Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Marathon Let's Play: X-COM!  (Read 18985 times)

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Marathon Let's Play: X-COM!
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2009, 06:27:33 pm »

Field Commander "Spartan 117", personal log.

That last mission was just...let me just show a picture.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I almost feel bad for the aliens. I just want to finish the poor bastards off and use the obscene amounts of money I've been getting paid to buy my own fortress. I also had an idea about all those UFO's that fell in the water...

I wonder if those Elerium reactors are waterproof?
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2009, 07:09:52 pm »

What is the UFO kill count?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2009, 01:26:01 am »

Hahaha, I just realized something...  You know what XCOM needs?

More Warhammer.

I mean, think about it...  New recruits are the Imperial Guard.  They might get armor if they're lucky, but otherwise they're just kicked out into the field with kevlar and a standard-issue laser rifle.  T-shirt and laser pointer.  They love, and rely on, their tanks.

Experienced and valuable troops are the Space Marines.  They're given big guns like the rocket launcher, autocannon or heavy plasma, and are awarded with power armor.

Highliy skilled Psionic troopers are obviously Psykers, spreading panic and dominating the minds of the filthy aliens.

Even assault marines can be replicated by flying suits, possibly with stun rods and pistols/'nades.

Kill the alien.  All hail the God-Emperor of Mankind.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2009, 02:21:57 am »

Yeah, and TFTD and Apocalypse have lethal melee weapons.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2009, 04:48:28 am »

I approve of this idea.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2009, 10:00:44 am »

Damn it, now I"m gonna have to try a plasma pistol/stun rod wielding flying suit squad. The problem with playing x-com as warhammer though is that with the exception of a couple of the terror units, the aliens generally play a lot like the Tau... that is to shoot you with hurty weapons from a long distance. Tau are generally pretty good against assault heavy armies. And the humans in x-com aren't really very resiliant, even with the good armor. Trying to play the humans as orks, or even as space marines seems like suicide, especially without a quick way to get within assault range, your stuck to dealing with sneaky tactics to get up close and that's not really warhammer at all, unless you count the eldar.

There IS the option of doing it up like the IG. And that tends to be the way a lot of people play. That is, just pack the craft with rookies with cheap guns, laser/pistols or rifles usually, and maybe a tank or two. This is effective for a while, but you do need to upgrade things at some point. Usually it becomes some kinda mix between IG and Tau with your rookies remaining in the IG style and your experienced guys getting the alien weapons are starting to fight more like them.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 10:06:33 am by sluissa »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2009, 01:19:26 pm »

Spoiler: Combat Report (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Personal Log (click to show/hide)

As we wait, we might as well go base hunting, and stop the supply lines to gain tons of crap and elerium. Raid the base and get the rest; and then get prepared for a raid of the home base.

And excuse my late update.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:47:21 pm by Itnetlolor »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2009, 02:58:31 pm »

The problem with playing x-com as warhammer though is that with the exception of a couple of the terror units, the aliens generally play a lot like the Tau...
Well, those are obviously the alien mercenaries the Tau like to bring along.

Holy crap, that's it...  This whole invasion, it's a Tau assault!  They've hired on various other alien races and given them access to Tau technology like the plasma rifles before sending them in to soften us up!  I mean, hell, the ruling aliens in the invasion are even called 'Ethereals'!

And look at this picture, taken from an Ethereal autopsy.  Look like anybody you know?

Friends, I believe we have just stumbled upon something very very big...

Usually it becomes some kinda mix between IG and Tau with your rookies remaining in the IG style and your experienced guys getting the alien weapons are starting to fight more like them.

Actually, then it's just time to bring in the Kasrkins and Vindicare.  Let the aliens defile themselves with their heathen tactics and technology, we serve the Emperor!

Note that it's perfectly alright to use plasma weaponry and explosives...  Just say that we're the ones who made 'em.

Even so, laser weapons remain effective throughout the entire game.  Particularly against Ethereal attacks, due to how Sectopods take 150% damage from lasers.

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2009, 05:26:33 pm »

Sorry, there won't be an update today, it's Guy Fawkes night and I've got to be at an event to stop the host running around with a can of lager in one hand and a lit firework in the other.
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2009, 04:21:57 pm »

Chapter 13: Aliens on a Plane

Not much happened for the rest of July. McFrederick pretty much took care of all comers by himself.

We made first contact with the Mutons as well.

Obamarama noted that they were almost impervious to most damage.

He also noted they are some of the most spectacularly inaccurate shots he's ever seen. (The plasma shot in this picture was later found to have flown in to space and hit a Fox News Satellite. There was much rejoicing.)

We later intercepted and recovered a pair of Floater UFOs. The aliens appear to be making absolutely no advances in technology. And I can safely deduce we are much better tacticians than them, sine we're pretty much on the same level technology-wise and we are literally kicking their arses with a single tank...although, they haven't really attacked many cities lately.

The first profitable month in a while. I wonder how long these aliens can keep it up.

August, 1st - 31st, entry 1

Well, first interception of the month. Went pretty well, did incur one loss though.

Area 12 informs me they'll have another one up and running by the end of the week. And that pretty much closes today's entry. Since it goes quiet for a bit.

End of Chapter 13

Readers' Choice

No unusual alien activity spikes to speak of. Not a single bit of evidence suggesting there's a base anywhere on Earth. Research hasn't produced any new toys yet since we haven't actually procured any. It's rather boring.

Give me a challenge.

I don't care whether its to take on an entire mission with only one soldier, or...that's the only challenge I can think of at this stage. Any more will be welcome. I'll try to do at least one in the next update.
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2009, 04:25:48 pm »

only equip should be laser pistols and grenades, or just pistols.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2009, 04:28:16 pm »

Create a special "Spec Ops" team of men with no armor and stun rods to attack areas where alien commanders are believed to be.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2009, 04:29:32 pm »

Team of rookies with pistols and stun rods. Standard projectile pistols.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2009, 04:40:47 pm »

Suit someone up with nothing but stun grenades and armor. Just so he can carry more stun grenades.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2009, 05:12:22 pm »

Suit someone up with nothing but stun grenades and armor. Just so he can carry more stun grenades.

Wrong thread.  Man, we really need to sort these X-COM LP's...

Anyways, sure, a one-man mission sounds nifty.  Heck of a lot trickier than in Apocalypse though.

Here's something for you to do...  It's an idea I had a while back, and I want to see if it's good for anything. 

If you've got a fair amount of cash on hand, build another base somewhere.  Put in a hyper-wave decoder, five living quarters, five workshops, as many storage modules as you want and whatever defenses you might care for.

Then hire 244 engineers.

Essentially, you've just created a giant warehouse/production facility.  Any sort of weapons or armor or whatnot that you need can be produced here in a fraction of the time it would take to do it at your main base, and you can store all your extra junk in there as well. 

But more importantly, you can make money off it.  I was looking at a spreadsheet before, and found something kinda nifty...  Apparently, if you have five workshops working on producing laser cannons (244 engineers max, due to the space the lasers themselves take) full-time for one month, they will produce enough goods to net you over $10,000,000.

That's right, net.  Taking into account engineer wages, parts cost, workshop/living quarter maintenance etc.

So, yeah...  Just about double the amount of money coming in.  And you don't have to worry about this source deciding to cut funding, since it's a privately-owned business.  You do have to manage it a little bit more, but it's not that hefty a requirement.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11