Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Marathon Let's Play: X-COM!  (Read 19003 times)

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marathon Let's Play: X-COM!
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2009, 08:11:15 pm »

Can I get a Soldier? Preferably a Lazor pistol as his weapon.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2009, 08:49:12 am »

Hrm.

If it's an option, I'd vote to prep another base somewhere in SE asia, geared for production/offense, or at least for more radar coverage in the region.

Offense wise, those alien grenades look like FUN.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2009, 09:03:46 am »

Sorry for the late reply, spent last night trying to make XComUtil work with Vista. It does, but kills the framerate.

Chapter 10: Meet the Spartan

We've started manufacturing of Power Suits. We currently have enough for everyone except the three new Redshirts. I'm sure we can replace them if they go up in smoke anyway.

It's May 31st, and I'm due to meet up with the Council of Funding Nations in two hours. Wish me luck.

I swear, they are unpleasable.

Anyway, now it's June. I'm looking forward to this month, I've got a good feeling.

Told ya. Interceptors are already dispatched. This shouldn't take long.

McFrederick was lagging behind a bit. One of the pilots managed to engage it over Canada. But he only managed to get a single shot off before it fled.

Eventually the pilots were forced to give up, since they were running out of fuel. I wonder where that ship was going...

...Oh.

Mission Control: Everyone, attempt to find the alien who leads the main force, and then try to stun it and take it alive.

Spartan 117: Roger that, Mission Control.

Obamarama: The area outside the Ranger's clear. I'm going deeper in to the city.

Obamarama: Uh...can anyone else see this?

Mission Control: Got it, new alien species encountered.

Obamarama: Look's like a snake-man. I wonder how lasers work on it.

Obamarama: It's down. That was easier than I thought it'd be.

Mission Control: Attention all soldiers, capturing a leader is no longer necessary. For now, stay wary, we don't know how dangerous this new species is.

Obamarama: What the hell is- Oh God it's trying to destroy the tank!

Obamarama: That took three shots, the tank's battery is drained.

Sir Snipesalot: Jeez, these guys mean business.

Obamarama: These snakedudes go down pretty fast.

Obamarama: O-kay...that's disgusting.

Spartan 117: What?

Obamarama: There's a dead body here, no plasma wounds or anything, it just looks like it's been...ripped apart.

Spartan 117: Ugh, try and ignore it.

Obamarama: I've got two in the building opposite the Skyranger. I don't suppose any of you fancy...I dunno...helping out?

Spartan 117: Why? You've pretty much cleared the place already.

Redshirts: We'll help out.

Obamarama: Thanks guys.

Redshirt: There's loads of dead bodies around here. These things are killing machines.

Sir Snipesalot: We aren't gonna be seeing much action this mission, are we?

Spartan 117: Doubt it.

Obamarama: *grumblegrumble*

Redshirt: Another of those...things...I'm gonna need some help!

Spartan 117: Alright, everyone, out of the Ranger!

Sir Snipesalot: Jeez, two direct hits and it hasn't gone down...

Spartan 117: Quickly! Radios on mute!

Obamarama: ARGGGGHHHH THOSE FU-

Spartan 117: Well done men.

Nirur Torir: Hey, what's it-

Nirur Torir: Dear God...

Spartan 117: Quickly, concentrate fire before they get one of us!

Sir Snipesalot: One down!

Spartan 117: Another down.

Undead Benito Mussolini: Snakeman down.

Spartan 117: Okay, everyone, search the city. There's at least one more left.

Nirur Torir: I think I got it. I see another of those things up there, I'm opening fire!

Nirur Torir: Heh, direct hit!

Spartan 117: It's still standing!

Sir Snipesalot: Not any more.

Redshirt: Argh!

Sir Snipesalot: Damnit, he's down.

Sir Snipesalot: Another one down...

Redshirt: And another.

Spartan 117: How many more are there?!

Spartan 117: Oh.

Debriefing

Another worrying mission, how many more alien races are out there? And what of this new species of alien? Why does it infect people rather than kill them? And how come it's so goddamn fast?

The scientists wanted to research Alien Navigation for the next project, they think they can make some new type of aircraft from it. From now, I won't be covering the UFO Recoveries in particularly great detail, since I'm sure it would get boring to hear about the same fights over and over again.

I must be off now, I'll continue June's entry next time. So far, we've managed to shoot down two UFOs with McFrederick's plasma beam-outfitted Interceptor, and we've recovered one of them. Hopefully the rest of June will be as nice as it has been so far.

