Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Marathon Let's Play: X-COM!  (Read 18995 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Marathon Let's Play: X-COM!
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 10:34:24 pm »

Spoiler: Combat Report (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Personal Log (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:48:05 pm by Itnetlolor »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 10:36:00 pm »

((I'm fine with the border. Didn't really notice until you pointed it out, and it makes it easier for you to post more screenshots.))

From the log of recruit Nirur Torir:
Another mission well planned by Spartan 117 and executed by us. Different, meaner aliens. I wasn't scared though. So long as I have explosive rounds remaining, I'll keep killing every alien I see.

Okay, I admit it. I only have one kill so far. It's odd though, I thought I would be promoted to squaddie after getting a kill, but it's apparently been overlooked in some forgotten pile of paperwork somewhere. I hate paperwork, glad I don't have to do any. Ha, my first job was helping an office clerk for some insurance firm. Sure glad I got out of that business.

Aw, I'm rambling again. Heh, Spartan 117. What an odd name. Good artist though. Did I mention that there's a crazy Scottish pilot? Good Bagpipe player.

Well, the call's up for dinner. I'll write more later.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 08:56:41 am »

Field Commander "Spartan 117", personal log.

Short entry, just want to show some things I made.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 10:48:17 am »

Chapter 4: Insert Witty Cringeworthy Pun On Popular Obscure Movie Title Here

January 29th

The new recruits arrived today, Tamushin and Fist McPunch.

I wanted to meet them on their way in, but the alarms went off in the base again. There had been another UFO detected on the radar system.

That's not good.

That's really not good.

The radar didn't pick this craft up until it was right on top of us, it had already landed by the time the Skyranger and her crew took off. I'm going to have the engineers take a look at our warning system, I get the feeling if the alarm hadn't gone off sooner, we'd have aliens knocking down our door.

Obamarama: It's quiet, maybe they're all in the ship?

Spartan 117: I doubt it, everyone, stay sharp.

Nirur Torir: There's nothing over here.

Sir Snipesalot: All clear here too.

Fist McPunch: And I was lookin' forward to kickin' some alien arse, too.

Sir Snipesalot: Jesus! That was close.

Spartan 117: Everyone, get down, those weapons look accurate.

Fritz: There's one! I'm taking a shot.

Fritz: Damn, missed.

Spartan 117: Hang on, I'm priming a grenade.

Obamarama: That'll take too long, I'm firing a rocket.

Spartan 117: Nicely done...killstealer

Obamarama: Thanks sir!

Spartan 117: Okay, Fist McPunch, Sir Snipesalot, Tamushin, with me. We're gonna breach the UFO. The rest of you, keep an eye open out here.

Spartan 117: Okay, Fist, up front.

Fist McPunch: I get to go in first?

Spartan 117: Yea, sorry about th-

Fist McPunch: Hell yes! CHAAAARGE!

Fist McPunch: Take this, Bugeye!

*splat*

Spartan 117: Wow, excellently done Fist.

Tamushin: Are they meant to...splat, like that?

Sir Snipesalot: Only when you score a direct hit.

Sir Snipesalot: All clear at this end.

Spartan 117: Same here. Fist, fancy going first in to the next room?

Fist McPunch: YEAH! LET'S GO!

Spartan 117: Gotta commend him on his enthusiasm.

Tamushin: I'll try the opposite door.

Spartan 117: Another one, take this!

Spartan 117: Alright, everyone, group around the door, wait for the aliens to come out. How's it going outside?

*Boom*

Obamarama: SCRATCH MY TANK, WILL YOU?

Obamarama: TAKE THAT!

Spartan 117: Whoa, what happened?

Metal Militia: Alien shot at the tank. It's dead now.

Spartan 117: Oh, ok then.

Sir Snipesalot: Sectoid leaving the engine room!

Spartan 117: Open fire!

Spartan 117: That's the last one. Congratulations, men, one more mission under our belts.

Debriefing

Biggest success so far. I'm still worried about that UFO getting so close to us before it was detected though. I've congratulated the men on their conduct.

Okay, at the end of this month, I'm to attend the meeting to review X-Com's progress thus far. They were very pleased.

The scientists contacted me to say they'd finished research on the laser rifles. I've ordered them to make a start researching a Heavy Laser weapon, and told the engineers to start building six laser rifles for the ground teams to take with them.

Not an hour after this, a UFO was spotted in Africa. It was heading South, so I didn't bother deploying the Interceptors, it took five minutes before it left radar range.

Today, the scientists showed me the latest model of heavy laser weapon. I've ordered the engineers to build one for the soldiers' use. The scientists are now working on constructing an Auto Laser Cannon. I'm pleased with our progress this month.

We've spotted another UFO, this one is east of England. The Interceptors have been deployed. By the time they reached it, the UFO was heading to the Russian border.

