Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Proof that the World wont survive the next 500 years  (Read 10873 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Proof that the World wont survive the next 500 years
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2009, 05:36:39 pm »

Somehow that just doesn't sound quite right.  What did they use to observe the process of the photon hitting the spots?  It can't have been photons, could it?  Doesn't light bounce a little bit as well?

Aaah, time for Quantums.

Make a piece of paper with two small holes in it a short distance apart.

Fire a photon at the piece of paper.

Which hole does the photon pass through?

The correct answer is 'both'.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2009, 05:51:43 pm »

They probably used something along the lines of a Geiger counter to observe where it hit, something it would react to as it passed through.

Anyway, the crazy thing is that the particle-wave-whatevers only hit multiple spots if they weren't being observed.  If they were it picked one.  As I said once before, when you zoom in far enough you find that all the subatomic particles look like middle fingers.  They're flipping the bird to you and everything you thought you knew about the world.
Shoes...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2009, 05:59:50 pm »

Actually they used the interference pattern observed.

It's called The Double-Slit Experiment, and somone did eventually work out how to measure how many photons were going through each slit without interfering with the waveform, and as it turned out the correct answer was still 'both'.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2009, 06:51:56 pm »

Oh.  But that's wave-particle duality.  I don't see why anyone should be drawing the conclusion of parallel dimensions from it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2009, 06:57:39 pm »

They shouldn't? Wave-particle duality has nothing to do with parallell universes.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2009, 07:08:26 pm »

They shouldn't? Wave-particle duality has nothing to do with parallell universes.
Exactly my point.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2009, 07:34:52 pm »

I'm thinking the LHC will either go horribly wrong, or horribly right. The former meaning any of the current "LHC will end the world" theories in action, the latter meaning that humanity will uncover one of the universe's secrets and proceed to wreak havoc on the universe in its usual fashion.
The chances of the LHC ending the world are effectively zero. Much more energetic collisions than it can produce occur everyday in the upper atmosphere, so if they could destroy the world, we wouldn't be here.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2009, 07:54:54 pm »

If my math is correct:
If you were to get in a space ship, assuming it has inertial dampeners, and accelerate at a rate of 3.8 km/s^2 for half a year, then decelerate at the same rate for half a year, by the time you stopped moving, 100 years would have gone by outside your space ship. Relativity is fun.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2009, 08:16:12 pm »

Also, if you use improper jump fuel, trillions of years pass inside the space-time bubble containing your ship and the only thing that comes out at your destination is radioactive particles.
Shoes...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2009, 08:42:57 pm »

You want proof the world won't survive 500 years?!? ^pirate Cthulhu.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2009, 08:43:12 pm »

100th POST GET!

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2009, 02:06:37 am »

They probably used something along the lines of a Geiger counter to observe where it hit, something it would react to as it passed through.

Anyway, the crazy thing is that the particle-wave-whatevers only hit multiple spots if they weren't being observed.  If they were it picked one.  As I said once before, when you zoom in far enough you find that all the subatomic particles look like middle fingers.  They're flipping the bird to you and everything you thought you knew about the world.

It's in my friggin sig from who knows how long ago.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2009, 11:39:28 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:02:09 pm by Stany »

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2009, 01:12:46 pm »

Hehehe... I fail. It's still an awesome quote, though. It's kind of fitting that it came from Cthulhu.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2009, 03:40:43 pm »

It's called The Double-Slit Experiment, and somone did eventually work out how to measure how many photons were going through each slit without interfering with the waveform, and as it turned out the correct answer was still 'both'.

I believe the parallel universe part comes in when you have more than 2 slits.  Then all of a sudden you start getting theoretically impossible interference.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9