End of Chapter 10

Readers' Decision

Manufacturing vs. Researching, should we start building Firestorms or wait until our research has yielded a better X-Com craft?

Also on the subject of Research, what should we concentrate on for now, keep researching new craft or should we start looking at the origins of the Alien Menace? Or something completely different?

P.S. If we can afford it, should we build another base? (I ask because I like Eidalac's suggestion and want to see what the other readers think of it.)
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2009, 10:04:47 am »

I vote we:
A) Make another base for more radar coverage
B) Build Firestorms. IIRC, a pair of Firestorms with plasmas can take down a battleship without too much trouble, with a single Firestorm being able to take down anything smaller. Avengers take too of the precious E-115 for standard use, while Skyrangers work fine for most things. Been a while since I played though, so I may be a bit confused about that.
C) Plasma hovertanks.

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2009, 10:43:31 am »

I'd build at least 1, if not 2, firestorms.  If nothing else they can give you better response time and you won't have to worry about missing a UFO because of waiting on the primaries to return/refuel.

The infantry seems to be doing good, but the tanks seem to go down to easy, so upgrading them would be a priority for me.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2009, 12:48:42 pm »

Spoiler: Combat Report (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Personal Log (click to show/hide)

If we are able to, let's get cracking on manufacturing. 3 Hovertank/Plasma (1 for Skyranger, 1 for base defense, and 1 more for the other base), let's also have a firestorm at least for the main base, and transfer an interceptor to another base to serve patrol where we can't keep a constant eye on.

As for research: let's work on new craft until we can get better weapons/PSI. After that's settled, we can research origins.

Another base can work as a relay station of sorts.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 03:25:18 pm by Itnetlolor »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2009, 01:27:23 pm »

Spoiler: Diary of Ruckus (click to show/hide)

He actually has a firm grasp on several languages, he just prefers to get the message across as simply as he can.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2009, 01:37:32 pm »

Obamarama: MY GODDAMN TANK KEEPS EXPLODING ARRRGGHH. !$£%£!$B%@%$% @£%^$@£$%!  £^@$!@ ^ $% &%^ ££% &$^ $@ £!^£& % @@£$ $%&%&$ £$% @£&91!!1
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2009, 03:20:23 am »

Well, I must admit, this thread got me to pick up X-Com again.  Let's say I've had "mixed results"...  Sometimes, every last man will get ripped to shreds on a mission before they can pop two shots off.  Then I reload a save, take the exact same mission and annihilate the entire enemy force without losing a single man.

Fun stuff.

Anyways, in the event that you *are* taking on more goons, I'd like to put in an order for a plasma-slinging grunt name o' Joseph Stalvern (should speak in a peculiar manner).  If he finds his end by having a Chryssalid zombify him, then the world will positively shine in epicness.

By the way, how far are you planning on taking this (provided everything works out in your favor)?  Are you going to rush off for the endgame as soon as it's viable, or are you going to sit back and enjoy swatting aside the petty alien invasion for a while?

By the way, the online UFOpaedia states that the avenger is in fact more efficient at fuel consumption than the Firestorm.  In fact, it really does put it up as an "ultimate" craft.  Whether or not you want to try and rush for that is another matter.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2009, 07:22:12 am »

Oops, it really has been a while. Consider my vote changed to Avengers and skipping Firestorms then.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2009, 12:41:08 pm »

Avengers!
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2009, 07:17:45 pm »

Votes noted. Sorry for the late reply, an update shall be up tomorrow without fail, and all new applicants will be added in by then.
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2009, 07:21:24 pm »

I'll take another meatsack recruit if that's ok.

Name: Nibbles

At the rate they're dying I shudder to get any more technical than that.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2009, 09:07:03 pm »

Hmmm, I see that at least a couple of your soldiers are carrying two-handed weapons plus a stun rod in the other hand...  Doesn't that reduce accuracy?

I just had my first run-in with snakemen.  Reeeaally can't say I was prepared for that.  Took me three tries from a saved game before I managed to get it down right.  DAMN those Chryssies are nasty...  Especially when you still haven't gotten your ass in gear and researched heavy plasma.  I was plunking away at those guys with just lasers (plus a rocket launcher, and the heavy cannon and autocannon that have downed maybe five aliens total since the beginning of the game).

Also of note as far as research is considered, is the fact that we're a step further on the path to Plasma hovertanks.  Always a fine choice.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2009, 09:09:16 pm »

I would like a redshirt, please.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11