McFrederick: AYE! Time to do some work!

McFrederick: Got tha' bastard, Interceptors 1 'n' 2 returnin' to base.

Misson Control: Roger that, Skyranger deployed.

Mission Control: Men, you have a special objective this time around. The scientists in the lab want you to bring 'em back a live specimen. Stun rods have been provided just for this purpose. Enjoy yourselves out there...

End of Chapter 4

Readers' Decision:

Another Research-Oriented question:

Continue researching everything to do with lasers?

Start on the alien weapons?

Start dissecting aliens?
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 11:21:57 am »

Two questions: Do we have medkits yet? If not, get those. After that, I think we should go for combat armor.

Also, can I see Fritz' stats?

And good work with the writing. I'm enjoying this!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 12:11:48 pm »

I say go for medkits, personal armor, heavy plasmas, then plasma cannons. Nirur Torir will stick with his autocannon, even though he doesn't seem to be getting much use out of it.

Log of McFrederick:
Har har, another alien down. Ah always thought UFOs'd be tougher ta shoot down. Ah finally got th' automated speech ta text program ta work. Ah've improved with ma bagpipes, think ah'll stick a recording under the pilot's seat in the transport next time it lands, set ta go off when it launches. Music'll raise morale.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 12:16:16 pm »

We need armor, so research alloys.

Then do plasma.

No log right now, sorry.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2009, 04:41:23 pm »

Spoiler: Combat Reoprt (click to show/hide)

I say for economic reasons, and for the sake of our pilots, let's finish off the lasers to at least Laser Cannon. After that, lets get to work on plasma weapons. I could use a more accurate/more powerful pistol after the laser pistol. Now, I'm not knocking it, it's just, I want a sidearm that can match with my primary, at least in power.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:46:51 pm by Itnetlolor »

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2009, 07:02:18 pm »

I'd say go for alloys, armor, heavy plasma, e-115, power suits, medkits. Frankly, before you get power suits medkits are next to useless as even with personal armor most guys die with one shot (hell, even a lot of power suits do).

Personal Log of Tamunshin [28th January 1999]:

I had no sooner dropped my bags in the living quaters than the alarms went off. I had to dress in my jumpsuit as I was running towards the skyranger. Seems that the alarm system is a bit wonky as these aliens were basically on top of us before we noticed them.

I'm glad that I survived this mission, from what I understand there have been a lot of casualties over previous missions, hopefully I'll be able to live long enough to make an impact on this alien invasion.

I still cant get over the adrenalinerush of seeing an alien for the first time, then seeing his gun pointed in my general direction. Even though I didnt get a kill on the mission, I'm still feeling great.

The head scientist has sent out a survey asking us soldiers what sort of technology we would like to have with us in the field. I said that first and foremost we should get armor of some sort, then we should look at using those fancy alien guns against the bastards. That said, I cant wait to get my hands on some high explosives and blow the [CENSORED] out of some aliens.

Ending log [28th January 1999]

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 07:46:19 pm »

Chapter 5: The Soldiers of X-Com and Other Animals

Spartan 117: Alright boys, first order of business is to secure the craft. See if any of the crew survived and use our stun rods to incapacitate 'em. Obamarama's scouting the place ahead of us. I want Undead Benito Mussolini, Nirur Torir, and Tamunshin to follow me in to the ship. The rest of you, scour the area for stragglers.

Metal Militia: Sectoid on the hillside, it's opening fire! Duck!

Metal Militia: Wow, its worse than us.

Sir Snipesalot: Hey! We're actually pretty good.

Metal Militia: Returning fire.

Metal Militia: Right between the eyes.

Spartan 117: Okay, greenest guy first...Tamunshin.

Tamunshin: Oh..are you sure you wouldn't prefer me to blast our way in with C-4?

Spartan 117: Normally, we would. But this craft is completely intact, we can't risk any explosive devices going off near the core. Which reminds me, everyone, get your stun rods out.

Tamunshin: Oh God...I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer...

Spartan 117: No Dune references soldier. Three. Two. One...charge!

Tamunshin: Oh God there's three of them!

Nirur Torir: Good, one each. Get them!

*Zap*
*Zap*
*Zap*

Spartan 117: It's not going down!

*Zap*

Spartan 117: Wait, nevermind.

Nirur Torir: The tech guys are gonna be happy with this, three of them. And I think one's a Navigator.

Tamunshin: How can you tell?

Nirur Torir: Because...uh...this one has some coordinates written on his arm.

Tamunshin: But you just drew those there! I mean, seriously, how can you tell which one's a-

Spartan 117: Cut the chatter, guys. I think the area's clear.

