Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: What are you like drunk?  (Read 7853 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you like drunk?
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2009, 03:44:19 pm »

I've been boozed up twice. The first time I was 7 or so and one sip of beer made me throwup. The second time was earlier this year when my dad challenged me to a contest in pounding back Icehouses. Got through four before I passed out, and had a hangover for several days after.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2009, 03:48:13 pm »

I've been boozed up twice. The first time I was 7 or so and one sip of beer made me throwup. The second time was earlier this year when my dad challenged me to a contest in pounding back Icehouses. Got through four before I passed out, and had a hangover for several days after.

And I thought I was a lightweight (never had more than maybe 7 or 8 drinks in me, never really want to).  Passing out at 4 is... ridiculous.  Do you have that Asian enzyme deficiency or something?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2009, 03:52:06 pm »

And I thought I was a lightweight (never had more than maybe 7 or 8 drinks in me, never really want to).  Passing out at 4 is... ridiculous.  Do you have that Asian enzyme deficiency or something?
I don't think I've ever heard of an Asian enzyme deficiency. Elucidate.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2009, 03:54:36 pm »

After about 2 minutes of exhaustive Google searching, I found this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction

Which is apparently more common in Asian people, and which can cause death in rare cases.

Although it says nothing about getting more drunk.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2009, 03:57:15 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetaldehyde#Hangover
Most people of East Asian descent have a mutation in their alcohol dehydrogenase gene that makes this enzyme unusually effective at converting ethanol to acetaldehyde, and about half of such people also have a form of acetaldehyde dehydrogenase that is less effective at converting acetaldehyde to acetic acid.[12] This combination causes them to suffer from the alcohol flush reaction, in which acetaldehyde accumulates after drinking, leading to severe and immediate hangover symptoms.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2009, 03:58:26 pm »

Mead, mead all the way! It's the only alcohol I actually like, beer is meh.
I've never been drunk though, but you don't need to be a genious to know it's in fact bad and it seems like some are bragging about drunkiness.

Anyway, I've been told mead hangovers are teh bomb. In a bad sense.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2009, 04:36:05 pm »

On a side note: This is just a wee side question to ask. I hope you don't mind Tack. How much alcohol does it take to get you drunk to a point where you know your drunk. And if it happens, how much before you start forgetting.
I don't mind anything. Ever.
It takes a bottle of vodka to get me destroyed. Either that or two Jager-bombs, which, for some reason screw me up more than Jagermeister on it's own.

One thing that sucks is that if I were to go to America, I'd be under the legal age. Which would be wierd.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2009, 05:33:23 pm »

I guess I'm a happy drunk but I think getting really hammered can make me act like a bit of a douchebag though.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2009, 05:43:58 pm »

My saving virtue is that I'd prefer to spend £30 on a good scotch than $8 on a bottle of paint stripper vodka.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2009, 08:13:47 pm »

Recovered alcoholic here with 9 years sobriery offering my advice to any who need it.  PM me
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2009, 08:29:20 pm »

Has anyone here had Brothers cider? They make some of the nicest stuff. Like lemon and pear cider. So tasty!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2009, 10:40:11 pm »

Sober -> sociable and talkative -> loud and overly competitive -> comatose.

I tend to only drink beer and wine nowadays because otherwise I end up skipping the first two stages completely.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2009, 10:44:50 pm »

It happens. I have a few Asian friends who pass out after only a few drinks. I personally know someone who passed out at around 4. A lot of the females in my family can't take more than a few drinks before their faces turn red.

Asians are actually quite bad at drinking. According to some documentary I saw on TV, they claim it's because Asians learned to kill bacteria in water by boiling it. Europeans killed bacteria in water by fermenting it, so Asians never had to drink alcohol to live :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2009, 10:52:55 pm »

It happens. I have a few Asian friends who pass out after only a few drinks. I personally know someone who passed out at around 4. A lot of the females in my family can't take more than a few drinks before their faces turn red.

Asians are actually quite bad at drinking. According to some documentary I saw on TV, they claim it's because Asians learned to kill bacteria in water by boiling it. Europeans killed bacteria in water by fermenting it, so Asians never had to drink alcohol to live :P

Native Americans (and I think most other aboriginals) have a notoriously low tolerance too. Apparently because they weren't exposed to alcohol until the white folk brought it over, whereas other races have been consuming it for thousands (tens of thousands?) of years. Although I'm skeptical of this theory, as it's a pretty loose interpretation of evolutionary logic.

As for asians, I've yet to meet one who can properly hold their liquor. Just my personal experience.

On a side note: This is just a wee side question to ask. I hope you don't mind Tack. How much alcohol does it take to get you drunk to a point where you know your drunk. And if it happens, how much before you start forgetting.
I don't mind anything. Ever.
It takes a bottle of vodka to get me destroyed.

You know, those things come in some radically different sizes. It's sort of an important distinction when answering a query like "how much".

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2009, 10:54:05 pm »

Being underage, I've only been genuinely drunk once, but I have been tipsy on a few occasions.

Apparently, I claimed to be Jesus, Peter from Family Guy, and Captain Jack Sparrow all at once.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7