Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any interest in a gendered animal names mod?  (Read 466 times)

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any interest in a gendered animal names mod?
« on: October 27, 2009, 09:57:32 am »

I've done this for myself -- but if people want it I'll toss it on the file depot...

every animal has a SPECNAME for at least one of the genders, so you can tell them apart on your animal inventory and restraint screen. Some of them are for giggles (the male cougar is called 'cradlerobber', and the female sea monster is a she-monster...) but I can sober them up for srsfase publication. :)

and a question I'm looking for some input on...

- does "giant eagle cock" (as opposed to giant eagle hen, of course) sound too much like you're being harassed by the disembodied organ? I know eagles really have cloacas... 'cock giant eagle' sounds a bit off to my ears, on the other hand.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any interest in a gendered animal names mod?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 10:45:10 am »

A quick Googling turned up the fact that male eagles are called "tiercels", and females are "hen-eagles" or "eaglesses".
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any interest in a gendered animal names mod?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:49:38 am »

after doing the big-cats, my brain was swimming with -esses.

Tiercels might work. I'm settling for 'giant eagle' and 'giant eagle hen', I think.

A lot of the specific names get way too specific -- a breeding so and so younger than x years is a foo, a female so and so that hasn't had young is a baz so I was trying to lean to a more general term across families.. bull/cow, doe/buck, hen/cock, mare/stallion...