Debriefing

Another perfect mission. When the scientists saw what they would be bringing home with them they actually started jumping for joy. So I naturally assumed they'd want to start interrogating the alien first. But a few of them came to me afterward and asked if they could start work on medkits for our soldiers. They said it would help save lives in the field, so I let them, but only after they finished work on the Laser Cannon. Another group of them said they'd rather research some of the alien alloys the men brought back, so I told them that they may. When the Cannon is researched, the scientists will become two groups, one researching medikits, the other researching alloys.

The next week, alarms bells once again rang throughout the base.

I scrambled the Skyranger, but then the weirdest thing happened. By the time the craft reached Nairobi, the aliens had left.

I have no idea how that happened. It's not as if the Skyranger is slow, and its not as if the aliens are particularly fast. No matter, two days later the Funding Council called me for an emergency meeting. They said the death toll in Nairobi was over 1,000,000 people, and as such, they reduced funding. (Although Russia, on the other hand, seemed happy about that small UFO we shot down last week).

At the same time, our head scientist said they had completed the research in to laser cannons. And based on a sketch a soldier did, they had drawn up blueprints for a HWP with a laser cannon. I immediately told them to make a start on medikits, while I told the engineers to make me a prototype laser HWP.

Also, today, I requested to see the stats on the soldier Fritz, it occurred to me that I hadn't actually seen them yet, and I needed them for historical purposes.

Hopefully we can do better in March than we did in February. I've also started organising my memoirs a little better.

X-Com Operations in the Month of March, 1999

Not two minutes after the stroke of midnight, on March 1st, we had first reports of a UFO sighting over the Atlantic Ocean. The Interceptors were scrambled quickly. By the time the UFO had been engaged, it was in German airspace. I'm really thinking the Interceptors need to be a bit faster.

McFrederick: Oi, Mission Control, got 'nother un o' those buggers down in Germany

Mission Control: Excellent. Anything to report?

McFrederick: This 'un took four missiles to take down, normally it's only two.

Mission Control: Noted. Skyranger crew, if the alien is of a different species to the Sectoids, you are instructed to bring at least one in for interrogation.

Spartan 117: Skyranger on the ground, deploying HWP, Obamarama, any sign of-

Metal Militia: Eh? I thought the tank got blown up? Back when you lost your cool 'cos an alien shot at you...

Obamarama: It very nearly was, the repair bill came out of my wages...

Metal Militia: Oh, very sorry to hear that.

Obamarama: They promised me I'd get a laser tank later on though.

Spartan 117: Cut the chatter, keep an eye out for Alphas.

Obamarama: All clear. I'm going to check out a field behind the Skyranger, I think I saw some movement out there.

Spartan 117: Okay, everyone out of the Ranger, Tamushin, watch my back.

Obamarama: False alarm, nothing out here.

Sir Snipesalot: What if we need you? You're too far away.

Obamarama: I can deal with that. I'm in a tank. I can make my own shortcuts.

Obamarama: See?

Spartan 117: Area clear up here. I can see the UFO. There's smoke coming out the side.

Sir Snipesalot: We're moving up. Guns at the ready.

Undead Benito Mussolini: Nothing.

Fritz: God, this is so unnerving. Aren't we usually being shot at by now?

Spartan 117: Yeah. Everyone, move up. Tamunshin and Fritz, follow me.

Sir Snipesalot: This building's clear. This is seriously giving me the creeps. Where the hell are the aliens?

Fritz: I got one! I'm gonna take a shot.

Fritz: Damnit, missed.

Spartan 117: He's returning fire, watch out!

Fritz: Yep...that must be the sniper Sectoid.

Spartan 117: He's advancing! Open fire!

Fritz, Metal Militia and Tamunshin: Yes, sir!

Fist McPunch: Step aside, Rookies!

Fist McPunch: Got tha' bastard.

Spartan 117: Either these laser weapons are incredibly inaccurate, or you guys need some friggin' training.

Spartan 117: FIST! WATCH OUT!

Fritz: Noooooo!

Spartan 117: God-dammit, why did it have to be the best marksman, why did it have to be the only guy who actually wanted to go first in to the UFO... we're gonna miss you, buddy.

Nirur Torir: Got the bastard in my sights. Bye bye, Sectoid.

Nirur Torir: There's another one! Oh, you're going down too, bi-

Spartan 117: Well done, Nirur. Everyone, eyes open, close in on the UFO.

Obamarama: I'm at the entrance. Tank's stalled though, gimme a second.

Obamarama: Hey, the door just opene-

*Boom*

Obamarama: They're shooting at me! Those bastards

Obamarama: *Racial and xenophobic slurs that I am not allowed to type*

Spartan 117: Cool it, Obamarama.

Obamarama: No! Screw those aliens, I'm taking this whole <bleep>ing UFO out!

Obamarama: WHAT THE F-

Spartan 117: Everyone, mute Obamarama for a moment. Let's give him some time to cool off.

Obamarama: Please do!  I don't want some of you hearing what I'm about to say.

