Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl $5 Steam til Nov. 2nd: Mods  (Read 6718 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl $5 Steam til Nov. 2nd: Mods
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2009, 04:12:05 am »

I followed the plot, rescued a guy, and went down a ladder into a dark basement.  Now it's too dark for me to see anyone even with my flashlight, but they sure can see me, and there's like four guys that love popping out around corners and one-shotting me with a shotgun.  I'm only playing on the second difficulty, and I'm finding this part absolutely impossible.  I'm on about my thirtieth try getting through this room; even chucking all my grenades around doesn't help.

I would like it if the anomalies were harder, but combat was easier.  Not a lot easier, but like, people should die when you shoot them, and guns should shoot where you aim.  (I know I have crummy starting weapons but that's no excuse.)
The first room in agroprom underground? I managed that by moving forwards enough to aggro the bandits, then retreating to the far end of the starting tunnel, past the ladder, and spraying the clump of bandits that appeared with an akm 74/2 I looted off the soldiers. Worked pretty well, their sawed-offs do jack shit at that range. A plus is they're then standing under the spinning light (you're in pitch black shadows, but they can still see you clear as day >:| ).

The early weapons are absolute shit. The counter to that is their ammo is common enough that you can just stand and spray them in the general direction of the enemy (er... center of their torso, though they're so fucking inaccurate it amounts to "in the general direction"...) until they fall down (now, if they're incapped, and not killed, is there anything to do other than finish them off?). If you're where you sound like, you're about to get a much more accurate gun once you get where you're going. As in, can usually score a headshot in a several round burst at a decent range, if you aim for the base of the neck with the ironsights.

Wait, long-range headshots are immensely overpowered? You mean shooting someone in the head from far away shouldn't kill them before they can shoot you? :/
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2009, 04:16:00 am »

Would someone be so kind as to like a crash fix mod? My game crashes every 15 minutes, and Google seems to prove useless turning up nothing but bug reports.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2009, 04:25:46 am »

The early weapons are absolute shit. The counter to that is their ammo is common enough that you can just stand and spray them in the general direction of the enemy (er... center of their torso, though they're so fucking inaccurate it amounts to "in the general direction"...) until they fall down (now, if they're incapped, and not killed, is there anything to do other than finish them off?). If you're where you sound like, you're about to get a much more accurate gun once you get where you're going. As in, can usually score a headshot in a several round burst at a decent range, if you aim for the base of the neck with the ironsights.

I didn't have trouble hitting guys not much larger than my sights with the starting pistol, and even with the accuracy of that thing I could kill a guy with just under a clip if all my shots hit the torso.

Wait, long-range headshots are immensely overpowered? You mean shooting someone in the head from far away shouldn't kill them before they can shoot you? :/

They are overpowered in the favour of the player. The AI loses far too much accuracy over a distance, as it never seems to bother to aim. Low crouch plus aiming via basic sights, even with an AK74U or MP5, equals tons of headshots. The harder bit of the game is fighting
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
right up close - they
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, usually killing you in one burst or even one shot.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 04:28:35 am by 3 »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 05:05:28 am »

Even when you line up their head in the sights at fairly close range, it still takes several shots before one hits, and they can duck or move out of the way so as to be hidden by the pistol. Not such a big deal in a firefight, where they stand still to shoot or are moving around anyways, but if you get the drop on them it kind of fucks up the ambush to have them dart away after your first two shots go whizzing past their head. :|

Up until the akm 74/2, nothing really shoots straight; aim dead center at a still target uh... I don't know, 50 feet away? (I'm shit at putting a number to distances...) and it'll miss them most of the time, it seems (with ironsights, that is: without them you can't hit shit at any range other than "the barrel is fucking touching them" ::)). At least in an unmodded game, and in my experience... All I know is the ak74 handles like a dream compared to the earlier shit, especially the rapid, and my proclamations of the shittiness of early weapons are exaggerated a little for effect. Their inaccuracy is annoying until you realize you're carrying 10 kilos of pistol ammo, and suddenly stop giving a shit if it takes emptying a clip or two into a bandit to bring him down (less if you aim for the head, and are reasonably close). (I'm still in fallout 3 mode, and am just getting over the "shoot as little as possible, otherwise your weapon will inexplicably start doing significantly less damage after a single fight" thing the ridiculous condition decay of its weapons caused)

