Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Marathon Let's Play: X-COM!  (Read 18999 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Marathon Let's Play: X-COM!
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2009, 07:14:22 pm »

I'd like to take out the base, but my love of watching things die is over-ridden by my love of watching things that aren't my allies die. We should probably wait for armor.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2009, 07:14:56 pm »

Yes we should attack the base. It should give us materials for power amour, also it means that we can try and stun a leader or commander to study.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2009, 07:36:50 pm »

Eff' yeah. Permission to upgrade to Heavy Plasma, SIR!

And furthermore, if it is possible, we should be well prepared to raid a base. As much as I appreciate the more revealing armor, we need something much more durable.

Sub-project, we ought to research any alien stunning weapons available if we have any to study. Boost our efficiency and odds of snagging a commander in the future.

Journal and mission logfiles will be uploaded in due time.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2009, 09:30:03 pm »

I say we hand out HP's and armor, and then attack.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2009, 10:06:34 am »

Chapter 8: The One Where X-Com Kicks Alien Bum Again

When I left off, we had been hit by massive news.

I had a meeting with the soldiers, asking them if they were ready to undertake their biggest, most dangerous mission yet. They assured me they were ready. I hope to God that they are.

After the Skyranger was sent out, I received word of something slightly less worrying.

I ordered the Interceptors out in case the UFO took off.

Mission Control: Alright men, you've been split in to two groups. Prepare to assault the base.

Spartan 117: Everyone, look for the Alien Control Center. Try and stun all the aliens in there, then blow it up.

Obamarama: I'll scout the corridors.

Obamarama: Got a Reaper!

Sir Snipesalot: It's a Floater base.

Obamarama: This Tank's taking a lot of hits, guys! Any luck finding that Contol Center yet?

Metal Militia: Nope.

Obamarama: Little pricks...

Zombai?: Got a Storage Room here, maybe the Contol Center's through here?

Obamarama: I'm  getting mobbed here! Hey...what's tha-

Obamarama: Jesus, that just took out my tank!

Nirur Torir: I must say, you're taking this pretty well.

Obamarama: I got a punching bag for taking my anger out on...in fact, I think I may need it now.

Spartan 117: Take as long as you need.

Redshirt: I found the Control Room!

Spartan 117: Good. Sir Snipesalot, Ruckus, with me. Everyone else, get back to your entry points. This is nearly over.

Redshirt: There's a Leader up there, we're gonna need to be quick.

Sir Snipesalot: Watch out!

*Zap*

Redshirt: Got it.

Bahl: Well...this was easy.

Spartan 117: Sir Snipesalot, stay with me and prime grenades. Redshirt, Ruckus, take that Leader back to the Skyranger.

Ruckus: SIR YES SIIIIIR!

Fritz: Enthusiastic guy, ain't he?

Spartan 117: Grenades out, fire in the hole!

Sir Snipesalot: Nice!

Spartan 117: Well done, men.

sorry for the lack of screenshots. To be honest, very little happened. No promotions either, sorry Nirur.

Debriefing

They didn't face as much opposition as I was expecting. Although that massive explosion that blew up the Tank was worrying. If we can somehow find what weapon did that and adapt it for our use, however...

Post-Alien Base Attack

After the base attack, the UFO we had spotted earlier attempted to take off. Our Interceptors grounded it, permanently. But I wasn't ready to divert the Skyranger yet, I wanted a new laser tank to be built before the crew went on any more missions. I ordered the engineers to begin work immediately.

Then, once the Interceptors returned to base. I received a report of ANOTHER UFO.

It was getting worrying now. I couldn't deploy the Interceptors because they were refuelling. I don't think the Aussies will be too thrilled with this. By the time one of them was ready, the UFO had already fallen off Radar.

Some good news though, the scientists announced they'd finished work on the plasma cannons. McFrederick ran in to my office to request the engineers make him a pair for his Interceptor. I complied, but told the engineers the construction of the Laser Tank came first. Also, since some of the personal armour we have right now is a bit...flimsy, the scientists are working on a new armour, a more protective version. They theorise that by using Elerium as a power source, they can make armour that uses a power source to move. Meaning the soldiers don't need to worry too much about movement and can focus more on killing aliens.

