Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grind to sand  (Read 1184 times)

hughesdylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Grind to sand
« on: October 25, 2009, 05:04:20 pm »

Hey all, im finding that most embark sites that fulfill my requirements end up devoid of sand. Seems like no aquifer is automatically a no sand thing, but w/e

Ive added a few smelter reactions to manage rock, like the crack geode reaction (with some modificaiton, it seemed too easy to me).

Could i add a reaction to take a stone and produce a bag of sand?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grind to sand
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 05:06:39 pm »

You could also just add the [SOIL_SAND] tag to some of the soil types in the raws. Much easier than trying to make a reaction for it.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 05:10:00 pm »

Sadly, as far as I know, nobody has figured out a reaction yet. You can create bags and you can create sand but you can't create bags full of sand and the sand you can create can't be used to fill bags.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 05:17:10 pm »

Yea, I added the SOIL_SAND tag to all of the 'sandy' soils. It makes it much easier to find a spot with sand.

As a side effect, it gives deserts more varied hues in the embark screen, but this is just a graphical effect and doesn't affect anything.

hughesdylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 05:55:16 pm »

Right, that makes sense. I just keep banging my head against the wall. I mean, quartz isnt that hard to get.... *shrug* ill do as you guys suggest then. Frees up some of my laborers anyway.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 08:33:03 pm »

I've always wondered what would happen if your reaction created both a bag and sand (or any substance and the correct container for it). Just never bothered to try it out.

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes metal for its screaming guitars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 05:21:53 pm »

Hey all, im finding that most embark sites that fulfill my requirements end up devoid of sand. Seems like no aquifer is automatically a no sand thing, but w/e
Really? I have no trouble at all finding locations with sand and no aquifer. Not too hard to get other goodies too. For instance, my current fortress has sand without an aquifer, a magma pipe, brook, cave river, HFS, flux, and 2 biomes (mountain and swamp).

What are your requirements? Maybe you just have a freak world. Have you tried generating another one?

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 01:05:47 am »

Yea, I added the SOIL_SAND tag to all of the 'sandy' soils. It makes it much easier to find a spot with sand.

As a side effect, it gives deserts more varied hues in the embark screen, but this is just a graphical effect and doesn't affect anything.
And this is not a cheat at all, as in the real life sand can be derived out of almost every soil through drying-crushing-winding in desert areas or panned out using water.
Finis sanctificat media.

Angellus

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 03:01:47 am »

Sadly, as far as I know, nobody has figured out a reaction yet. You can create bags and you can create sand but you can't create bags full of sand and the sand you can create can't be used to fill bags.
Is that because it is impossible to mod in filled containers or has it to do with something else?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 03:56:09 am »

Yes, that and the fact that sand isn't really an object, so you can't create it separately and then just put it in a bag afterwards.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 10:58:31 am »

Actually, sand is an object, just like booze, dye, and flour - it's just always stored in bags, and if you manage to remove it from the bag, then it'll just get "Clean"ed up by a nearby dwarf (or vanish during the season change).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 02:04:51 pm »

Next version will allow you to place reaction products in containers, so this should be possible then.