting on top of that big concrete drainage pipe overlooking the swamp in Yantar and picking those off with my Vintorez.  Their feet are worth quite a bit of money.
Shoes...

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2009, 06:44:44 pm »

I got the quest to kill the freedom sniper from skull
a few seconds later skull was sniped in the head by you know who
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2009, 12:24:03 am »

Best gun in the game (barring the Gauss rifle, but you'll be lucky to get one shot with it in the whole game, the ammo is so rare) is the Vintorez (Vintar in vanilla).

Super accurate, almost completely silent (Just a barely audible "whuff"), and a scope.  I sold mine for a Dragunov, thinking the world's most famous sniper rifle would be better, but it sucks.  The scope is way off and you have to aim several inches below the target to hit, sometimes so low you can't see them.
I got a vintar and played around with it, and then bought a dragunov from the colonel in the duty base. The vintorez, while "accurate", technically, is extremely hard to aim with any precision beyond fairly close "long" range (whatever range it is where aiming just above their head hits them square in the temple), and the bullet moves so slow it's a nightmare to lead a moving target *just* enough to land a headshot. And the silent part doesn't seem to do a damn thing, when I fire it everything within a mile knows just where I am, and starts shooting at me, whether it can see me, or even has a gun. :P

The dragunov on the other hand, has amazing accuracy at range, at least out to 100 meters, probably further (if there's even a place where you have a clean line of sight that far...). Put the crosshairs between their eyes at a hundred meters, pull the trigger, and they drop. The only range you need to aim lower is within 30 meters or so, and then it's more "aim at their jaw to hit them between the eyes", just like with all the assault rifles. The only downside is its ammo costs a mint, at 1800 ru per 10 rounds. (Ironically, nothing seems to notice when I fire it, even if I hit their buddy square between the eyes five feet away from them...)

The SVUmk2 isn't as good, and I'd rate it below the vintorez. Both are also incredibly ugly compared to the dragunov (both the in-game models, and the actual guns), though that's secondary to utility, of course. The SVU isn't so bad, but the vintorez really just looks like shit.

Of course, this is unmodded, so they may very well be different for you.

I still don't know what the hell 3 is talking about. No hostiles show up on your radar unless you can see them, and even enemies armed with something as inaccurate as an ak74 (so anything above the lowest level grunts) hit you to devastating effect at range. Ones with nato guns even more so, and at longer range. The ak74 is the first gun you get that can reliably hit anything at range, the TRs 301 is probably the first that can hit anything at range with enough accuracy to get a headshot with any reliability... Maybe the rapid, though that's still a bit below the nato guns as far as accuracy is concerned... Again, this is what I've seen in an unmodded game, maybe what he's got makes all guns really accurate, and jams a few spikes into the brain of the already lobotomized AI...
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2009, 02:37:33 am »

I'm just starting this game, right before the first X at the moment, X16 or something, I think. Is a storming Obokan with a scope any good? I can't find any grenades for it.

EDIT: Scratch that. I accidentally gave it away, it was apparently a quest item thing. Huh.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 04:08:20 am by Dwarfaholic »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2009, 04:35:00 am »

Hm... Did I miss anything due to the fact that everyone in Cordon except the trader died in an apparently unscripted military assault?  I completed the mission for nimble just before he ran out and got shot.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2009, 10:39:10 am »

As far as I know Oblivion Lost tweaks stuff so the game isn't broken if everyone dies like that.

And yeah, Skull.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:32:51 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2009, 10:44:50 am »

I still remember, I think it's yantar, there's this "secret underground lab number umpteen" and you exit it through some sewage pipes, right?

Well, when I was about to enter those pipes i was REALLY low on ammo. A few pistol rounds and that was that. I had to use the knife a lot, I survived without save/reload, and boy, that was tense.

I mean, I remember a lot of generic scenes from a lot of shooters I played - but only stalker managed to freak me out enough so I would remember specific events.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5