*Five minutes pass*

Spartan 117: I think he's done now. Tamushin, prepare to breach the UFO.

Tamushin: Can't I use explosive on this one?

Spartan 117: A tank round doesn't affect a UFO's armour, I don't think C-4's gonna help either.

Tamushin: *sigh* Fair enough.

Metal Militia: Good luck.

Tamushin: Oh God there's two of them an- Aarrgh!

Spartan 117: Tamushin?...Aw, crap.

Fritz: Uh...Spartan? Is this meant to be happening?

Spartan 117: I'm afraid so, Fritz, we've been having perfect missions up 'till now. We can't have that kind of success all the time. Too bad though, Tamushin was a good guy, so was Fist.

Obamarama: Aw, dammit. I'm gonna try to get through these walls.

Obamarama: Two shots and its still standing...ah, <bleep> this.

Spartan 117: Wait for them to come out. Be patient. They'll be sitting ducks for us.

Fritz: Got it, sir.

Spartan 117: Jesus! That was close!

Fritz: Its okay sir, I got it.

Spartan 117: Okay, get ready, I can hear one coming.

Fritz: Gun at the ready, sir.

Spartan 117: Argh!

Fritz: SPARTAN!

Metal Militia: Wait! I think he's alive.

Fritz: He's got a plasma hole in his chest, I don't think he's-

Metal Militia: No, look, he's breathing. He's unconscious.

Fritz: But...how...he wasn't even stunned.

Metal Militia: I don't know, but let's not waste time, when's that other alien getting out here?

Fritz: Shouldn't be too long.

Metal Militia: Quick, get Spartan to the ship!

Debriefing

A very bad mission. The deaths of Fist and Tamushin are saddening, they shall both be missed. Spartan is in the recovery ward of our sickbay. We don't expect him to make a full recovery for a whole month. I've filed a report requesting three new soldiers to be sent to the base, in case Spartan 117 takes a turn for the worse.

The men are in mourning, they were both very attached to Fist and Tam, and some of them have their doubts about Spartan.

End of Chapter 5

In Memoriam of this Chapter's Casualties

Fist McPunch: "The best marksman"
"The only guy who ever wanted to go in to the UFO first"
-Spartan 117, Squaddie, Fist's Team Leader.

"Everyone's going to miss Fist. He had a reputation as one of the best in X-Com. It's a true tragedy that his potential will never be fulfilled."
-Marcus Herman, Commander of X-Com.

Missions: 3
Kills: 2

----

Tamushin: "Tamushin was a good guy"
-Spartan 117, Squaddie, Tamushin's Team Leader.

"The man put his life on the line for X-Com. He gave it so that our men may live on."
-Marcus Herman, Commander of X-Com.

Missions: 3
Kills: 1
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2009, 08:47:13 pm »

Spoiler: Combat Reports (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:46:58 pm by Itnetlolor »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2009, 09:15:14 pm »

Log of Sgt Fritz 3-1-99

This company amazes me sometimes. I mean, I'm a trained medic and they have me wandering around with this freaking giant laser gun. I'm only certified with pistols, how am I supposed to hit anything with this monster?! And we don't have any med-kits with us, so even after one of our guys gets gunned down all I can do is hope for the best.

Hopefully they'll wise up and send us out with some proper medical equipment next time. We can't afford to lose any more guys!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2009, 09:18:19 pm »

Ha, while you're all off with heavy lasers, I've got my HE autocannon! I win!
I don't really care if McFrederick's interceptor gets upgraded with laser cannons, but plasmas are a must.

Log of Nirur Torir:
More missions. They've started to blend together, and I got my medication back. I'll miss Spartan 117 if he doesn't recover, but I made a picture of the battle in case he doesn't remember when/if he wakes up. Nowhere near as good as the masterpieces he draws, but I did my best. I don't know how my teammates can be so inaccurate with lasers. It hurts that they didn't believe that that alien I captured was a navigator though. I just had this feeling, and *knew* that he was a navigator. Perhaps drawing a coordinate plane on it wasn't the best idea, but I'd been hoping to convince them, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. Actually, in retrospect, why would they even have navigators? Shouldn't their computers do their navigating?

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2009, 10:19:47 pm »

God freakin damnit.

Anyways, if I may, I'd like another worthless meatsack.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2009, 11:01:06 pm »

Yaar, another if you please my good man.

Name: Zombai?
Everthing else: Anything

Prehumous  diary of Fist McPunch.

Aye, I've jus come back from a fight from those little grey bastards. Och, I even punched one in the face. Poor little bugger's face caved right in. I donna know why everybody's so fearful of 'em. Bunch of nyaff numpty's.

Anyhoo the alarms going oof again. Better finished me pint before I'll leave. Not cause I don't think I'm comming back, but because I don't trust the rest of the thieven bastards.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11