Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Marathon Let's Play: X-COM!  (Read 19000 times)

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marathon Let's Play: X-COM!
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 05:05:07 am »

(Sorry about that, I should've posted another screenshot. It was a fast UFO, so by the time the Interceptors actually got to it, it was over Italy.)

Chapter 2: The Big Guns Are Here

Well, once I'd managed to replace all the men we'd lost in the first UFO, the HWP arrived. First though, I've made a note of some of the more interesting soldiers who arrived today.

Couldn't fit in the whole name, sorry.

The scientists managed to finish researching laser weapons. I told them to get started on a pistol to replace the crappy one we have right now.

Also, our HWP arrived this morning. A man called Obamarama came with it, he said he was the pilot. I'm looking forward to working with him. The HWP is already loaded on to the Skyranger.

Wednesday, 20th January

Earlier this week we saw another UFO. But it left radar range before we could scramble the Interceptors. Now, we've spotted another one.

It's grounded, in central Denmark. Which'll mean more aliens on the ground, but we'll also have an intact UFO to work with should we succeed.

Obamarama: Heavy Weapons Platform activated. Let's see how it holds up against Sectoids.

Sniper: Sectoids?

Obamarama: Yeah, it's better than Greys, right?

Obamarama: I'm already taking fire. Let's see how these guys like a rocket up the ass.

Spartan 117: Sectoid in the field outside the ship. Opening fire!

Nirur Torir: Woo! First blood to X-Com!

Obamarama: Another Sectoid down. This tank's great, eh?

Spartan 117: Alright, I want two redshirts to scan the area outside. Everyone else, with me, in to the UFO.

Spartan 117: Damnit! Another Redshirt down.

Undead Benito Mussolini: Got another Sectoid down.

Spartan 117: Well done!

Spartan 117: Okay guys, just like in the diagrams.

Undead Benito Mussolini: Yes sir!

Spartan 117: I'm in the UFO now. It's bigger than the last one. No smoking hole in the roof either. Keep your weapons at the ready.

Redshirt: Sectoid! At the door!

Redshirt 2: It's down!

MISSION COMPLETED

Debriefing

I congratulated the team on their success. With only one loss, I think we did pretty well. I'm still worried about our lack of good equipment. Thankfully though, we were able to scavenge some weapons off the Sectoids' corpses, but I don't know whether to continue researching laser pistols or make a start on the Alien weapons.

The medical staff also told me that Spartan 117 was wounded. and he'll be out of commission for a few days. I hope he'll be back to a good condition by the time the next UFO shows up, he probably will be.

I hired another man to replace the Redshirt we lost. Not much else for today though.

Readers' Choice

Should we finish the laser weapon research?

Or should we start researching the plasma?

End of Chapter 2

Statistics

Redshirts Left: 4

Obamarama: HWP Driver
-Kills: 2
-Missions: 1

Spartan 117: Current team leader.
-Kills: 1
-Missions: 2
-Injured for 2 Days

Sniper: Carries Grenades and Sidearm.
-Kills: 0

Nirur Torir: On the Autocannon with HE Rounds

Undead Benito Mussolin: Undead Italian Dictator
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 05:18:24 am by DI7789 »
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 07:06:12 am »

McFrederick will tap into his booze stockpile sorrowfully as he realizes that he failed to damage the ufo sufficiently, and thus a grunt lost his life. He also votes for plasma, so he can upgrade his missiles into "PLASMA CANNONS!! HAHAHAHA! Ah'll kill 'em all! Just ye wait, laddies!"

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 11:32:28 am »

We have the laser rifle so I say go for plasma!

Can I get a soldier?

Name: Metal Militia
Class: Medic/techie
Weapon: Rifle intill we have laser, a medpack, mines and anuyhing else that falls into those two catogories when they are avalible.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 11:35:39 am »

I say continue with laser. The rifles become rather helpful later. Plus, I could use a stronger sidearm.

BTW, I think Sir Snipesalot would be better than just plain "Sniper".

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 06:13:48 pm »

Field Commander "Spartan 117", personal log.

Ow. Ow. Ow.

This green crap hurts.

Any-ow-way, we have-ow-a tank n-ow.

It's pretty-ow-cool, we only lost one-ow-guy this time. Ow.

Oh, and apparently the-ow-commander wants us grunts to choose between lasers or alien guns.

Hm...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lasers.

Oh and I made-ow-a new tactical diagram!

And here's a map of the newest alien craft.

Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 06:27:19 pm »

I'll take a soldier.

Name: Fritz
Occupation: Medic (High APs is a must. Decent bravery is also required, so he won't panic and can actually go heal people)
Desired Equipment:
   Pistol (best available)
   Medkit (when available)
   Smoke grenades & lights
   Stun rode (upgrade to Small launcher eventually)
Role: Until we have medkits, his job is to lob smoke grenades and lights around to support everyone else. He can also use his pistol or stun rod if needed. Once he has a medkit, he's to tag along behind groups and try to keep people alive and provide covering fire if he has nothing else to do.