Aw...<bleep>

End of Chapter 8

Readers' Decision:

We have Heavy Plasma, but we don't have a tank. Should we save Canberra?

Also, research. We haven't interrogated an Alien Navigator or Leader yet, in fact, we haven't even interrogated a single alien since X-Com was founded. And we haven't researched Alien Navigation or UFO Power Sources. We're also missing out on most Plasma weapons and Motion Sensors. What are your recommendations?

Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2009, 10:34:16 am »

Well, no point in researching any Leader besides a Sectoid at this point. We want psi, but all the rest of the info is only important later. Getting Hyperwave decoders will help us a good bit, though.

I say that we get Hyperwave decoders (through the Navigator), and then start working on either better ships or better armor.

As for the Terror mission...of course we go! We can't let an entire city get torched just because we don't have our tank. X-Com is not full of cowards! Homicidal maniacs, perhaps, but not cowards.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2009, 11:05:52 am »

We must at least try to save the city. I vote we research Hyperwave decoders next, followed by medikits.

Log of McFrederick:
Haha, me cannons are nearleh readeh. Gotta celebrah. Ah cen buy more rum latah, gotta drink et all now. Haha. Stuck mah bagpipe recordin' in tha Skyranger. Goota raise morale while tha tank's gone-Oh, mah head. Gotta get back ta drinkin'.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2009, 12:19:04 pm »

Spoiler: Combat Reports (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Personal Log (click to show/hide)

(All reports and journal entries are now compressed into this format, and will be like this from now on.)

If we have Sectoid leaders, research them first. If not, then any Navigator for forewarning devices.

We can worry about the rest of the crap later. I'm loving my new gun. I might have no more need to have a sidearm anymore, so I don't care about a sidearm upgrade anymore.

We might need Obamarama for good defensive measure. If we can spare a little time, we'll get our tank first.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 02:00:09 pm by Itnetlolor »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2009, 12:40:30 pm »

What do we need a tank for? Are you confusing X-Com with an organization that actually cares about casualties? CHARGEEE!

(Actually, we CAN spare time - IIRC, terror missions only despawn if nothing is en route to them, even an interceptor.)

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2009, 01:56:28 am »

Field Commander "Spartan 117", personal log.

Whoo!

I'm out of medbay, and my influence on the team shows. We took out an alien base, and suffered no losses.

Ow! Stop hitting my with that pillow!

Okay, we lost the tank, but we can always build a new one, right?

Ow! Okay, THAT'S IT!

*Fighting noises*

OOC: Let's go fight the aliens with our plasma pew pewers
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2009, 08:00:00 am »

Chapter 9: Have You Got the X-FactorCom

Spartan 117: Okay, we don't have Obamarama for this mission

Obamarama: The hell you don't, you just don't have my tank.

Spartan 117: ...Yeah, like he said. Be on alert, we don't have anything big and powerful watching our backs this time.

Sir Snipesalot: Sectoid outside the ship! Got it.

Sir Snipesalot: What the hell is that?

Spartan 117: Reminds me of a disc, think lasers'll fix it?

Sir Snipesalot: Let's see.

Metal Militia: Good God, do they have C-4 wired in to that thing?

Spartan 117: Everyone out of the Ranger, scout out the area.

Fritz: Snipesalot, Zombai?, follow me in to those warehouses, I'm seeing a lot of movement.

Spartan 117: GRENADE!

Bahl: Wow, I didn't even feel a thing, this armour kicks arse.

Spartan 117: Maybe it saved you, but...that Redshirt just got vapourized.

Bahl: We need to find out how those grenades work, if we used them against the aliens they'd have no chance.

Nirur Torir: Found an alien over here!

Spartan 117: I got it.

Spartan 117: Heavy Plasma, eat your heart out.

Sir Snipesalot: Another one over here.

Fritz: Don't go in alone, there might be more. I'm coming in.

Sir Snipesalot: From where? I don't see you.

Fritz: Through the wall.

Sir Snipesalot: Very original.

Nirur Torir: Another Sectoid down.

Metal Militia: More grenades going off over here!

Spartan 117: Stay in cover, I don't want any more casualties.

Sir Snipesalot: Some people say using Heavy Lasers in close quarters is cheating. It is. But I really don't see their problem.

