Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Opinions on the Middle Eastern Conflict  (Read 12929 times)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on the Middle Eastern Conflict
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 08:25:36 am »

Huh.
Don't get too cocky, men.

Don't say 'Come on! American-styled DEMOCRACY All the Way!' like it's the answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything (It's 42 :P)

Also, damn. I am one of those hardcore guys, so I may not be the best person to say this, but:

FUCK OFF, USA.

YOU ARE NOT THE RULER OF THE WORLD.

THE UN COUNCIL IS.

THE SECURITY COUNCIL IS NOT.

FUCK OFF ALL WANNABE IMPERALISTS. WE IN THE THIRD COUNTRIES ARE BETTER OFF WITHOUT *YOUR* 'PERFECT' SYSTEMS. HELL, IMF'S 'ADVICES' WERE THE ONES THAT MADE ^MY^ COUNTRY FOCUSES SO MUCH AT THE F*#(@)# CAPITAL MARKET, EVEN THOUGH WE ARE [JUST] A DEVELOPING NATION. WE SHOULD FOCUS IN THE REAL MARKETS, NOT VIRTUAL.

But... offtopic.

Sorry for the caps-lock, I was in RAEG

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 09:13:06 am »

That was uncalled for.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 10:06:13 am »

That was uncalled for.

No, IT'S WHAT BASICALLY EVERYONE EXCEPT SOME AMERICANS THINK.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 10:21:51 am »

I can see this spiraling into an anti-american post. So lets not let it.

Back to topic: Yeah, it'll be fine if the west stops putting their grubby little paws all over it.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 11:42:51 am »

That was uncalled for.

lol at Americans being butthurt when they get called out on their shit

The root problem here is Americans having this notion that we know what's best for everybody and how to make it happen and that if we just march in someplace, everybody there will start to agree with us

Now we're finding out the hard way that the world doesn't work that way, but how dare anybody actually point that out
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 11:47:27 am »

We need to pull out, we are going to get Iraq pregnant...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 01:40:20 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:12:33 pm by Stany »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 01:46:33 pm »

Constant anti-American ranting is starting to get tiring. So many people blame their country's problems on the US when in reality the vast majority of damage done to their country comes as a result of problems within the country. America and the rest of the western world are only trying to help.

I'm pretty sure the anti-American ranting in this thread is on a topic that has a little bit to do with America

namely that time when America invaded two countries to try and magically turn them into democracies overnight
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 01:59:22 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:12:09 pm by Stany »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 02:13:08 pm »

There never really was one reason, though some people think we invaded for oil or retribution or Texas bloodlust. The Oil I'm really least conviced about; here's part of what I think the real cause was.

- George W. Bush was utterly terrified after the 2001 terrorist attacks. He had a large staff, that was partially made up of tactical experts and partly made up of his best friends, and the consensus among them was that a retaliatory strike on someone was better than no strike at all.

- Some members of the US intelligence community felt that Iraq was trying to develop WMDs. What made them think that, and why they felt it was more critical than, for instance, North Korea's already existing weapons, I will never know.

- The group responsible for the 2001 attacks was believed to be in Iraq, as well as Iran, Afganistan, and Saudi Arabia. In fact, Osama Ben Laden was in fact a member of the Saudi royal family (a black sheep, of course). Since there was already some information about Iran, however, that was the primary target.

- I want to be clear here; The Bush administration most likely did not intend to misinform the public about goals of the Iraqi invasion; they may have said "We are launching forces to free Iraq, and some forces to fight the terrorists responsible for 9-11", but it was the news media, desperate for good news, that reported "We are launching forces to fight the terrorists in Iraq."

I am an American, and on the left end of the political spectrum, I'm sure. I feel that a peacetime military is a waste of money, and that the US should never act as the World Police. Perhaps the world does need police, but it's expensive and annoying. Let the Chinese do it, since they already own the US and make all our products. The US can sit back and gentrify like Sweden and Denmark.