If I'm lucky, he'll end up like the medics in my X-com games. Somehow they always end up living forever and getting tons of kills. I really don't know how, but they pull it off.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 06:43:26 pm »

We have the laser rifle so I say go for plasma!

No, we don't even have laser pistols yet.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 07:00:09 pm »

The drawings amuse me.

From the log of recruit Nirur Torir:
Dear diary:
Yesterday I got to go on my first mission with this new unit. We fought actual aliens! Sorta like in the movies, but these were real! It was awesome. I love my autocannon. Weighs a ton, but it fires explosives, and it's an autocannon! It's awesome!

PS: The commander is awesome. He doesn't yell as much as my last superior officer.
PPS: I forgot to bring my medication. I hope that secretary remembers to order me some more, he seemed forgetful.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 07:01:58 pm by Nirur Torir »

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 07:00:35 pm »

Woo! Xcom!

I'd like a dude please.

Name: Tamunshin
Pref. Occupation: Second wave assault/ Demo

Pref. Stats:
Strength
Health
Ap's

Pref. Weapons (least-most preferred):
Primary: rifle - las pistol - las rifle - plas rifle - heavy plasma
secondary: nothing - las pistol - plas. pistol

Pref. Equipment
  -Armor (obviously)
  -Alien Grenades (regular till we get them)
  -Stun rod
  -High Explosives

Ideally make him the guy that goes in after the grunts and shoots the crap out of everything that's left or the guy who blasts a hole in a wall or something to gain entry.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 07:09:31 pm »

The drawings amuse me.

From the log of recruit Nirur Torir:
Dear diary:
Yesterday I got to go on my first mission with this new unit. We fought actual aliens! Sorta like in the movies, but these were real! It was awesome. I love my autocannon. Weighs a ton, but it fires explosives, and it's an autocannon! It's awesome!

PS: The commander is awesome. He doesn't yell as much as my last superior officer.
PPS: I forgot to bring my medication. I hope that secretary remembers to order me some more, he seemed forgetful.

I'll keep drawing them then!

And which commander? The COMMANDER commander or the field commander? I'm the field commander. :P

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 07:16:25 pm »

Field commander, of course. Presumably, you'd have more contact time in which to not yell at my alter-ego. Or something.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 08:47:13 pm »

Sign me up!

Name: Fist McPunch
Class: Any
Stats: Any
Equipment: Some armour and a pint.
Mood: Drunk 'nd Fighten'

Oh we should research lasers. You don't have to worry about ammo then.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:48:49 pm by Mr Tk »
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 09:00:54 pm »

Subject: Medical Report.

About: Field Commander Spartan 117.

Report filed by: X-Com Head Surgeon Leonard McCoy.

Report directed to: X-Com Commander *OOC: Just imagine whatever name you want here*.

Report:

Luckily, the shot only skimmed the patient's shoulder, and he will make a full recovery in around two days. He claims is experiencing pains from the burn, but I believe he is exaggerating.

He has been keeping himself entertained drawing pictures and diagrams, which further supports that he is recovering quickly.

Of these pictures, he has created four motivational posters which he asked me to copy and put up around the base. He specifically mentioned the barracks, armory, and training areas.

If you permit it, I'll get someone to start on it.

The posters are attached to the report.

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 09:04:35 pm »

Chapter 3: Interceptors, Plasma, and Heavy Weapons Platforms

To: Marcus Herman, Head of eXtraterrestrial COMbat Force
From: H.R.H. The Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
RE: Granting of Knighthood

Dear Mr. Herman,
                       This letter is written to inform you that you are formally invited to attend the Knighting Ceremony of your employee, Sniper, it is scheduled to take place at 17:00 at Buckingham Palace on the 20th of January. The invitation is extended to you, and you alone. Wear formal clothing and remember your etiquette. We hope to see you there.
Sincerely Yours.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This news came as a bit of a shock, at first I had no idea what Sniper had done to get Knighted, I later found out he had written a bestselling novel under a pseudonym and was being Knighted for "services in the field of literary excellence".

I decided to attend, it's not as if it'll be an everyday occurrence to see the Queen. And it was a very elaborate ceremony, when Sniper stepped up to face Her Majesty, I swear I actually felt my chest puff out with pride. As she made the dubbing, there was a bit of shock when she pronounced him "Sir Snipesalot", instead of "Sir Sniper", I cast a glance at Sniper, of course he couldn't see me.

After the ceremony was over, I talked to Sir Snipesalot about it, and he explained he thought it sounded better then "Sir Sniper". I must say, I agree.

Also, one of our Redshirts stepped forward today and announced his name was "Metal Militia". We shall be calling him by that from now on.

He's already been on one mission, maybe he thinks that entitles him to a name.

