Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Proof that the World wont survive the next 500 years  (Read 10885 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: Proof that the World wont survive the next 500 years
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2009, 07:40:41 am »

what? but i am from the future. everyone lives in mud huts except me. so now everyone does live in mud huts.

i had a palace though. with a time machine. thats how im here. anyways, must be getting back to my empire, the serfs will be rebelling again.

Come forward to the time of the B1 empire (Why do they still use decimal surely they can see hexadecimal is plain superior) and I'll sell you some cheap mind control devices, apart from the occasional serf whose head explodes they help massively reduce uprisings and increase productivity 80%, anyhow you'll find my empire on the continent of New Cuba.

EDIT: Got my ancient counting systems mixed, up. It's an easy mistake to make.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:25:41 am by thatguyyaknow »
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2009, 09:21:27 am »

what? but i am from the future. everyone lives in mud huts except me. so now everyone does live in mud huts.

i had a palace though. with a time machine. thats how im here. anyways, must be getting back to my empire, the serfs will be rebelling again.

Come forward to the time of the B1 empire (Why do they still use binary surely they can see hexadecimal is plain superior) and I'll sell you some cheap mind control devices, apart from the occasional serf whose head explodes they help massively reduce uprisings and increase productivity 80%, anyhow you'll find my empire on the continent of New Cuba.
New Cuba has been invaded by New Alaska and GDI for WMD!

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2009, 10:26:11 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:09:29 pm by Stany »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2009, 10:46:23 am »

And more to that point, it's entirely possible that our universe was created via time travel and the reason that, potentially, you and I exist is due to said time travel (considering that the universe we currently exist in is hypo-theoretically a variation derived from a specific previous universe, which is a variation derived from a previous universe, which is a variation derived from a previous universe, which is...).

Considering the way this thread is going, even if there is proof that the Earth won't last another 500 years, it won't mean anything because variations will exist wherein "the Earth" has not been "destroyed" (just as there are, theoretically, variants that exist at this very moment wherein the Earth has already been destroyed. I realise talking about the "grand scheme of things" when it comes to subjects like these is entirely pointless, but it's fun nonetheless).

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2009, 03:52:05 pm »

I love how people keep going on about multiple universes and time travel creating new ones and such.  As though it were all true, no less!  Countless (near-)identical copies of our universe indeed...

No, I'm not saying it must be untrue.  I'm just calling the whole mess rubbish until we, as a people, know better (assuming we ever do, of course).

I'll also add that the truth is probably far weirder than our collective daydreams in this thread.  For your consideration:  I doubt any of us would've imagined quantum theory before some clever physicists started working it out.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2009, 04:10:31 pm »

yeah the metaverse isnt science. theres no way to objectively prove it, its all conjecture and it comes up everywhere and its really really annoying.

andy1005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2009, 04:13:20 pm »

I love how people keep going on about multiple universes and time travel creating new ones and such.  As though it were all true, no less!  Countless (near-)identical copies of our universe indeed...

No, I'm not saying it must be untrue.  I'm just calling the whole mess rubbish until we, as a people, know better (assuming we ever do, of course).

I'll also add that the truth is probably far weirder than our collective daydreams in this thread.  For your consideration:  I doubt any of us would've imagined quantum theory before some clever physicists started working it out.

Yes, it may well be rubbish but it is the nature of the human race to develop un-natural theories to how things are done.

For example, there are many people who still believe god created the Earth however dinosaurs have been proven to predate humanoid life by millions of years making the theory extremely improbable. Until something is proven, mankind will always believe there is something supernatural to it until proven otherwise by scientific minds.

Not to say god doesn't exist but the bible is incorrect in many of its citations of world events if they are taken as reality and not metaphors.

To say that each time journey would result in a new dimension is an improbable theory that likely is the advent of watching too many sci-fi/fantasy media works. When I created the thread, the intention was to proclaim the Earth's death down to logic that time travel just hasn't been invented because nobody was able to invent it yet, meaning that sometime in our future; we are exterminated or at least thinned down in number enough so that it doesn't exist. I believe there is nothing impossible, just things that haven't been made possible yet and since we don't have time travellers from anyone in our future, that leads me to conclude that we don't reach that technological stage.