As for the aftermath, I'm pretty sure that forcing someone to be in a democracy is impossible. They'll just vote it back to the way it was. Besides that, given that there are two main muslim sects, one of which usually outnumbers the other two to one, and both of which will vote each other into gas chambers...
What I'm saying is it's incredibly difficult to simply come into a country, blow it up entirely, then tell the surviving inhabitants (of which one in every ten lost someone they knew to misfired American missiles and such) that they are now in a democracy.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 02:18:44 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 03:48:44 pm »

YOU ARE NOT THE RULER OF THE WORLD.

THE UN COUNCIL IS.

Nope.  Some people think so (or at least think it should be so), but the UN is not the World Government.  It has no real authority over any country that tells the UN to piss off.  The General Assembly can get mad and push their lips out, but that's about it.  The Security Council actually has some authority within the UN (I'll let others debate whether it should or not).  Some of its members also like to run stomp countries that don't comply, even if they aren't in the UN.

Such is my understanding.  Feel free to enlighten me if I'm wrong.  Or rage some more.  Whatever works.  :P

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 04:04:58 pm »

There never really was one reason, though some people think we invaded for oil or retribution or Texas bloodlust. The Oil I'm really least conviced about; here's part of what I think the real cause was.

- George W. Bush was utterly terrified after the 2001 terrorist attacks. He had a large staff, that was partially made up of tactical experts and partly made up of his best friends, and the consensus among them was that a retaliatory strike on someone was better than no strike at all.

- Some members of the US intelligence community felt that Iraq was trying to develop WMDs. What made them think that, and why they felt it was more critical than, for instance, North Korea's already existing weapons, I will never know.

- The group responsible for the 2001 attacks was believed to be in Iraq, as well as Iran, Afganistan, and Saudi Arabia. In fact, Osama Ben Laden was in fact a member of the Saudi royal family (a black sheep, of course). Since there was already some information about Iran, however, that was the primary target.

- I want to be clear here; The Bush administration most likely did not intend to misinform the public about goals of the Iraqi invasion; they may have said "We are launching forces to free Iraq, and some forces to fight the terrorists responsible for 9-11", but it was the news media, desperate for good news, that reported "We are launching forces to fight the terrorists in Iraq."

I am an American, and on the left end of the political spectrum, I'm sure. I feel that a peacetime military is a waste of money, and that the US should never act as the World Police. Perhaps the world does need police, but it's expensive and annoying. Let the Chinese do it, since they already own the US and make all our products. The US can sit back and gentrify like Sweden and Denmark.

As for the aftermath, I'm pretty sure that forcing someone to be in a democracy is impossible. They'll just vote it back to the way it was. Besides that, given that there are two main muslim sects, one of which usually outnumbers the other two to one, and both of which will vote each other into gas chambers...
What I'm saying is it's incredibly difficult to simply come into a country, blow it up entirely, then tell the surviving inhabitants (of which one in every ten lost someone they knew to misfired American missiles and such) that they are now in a democracy.

I love you.

And Americans should stop their RAEG about 9/11. In Iraq, over five thousand soldiers were killed on the 'good' side, with over 30 thousand wounded. Total deaths in Iraq (both sides) are around 1.340.000 people. In Afghanistan, nearly seven thousand NATO troopers are dead, 4.500 wounded. That far outweighs the deaths in 9/11. I don't say they shouldn't be cared about, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. Also, the USA wasted 864 billion dollars, which could've also been used for a functioning health care system for all I care.

STOP THIS MADNESS.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 04:09:27 pm »

Phantom, your map on the first page, why is Pakistan FUBAR and Iraq fine?  If Pakistan ever becomes massively unstable the entire world will be FUBAR via nuke craters...

I agree with locking down this thread anyways.....very high potential for high-intensity flaming

P.S.  As anti-invasion as many of you may be I think we can all agree that pulling out would be a "Fun" idea  ;)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 04:18:45 pm »

Real way to solve all the wars: Take away all guns, explosives, vehicles, weaponry, and armor from both sides. Present every person who wants to fight with 5 hersheys kisses, a muffin, and a paper towel. If they can still wage a war, let the fancy bastards do it.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 04:30:27 pm »

Real way to solve all the wars: Kill all hu-mans.

Fixed.  :P

Alternately:  Exterminate!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9