Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Proof that the World wont survive the next 500 years  (Read 10893 times)

andy1005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Proof that the World wont survive the next 500 years
« on: October 27, 2009, 10:26:29 am »

There are no time travellers so this makes me think that the world will end within the next millenium because time travel would be very likely invented by then and we would see people from that time and age in our periods of time.

It is likely that we will be annhiliated from the Earth within that time frame, therefore technology has not been able to progress that far.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Proof that the World wont survive the next 500 years
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 10:29:56 am »

... or time travel is impossible.

good argument thar.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:30:46 am »

This isn't proof of anything.
Shoes...

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 10:33:35 am »

Time travel is possible.
There simply isn't enough energy and room for the device in the whole universe!

There. A compromise.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 10:40:47 am »

In the space of one hundred and seventy-six years the Lower Mississippi has shortened itself two hundred and forty-two miles. That is an average of a trifle over one mile and a third per year. Therefore, any calm person, who is not blind or idiotic, can see that in the Old Oolitic Silurian Period, just a million years ago next November, the Lower Mississippi River was upwards of one million three hundred thousand miles long, and stuck out over the Gulf of Mexico like a fishing-rod. And by the same token any person can see that seven hundred and forty-two years from now the Lower Mississippi will be only a mile and three-quarters long, and Cairo and New Orleans will have joined their streets together, and be plodding comfortably along under a single mayor and a mutual board of aldermen. There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
- Mark Twain

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 11:38:11 am »

I haven't seen a unicorn therefore the world will end in 20 years because otherwise they would have invented unicorns and unicorns travel backward in time
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 11:39:31 am »

There are no time travellers so this makes me think that the world will end within the next millenium because time travel would be very likely invented by then and we would see people from that time and age in our periods of time.

It is likely that we will be annhiliated from the Earth within that time frame, therefore technology has not been able to progress that far.
Partially the reason people didn't think we would survive past 2000.

And the second bold seems rather unbased as well. Unless you know something we don't.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 11:49:42 am »

I'm fairly sure that changing the past is impossible.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 12:25:01 pm »

I believe in time travel, but only into the future.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 12:36:01 pm »

Come!

Come into my time traveling kayak!

Together, we will go to the future!
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

andy1005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 12:46:26 pm »

My logic is based upon the last 100 years of discovery... Around 120 years ago, we were just discovering Penicillin and now we have vast quantities of many types of anti-biotics and vaccines... 120 years ago we were just experimenting with telephones and now we have mobile radiation emitters with us wherever we travel. So then you think... If we did this in around 100 years... What will our technology be like in 500 years time as our scientific community experiments further and further... Such as the experiment on creating a black hole within a confined space.

However there are many potential threats to Earth and with technology advancing at a century by century pace, we may be extinct before we reach our ultimate scientific goals. Therefore I put it out to you that 500 years is all humankind has left on this Earth - Maximum.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 12:50:31 pm »

But so far 500 is still just a random guess.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 12:52:31 pm »

Well there is this law/theorem/whatever I forget the name of, which basically states as technology gets more and more complex, each iteration of it takes ~2x as long to get to. Like, say we can use black holes to travel from Earth to the Moon instantly, and it takes us 50 years. In order to use it to travel twice that distance, it will take ~100 years, etc etc. Then we can use it to manipulate time (if possible) probably well into the 1000 years mark.

edit: especially considering we currently have no basis for such technology. If time travel IS possible, we won't see it for a loooong time, I'm willing to bet. And even if we do, what if we discover some reason not to use it?
Let's just say I wouldn't be putting any bets on this if I were you
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 12:55:02 pm by Chutney »

Angellus

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 12:54:52 pm »

Time travel will never be possible, even if you don't think about science.

IF time travel is ever invented, some dick will always go back in time at one point and shoot/kill the person who invented the damned thing. Therefore a time machine that allows travel backwards in time is not viable, even in inmagination!

------

I abide the scientific way btw.

@Chutney, can you supply more information on that? I'm curious.

ctharvey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 01:00:24 pm »

This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law could loosely be related...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9