No sooner had I sat back down in my office, alarm bells began blaring. Aliens were invading, attacking Manila. I ordered our men to suit up and get in the Skyranger. This should be an interesting chance to test out our new Laser Pistols. Also, Spartan 117 left the sickbay today. Lucky bloke, the second he's out of medical care, he's off on another mission!

Obamarama: Contact! Doesn't look like a Grey. Let's see if it'll fry like one.

Obamarama: Certainly does! Got another one a little way up.

Spartan 117: Got it. These guys drop pretty quick, don't they? Everyone! out of the 'Ranger!

Obamarama: I can see another one just under the engines of the 'Ranger.

Undead Benito Mussolini: Taken a shot. It's going down.

Obamarama: There's another one outside a building across the road.

Obamarama: Like fish in a barrel.

Undead Benito Mussolini: What the hell's that thing?! It's massive!

Obamarama: I bet it'll go down to cannon shots just as fast as the others...

Spartan 117: Wait! You're too far away, one miss and you'd blow up a building.

Undead Benito Mussolini: I've got a cannon, mind if I take a shot?

Spartan 117: Go ahead.

*boom*

Undead Benito Mussolini: Direct hit!

Undead Benito Mussolini: Did...did that even scratch it?

Spartan 117: I don't think so. Obamarama, get closer, then open fire.

Spartan 117: Whoa! There's another one.

Obamarama: No problem.

Obamarama: One down, one to g-

Obamarama: Two with one stone...well, when opportunity knocks and all that.

Spartan 117: Good job Obamarama, and Undead Benito Mussolini. How's the rest of the squad doing?

Nirur Torir: Not too good sir! Got two of them bearing down on us!

Metal Militia: Watch out Redshirt!

Redshirt: Arrrggh!

Metal Militia: Dammit! The aliens got the Redshirt.

Nirur Torir: Don't mourn him now, return fire!

Nirur Torir: Got them, see any more out there Militia?

Metal Militia: Coast looks clear from here.

Obamarama: I see another one through one of this building's windows...Hey, you guys ever played pool?

Spartan 117: Yea, if this is chatter, try to avoid it, please.

Obamarama: It ain't. You ever had to make one of those shots between two sets of balls?

Spartan 117: Yea. I really don't see what this has to do with the situation at hand though.

Obamarama: I kick ass at pool. Watch.

Spartan 117: Did...you...just...shoot a rocket through two open windows, and hit the target?

Obamarama: Told you I kicked ass at pool.

Nirur Torir: Hey, well done Obamara-

Sir Snipesalot: Watch out!

Metal Militia: Got it. Was that the last one?

Spartan 117: Doubt it. Keep your eyes open gentlemen.

Obamarama: I see another one! Opening fire.

Spartan 117: You missed. Hey! Go easy on that ammo!

Obamarama: Direct hit!

Spartan 117: That the last one?

Spartan 117: Yes!

Debriefing

This was the first time the X-Com agents have encountered an attack upon an urban area. I must say they handled themselves excellently, with only one loss to report, his replacement is already being flown in (I have word that his name is Tamushin), with another redshirt already on his way here to replace the one we lost in the last UFO raid (I believe his name is Fist McPunch). I have commended the squad on a job well done.

Now, on to the subject of research. I've had a chat with the scientists and there was a slight majority in the number of people wanting to research lasers. I've ordered that they continue researching them. I've also hired a few new scientists to help out.

In the base, I've built an alien containment chamber, so we can interrogate some of our captives.

I've noticed on my walk around there are several motivational posters done by Spartan 117, I must remember to compliment him on his artistic skills next time I see him. They make a nice touch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reader's Decision

Sorry, it's not as big a choice as I'd like:

Do you think the pictures should have the DOSBOX border around them?

Or do you prefer it when all you can see is the Battlescape?

Chapter 3 Statistics

Redshirts Left: 0

Obamarama: HWP Driver
-Kills: Unknown, estimated: 7
-Missions: 3

Spartan 117: Current team leader.

Sir Snipesalot: Carries Grenades and Sidearm.

Nirur Torir: On the Autocannon with HE Rounds

Undead Benito Mussolin: Undead Italian Dictator

Metal Militia: Medic/Techie
-Kills: 3

Fritz: Medic *

*The reason for the high rank is due to the Redshirt you replaced having a serious case of Badass Syndrome.
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2009, 09:30:26 pm »

Field Commander "Spartan 117", personal log.

Huh.

As soon as I get out of the medbay, the alarms go off.

The aliens attacked Manila, and it wasn't even the same aliens! Little grey freaks must've brought in their friends.

Ah well. They die easy, we wiped 'em out with only one loss. We even got a prisoner!

There was ONE thing though, they had some sort of massive beasts tagging along. One of 'em took an autocannon shot and survived!

Tank did them in though. That tank operator deserves a medal. Remind me never to play pool with him though.

I saw my posters around the base, I think the commander likes them.

The new laser pistols are great, I can't wait 'till we get 'em in rifle form! Or on our tank!

No new pictures for now, might make some more later.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11