You are correct in saying that I have no proof that 500 years will be our downfall but it is the most logical guess if you take into account that within 100 years we have effectively massively increased our capability to act as a society, rather than a group of individuals through technology and that it is extremely likely with the same number of major technological boosts we've had the last century that in 500 years time, we would have the basis of time travel mastered for time is a simple enough theory that is made only complicated by the need for physical technology - something within our grasp but not yet.

Just as the vaccine for what has always been saw as unpreventable has been developed in its initial stages, we will find the initial technology required for time travel sometime in our future, if we live that far and by time we are able to use it, the human race will likely be extinct.

(The bolded part refers to the HIV vaccine that is under development, something that was always seen as impossible to control.)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2009, 04:19:24 pm »

The Swine flu is killing us and hasnt been stopped we obviously are going to die this year.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2009, 04:23:19 pm »

"Proven"?

As we all know - whether we like it or not - when it comes down to it science is not about truth: it's about the closest thing we, more or less collectively, imagine the truth to be at any one time.

So people argue about it because they can, not because it's, in truth, utterly meaningless, but because they can. But discussing concepts like these is, of course, entirely philosophical and therefore just as bad as disucssing theoretical physics.

Yes, it may well be rubbish but it is the nature of the human race to develop un-natural theories to how things are done.

For example, there are many people who still believe god created the Earth however dinosaurs have been proven to predate humanoid life by millions of years making the theory extremely improbable. Until something is proven, mankind will always believe there is something supernatural to it until proven otherwise by scientific minds.

You, yourself, have done exactly what you just talked about by creating this thread. You make an example from the HIV vaccine, but exactly the same thing applies to time travel: ten years ago I could've easily said "I think "the Earth" isn't likely to "survive" the next 500 years because HIV-AIDs will have killed us all by then". I would not necessarily have known that the HIV vaccine may be in development within the next ten years; just as you have no knowledge that time travel may exist within the next ten years. The poster above me sums it up brilliantly, deliberately or not, to some extent.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2009, 05:43:25 pm »

Andy, you didn't even read Osmosis Jone's posts, did you?  He said it was hypothetically possible, with a lot of "if"s that rely on things we aren't even sure exist, and that if they did exist it wouldn't be economically practical.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

andy1005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2009, 05:55:23 pm »

Andy, you didn't even read Osmosis Jone's posts, did you?  He said it was hypothetically possible, with a lot of "if"s that rely on things we aren't even sure exist, and that if they did exist it wouldn't be economically practical.

I've read every post in this thread, unfortunately the same can't be said for my memory. I've read the posts over the 2 days the thread has been in existance and I specifically based my response to be very general yet slightly geared towards answering the quote that I quoted.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2009, 06:03:46 pm »

Well, then, assume that during development of any time machine, the scientists accidentially, or by a miscalculation that they are testing so that they can fix, cancel out their efforts. Thus, before anyone can properly create the alorgrithm to properly affect the distant past, they will alter the recent past so that they cannot.

There, a theory that explains how time travel can exist but nobody has altered the current present, with a linear timeline.
Eh?
Eh!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2009, 06:14:35 pm »

It may also be that the speed at which we move in time is the maximum speed a 3D object may move in time, rendering time travel all but impossible. Just like light travels at the maximum speed in the 3D world. Of course, that'd presume that light is a 2D or 1D phenomenon, which would have to be proven. It might've been proven if anyone bothered to figure out a way to test for it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2009, 06:33:50 pm »

yeah the metaverse isnt science. theres no way to objectively prove it, its all conjecture and it comes up everywhere and its really really annoying.

Sanity?  We can't afford that here, burn the heretic!!!

Serriously...the whole parallel universe thing is a far-fetched theory, you can't tell somebody indefinately that something is impossible such as "Except you can't time travel into an existing universe"

....How the hell would you know, last time I even bothered trying to read up on all this it wasn't time travel that supposedly generating universes anyways

My turn to rant!

theoretically the universe was split naturally, and time-travel supposedly would involve to another dimension through irregularities (at the sub-atomic scale mind you) and moving to another universe that could be exceedingly different from ours depending on how far down the line the universe split from OUR universe

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2009, 08:54:15 pm »

aye well ill let you test the metaverse for yourselves - just put a gun to your temple and fire!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9