Fritz: I'm seeing more movement in the next warehouse over. Zombai?, cover our backs.

Zombai?: Got it.

Sir Snipesalot: I think it just blew itself up.

Fritz: I don't know, keep your eyes open.

Zombai?: There's a Sectoid shooting me. I'm returning fire.

Zombai?: Got it

Spartan 117: Another disc, everyone, stay away from it.

Spartan 117: It's down, everyone, brace yourselves!

Fritz: Watch out Zombai?, there's a Sectoid firing at you from the street.

Zombai?: Wh-Arghhh!

Fritz: ZOMBAI?!! Take this, Sectoid scum!

Sir Snipesalot: Fritz! It's dead!

Redshirt: Hey, uh...guys...Metal Militia's here...

Spartan 117: What?

Redshirt: Metal Militia, he's...dead...

Spartan 117: What?! But how come we didn't hear him on the radio?

Nirur Torir: Huh? You couldn't hear his chatter?

Spartan 117: He's been talking?

Nirur Torir: Yeah, he's been talking on the radio through the whole mission, he's shot about two Sectoids on his own, bashed one to death with the butt of his gun.

Spartan 117: But we haven't heard him.

Nirur Torir: Hm...weird...you don't think the aliens've found a way to block our communications, do you?

Spartan 117: I don't know. Anyone see any more aliens?

Fritz: Nope.

Nirur Torir: All clear.

Redshirt: None here.

Spartan 117: Alright, mission success.

Debriefing

Worrying. In case the aliens really have found some way to hinder radio communications, I've ordered the training regimes to be more rigorous in case any of our soldiers ended up going solo on some missions in the future. Also, some of the soldiers reported headaches and migraines after the mission, one of them even said he heard a "soft whispering sound" in his ear. This is an unpleasant reminder of how much more advanced these aliens are. Metal Militia, Zombai? and the Redshirt shall be missed.

In other news, the researchers have managed to construct something more powerful than Personal Armour.

I've ordered them to get started on something a bit...grander, in scale.

It's been quiet since the Canberra Invasion. Mostly it's been the scientists running around frantically and the soldiers outside training. It's all quiet on the Western Front...

End of Chapter 9

Readers' Decision

Once we're done with the Hyperwave Decoder, here's what we have to work with:

Make your decisions.

Also, since it's been a quiet month on the scanners, I've been studying the graphs, and I've got a few copies which show where the biggest amount of UFO activity is taking place.

Top 5 Spots For UFO Activity: Sorted By Area

Top 5 Spots For UFO Activity: Sorted By Country

Does anyone think we should investigate any of these?
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2009, 09:38:00 am »

If you haven't rearranged the base for chokepoints, plasma defenses are a must. Alien grenades are nifty too, especially against Chrysallids.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2009, 10:21:32 am »

I'm in favor of going for Alien Navigation so we can start working on more advanced craft.

Sounds like Australia is a pretty heavy alien spot. Might be worth checking out. Also might be worth sticking a listening post somewhere in SE Asia.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2009, 10:27:57 am »

Spoiler: Combat Report (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Personal Log (click to show/hide)

Before we go investigating; we have to compare and contrast.

I think after annihilating the base in Australasia, they won't be bothering that area for awhile. I say we should investigate Russia and Africa respectively. That is, depending on XCOM activity in those locations.

The US can take a bit of peeking at if we can spare the time.

As for research: I'm in agreement for Navigation. Shame we lack a Sectoid Leader or one of higher ranking. We can research Alien Grenades and disintegrate them for once.

EDIT:
I also propose we make it a priority to capture a live Sectoid Leader. Do we have any devices to figure out which one it is? If we continue the trial and error method, we can always leave to the Redshirts to handle.

FURTHER EDIT:
Here's some gift art for keeping me alive for so long, which I won't mind using as my new avatar after Gobboween.
Spoiler: HFSCOM (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:12:31 pm by Itnetlolor »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2009, 12:59:44 pm »

I vote we go for better X-Com craft. Interceptors just don't cut it against battleships, even with plasma cannons.

Also, what happened to my explody gun? I like explodys.

Also also: When did I learn how to aim one of those things?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11