Speaking of which, can you restore the condition of an item? I suppose armor, mainly, since I haven't been able to see any real decay in the condition of weapons, even under heavy use.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2009, 05:12:19 am »

You can repair stuff at any trader. Generally repairing a weapon or suit that isn't at 85%~ durability is a waste of cash, unless it's exceptionally rare - I got a bill of 18000 rubles for the repair of one basic AK.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2009, 07:43:47 am »

How the heck do you drive vehicle in Oblivion Lost?  I can get inside them just fine and turn the steering wheel, but that's it.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2009, 08:23:25 am »

From what I remember when I read through the readme for OL, you have to go assign a key in the settings for turning vehicles on. It's stupid, but, hey.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2009, 08:57:26 am »

Arg, everyone's dead!  I went and rescued the guy from the car park and then got a mission from him to recover some armor.  I did it, but not before accidentally going to a new area.  When I got back to the car park some bandits with automatic weapons were slaughtering the friendly stalkers I'd left there, then when I got back to the Trader's camp the military was attacking it and everyone wiped each other out.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2009, 10:42:24 am »

it's better to have everyone die than have a game that doesn't let you reload a save game.  :'(

That and these dang bandits are smart, they keep hiding in corners and crevices where i don't see them, then blasting me to oblivion when i walk past.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2009, 12:08:21 pm »

I must have been lucky with my game, it seems. Did you guys patch it up properly?

Because, as I said... one bug. Which was solved by digging through the forums. (Quest marker showed wrong location of guy, people know where the guy hangs out, however. So I went where he lives, and tadaaa)

And the main reason why I didnt install any mods... because they make the weapons stronger, mostly. Which I think is a bad idea.

I finished it on the hardest difficulty the first (and only) time I played it, and it was good, good fun, with just the right amount of "oh noes, how ima gonna survive".

Granted, it could have been harder when it comes to wound treatment and general survival.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2009, 03:11:58 pm »

Hmm... the "press f to open" text stopped showing up on the door to the first trader, so I couldn't get in to turn in a kill mission (I then wandered off and did agroprom, hoping it would resolve itself; it didn't)... is that supposed to happen, can I fix it, and does it break the main storyline (it would be a bitch to reload a previous save, considering what I've done since then...)? Fixed with a grenade. :|

Also, any tips for fighting bloodsuckers? They dart around too much for a headshot to be easy, and seem to soak up a shitton of ammo if you fire into their chest. Don't seem to do much more damage than dogs, but they're more annoying to shoot at, given the whole "invisible and on speed" shit :| (Note: I say this having fought *one*, and seen another (which I promptly retreated from... and am now trying to snipe from the top of a building)) Disregard that, emptying the TRs 301 into its face at point blank only let it almost kill me...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 05:46:17 pm by Sir Pseudonymous »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2009, 03:48:36 pm »

Best gun in the game (barring the Gauss rifle, but you'll be lucky to get one shot with it in the whole game, the ammo is so rare) is the Vintorez (Vintar in vanilla).

Super accurate, almost completely silent (Just a barely audible "whuff"), and a scope.  I sold mine for a Dragunov, thinking the world's most famous sniper rifle would be better, but it sucks.  The scope is way off and you have to aim several inches below the target to hit, sometimes so low you can't see them.
Shoes...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2009, 06:31:59 pm »

You can repair stuff at any trader.
According to a quick google search, it appears that's only added in by mods, and there is no way to repair shit in an unmodded game (aside from glitching a given damage resistance to over 100%, and then taking that damage type, which both heals you and repairs your armor). :|

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2009, 06:36:11 pm »

aside from glitching a given damage resistance to over 100%, and then taking that damage type, which both heals you and repairs your armor
I always tried that in vanilla, but never succeeded.

But I didnt try any "glitching" ... is breaking the 100%-barrier impossible without tomfoolery maybe?

Or what else could I have messed up?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2009, 06:56:31 pm »

aside from glitching a given damage resistance to over 100%, and then taking that damage type, which both heals you and repairs your armor
I always tried that in vanilla, but never succeeded.

But I didnt try any "glitching" ... is breaking the 100%-barrier impossible without tomfoolery maybe?

Or what else could I have messed up?
Four +30% resistance artifacts, from what I read. The fact that 110% resistance heals and repairs is the glitch I was referring to.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5