Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl $5 Steam til Nov. 2nd: Mods  (Read 6722 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl $5 Steam til Nov. 2nd: Mods
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 08:05:53 pm »

Here's something very important that I didn't know and it screwed me over when it comes to the multiple endings:

What I'm trying to say is that the people who made STALKER are very lucky it turned out as good as it did, and made some serious rookie mistakes that greatly hurt the experience.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:09:12 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 08:25:53 pm »

Becareful Of Some MODs Dreams v2 Steals your CD-Key

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 06:35:38 am »

And may I suggest reading "Roadside Picnic", maybe before playing? Dunno. But stalker is inspired by that book, and it's a great read, not very long tho, you can finish it in a few hours.

That...was great.  Thank you, Puck!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 02:03:11 pm »

I just bought this, though I won't be able to install it and play it for a while.
For when I do, I'm sorta undecided on the mod front. Normally I never install mods on my first playthrough, since I want to see the game as it was intended. Therefore I'd want to avoid any mods that add a lot of completely new features/objects/people/whatever to the game.

But on the other hand, I'm a big sucker for atmosphere and anything that would make the game more immersive/creepy is sorely tempting for me...

What would you guys recommend?

I'd been interested in this game back when it first came out, but ended up avoiding it due to SecuROM. Now I have it SecuROM-free for $5. <3 Steam, so much.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 12:19:25 pm »

The game as it was intended isn't very good, because it didn't come out as intended.  There was a mod, I can't even remember what it was called anymore, that made the game more immersive.  It made guns way stronger, bandages and food didn't heal you, a lot of the anomalies were invisible, you had to buy a detector, and some other stuff.  I stuck with that one until I found out about Oblivion Lost.

If you change your mind about the first playthrough thing, get Oblivion Lost.  The enemies don't show up in the exact same spots anymore, and you'll occasionally find really strong mutants in really weird places, which is scary.
Shoes...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 01:24:16 pm »

Playing the game mod free. I have to say, I really hate it when my lack of foresight binds me to eternally dying. I got to a point where I have 500 rounds for the pistol, but have to fight about ten people, who all seem to have SMGs and shotguns.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 03:54:05 pm »

I have had Stalker for a year now, and still play it frequently (Mostly with my friend who is a serious fan.) Never installed Oblivion Lost, but I have tried it and it seems pretty cool, although I dislike the way the enemies are easier to kill and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
can no longer shoot properly.

When I first played the game, I went with the unpatched, unmodded version and had a pretty decent run. The only serious problem was Yantar that crashed frequently. Too bad the game got way too easy after
I stopped playing for some time.

Later I started over with my friend (playing in turns), this time only using the sweater and no artifacts. Now even the later parts were pretty exiting since even the moderate enemies could pose some threat. We actually played all the way to the NPP, but
I warmly recommend playing the game without any armor/artifacts, not only are the enemies actually scary, but you can also carry more other stuff. The lack of protection doesn't feel uncomfortable when packing a full set of powerful guns and plentiful amounts of ammo and medkits.

Some fun bugs I found:

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 04:00:51 pm »

shouldn't be able to shoot, that completely defeats the purpose.  It's not like they hit anything anyway.  As for being easier to kill, the people in vanilla STALKER act like they're made of Kevlar they take so much damage.  That's not fun.

What's really awesome is the tracer ammo.  You can see just how great the bullet dynamics are when you use tracers.  Try shooting a guy in an exoskeleton with one.  The bullet will bounce right off the plates and fly off into the sky.
Shoes...

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 04:58:05 pm »

I'm playing with only Oblivion Lost 2.2 on Hell difficulty and so far I'm having a blast.

Gunfights were frustrating until I raided the military and got all the Ak-74 ammo I needed.

Mutants give me the creeps especially Bloodsuckers and Controllers.

The only part that irked me was the Agroprom document raid in which after entering the base via the underground I get spawned IMMEDIATELY in sight of a guard that triggers the alarm... up to that point I tried to do insane assignments like these by means of a nighttime stealth approach. I ended up having to sprint OUT of the base with the alarm howling and then infiltrate it AGAIN by means of a completely unprotected hole it the concrete fence. Even with mods and Hell difficulty the game doesn't really force you to strategically plan combat like I hoped it would... Thats a shame but its still excellent fun due to the exploration and atmosphere.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 05:26:01 pm »

When I did that mission I sprinted through the front gate into an alley between the barracks, then hid in the bushes until the coast was clear and ran into the main building.  At that point I just ran through, emptying whole clips into everyone I saw, grabbed the briefcase, went up to the roof and shot the alarm, and then went down the ladder and out the back door.
Shoes...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 02:05:26 am »

I followed the plot, rescued a guy, and went down a ladder into a dark basement.  Now it's too dark for me to see anyone even with my flashlight, but they sure can see me, and there's like four guys that love popping out around corners and one-shotting me with a shotgun.  I'm only playing on the second difficulty, and I'm finding this part absolutely impossible.  I'm on about my thirtieth try getting through this room; even chucking all my grenades around doesn't help.

I would like it if the anomalies were harder, but combat was easier.  Not a lot easier, but like, people should die when you shoot them, and guns should shoot where you aim.  (I know I have crummy starting weapons but that's no excuse.)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 02:30:14 am »

Does anyone know how to install mods on steam? It looks complicated.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2009, 02:44:02 am »

Does anyone know how to install mods on steam? It looks complicated.
LURK installed how you would typically install any mod, just the destination folder had to be the Steam one, buried in program files/steam/steamapps/common/stalker shadow of chernobyl

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 03:26:46 am »

Ok I got this and it's downloading, quite slowly.  Is there any website where I could easily find these mods or should I just use google?  Do they work together?

What sort of multiplayer does this have?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 03:36:26 am »

Been playing this with OL + RC1 for a few days now. I had played Clear Sky in the past, but had never got round to playing the original (broken plot ahoy, but I suppose that's to be expected).

Just finished Yantar and not run into a single significant bug yet. No crashes, nothing. Runs perfectly.

Still, the game's atmosphere remains, and the sequel is blatantly inferior.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5