Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Marathon Let's Play: X-COM!  (Read 18986 times)

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marathon Let's Play: X-COM!
« on: October 25, 2009, 03:01:29 pm »

(As if we don't have enough X-Com LPs on this board)

Hello! I'm DI7789 (Just call me DI if you want, its easier) and I'm going to be starting a Let's Play of the X-Com games (That is: UFO Defense/Enemy Unknown, Terror From the Deep, Apocalypse) in that order. I'll probably be trying to write a story to link the three, along with throwing it open to audience participation whenever possible (Of course, everyone can choose a soldier to be named after them).

If you're new to X-Com or haven't read a Let's Play yet, i can recommend one of Squeegy's, or Boksi's, or one of the all-time greats of X-Com LPs, Guavamoment's Apocalypse LP.

Here are some helpful notes:

• I'm gonna be playing in this order: UFO Defense - TFTD - Apocalypse
  • If you have a named character. Expect to die. If you are on the list to have a character named after you. Don't expect to wait long.
  • If your character dies (And they will) feel free to sign up again.
  • Readers will get to choose quite a lot. You choose what your soldier (If you have one named after you) gets as a main weapon, choose where the base is, what it will be called. And most major decisions will have some form of reader participation involved.
  • If interest stops. I'll keep going. It's bound to pick up again anyways.

And now, on to the first readers' choice

Where does our base go?

What is its name?

Soldier Claims

If you wish to claim a soldier. Please post saying so and also say what weapon you would like them to have.
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: Marathon Let's Play: X-COM!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 03:59:26 pm »

Name of base: Obamarama

Can I has dood?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 04:04:04 pm »

Yep. I'll wait for a couple more poeple to sign up first (or offer suggestions for the base) then I'll set it up.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 04:46:31 pm »

Switzerland served me well in my X-Com days.

It gives excellent coverage of Europe, where a large group of your backers are, and if you're lucky you'll pick up some UFO activity in west Asia and Africa.

Name the base...

Space Whale HQ.

That will make 'em sweat.

And can I have a sniper/long range support guy? I might survive a few missions that way.

Plus, you'll need someone to kill those baddies that your scouts find. Reaction fire hurts.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 04:53:07 pm »

Okay, brilliant. Just one more signup and I'll make a start. Oh, also, I'll probably have an opening for a HWP Pilot, the job with the highest survivability rating. First come first served.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 04:53:56 pm »

I shall drive the space plane.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 05:06:59 pm »

It's actually the Heavy Weapons Platform (HWP. Also known as the Tank). And no problem. Assuming you meant my previous post.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 06:43:35 pm »

I claim a fighter pilot, named McFrederick. Dual Avalanche launchers is a must. The plane will be named The Bagpipes.
Seconding Scotland, just because it's Scotland. Also, I've decided McFrederick has a Scottish accent. The base should be named Bay12. Because.

If you're not letting us claim fighter pilots, I'll just be a grunt. With a cattleprod and laser pistol.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 06:57:15 pm »

I claim a fighter pilot, named McFrederick. Dual Avalanche launchers is a must. The plane will be named The Bagpipes.
Seconding Scotland, just because it's Scotland. Also, I've decided McFrederick has a Scottish accent. The base should be named Bay12. Because.

If you're not letting us claim fighter pilots, I'll just be a grunt. With a cattleprod and laser pistol.

Scotland is okay too.

But the base MUST be named Space Whale HQ.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 08:40:40 pm »

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

Chapter One: Origins

On January 1st, 1999, representatives of all of the major countries in the world convened in America. The subject of the meeting was to create something to deal with the massive increase in the amount of alien encounters of the first and second kind in the world.

The product of this meeting: X-Com. The eXtraterrestrial COMbat unit. Following a vote, it was decided that the first base was to be set up in Scotland, in the UK, and that the British government would be most responsible for its upkeep.

The base was built with three hangars, enough living space to accommodate eight soldiers, and a lot of storage space. The hangars contained two Interceptor craft, one of which was piloted by a Scottish man named McFrederick who had already spraypainted the name "The Bagpipes" on the side of one of the Interceptors.

One notable soldier was:

The British Government appointed a man named Marcus Herman was appointed the head of X-Com. The following are mostly extracts from his memoirs:

Today, I got to survey this new military base that I'm apparently the head of. Scotland's a pretty nice place to put it, the scenery's great, can't say it's that good from a tactical point of view though. The furthest our radars are likely to work is probably somewhere in Northern Germany.

I saw the planes we'll be using for our operations. Can't say I like the look of our troop transport, the interceptors look great though.

After my tour, I went to my office and immediately placed a few orders for some better ordnance for our men, and some better weapons for our ships.

With our cash, I managed to purchase a brand new Avalanche Missile Launcher, and one of our Interceptor pilots, McFrederick, ran up to me and said he saw the crate it came in and asked for it to be fitted to his Interceptor. I didn't see why not.

Along with that, I ordered some of our scientists to start looking in to better weapons for our men. I've had a look at our guns and if what my superiors in MI6 were saying about the kind of enemies we were going to be fighting, they aren't enough.

And the best weapon in our arsenal. The one that cost a whole £480,000. The Heavy Weapons Platform. Hopefully it'll arrive before we make contact with our first UFO.

Bugger. Oh well, at least this should give us a chance to see what these aliens are capable of.

Tannoy: UFO Detected! UFO Detected! All Interceptor pilots scramble. UFO Detected!

McFrederick: Och, aye! Finally somethin' to attack. I's been nearly a 'ole week with nothin' to shoot at!

Our Interceptors engaged and defeated the UFO over Italy, the UFO crash landed in the countryside. The Skyranger and her crew were scrambled to attack the marooned spaceship.

Redshirt: Hell yeah! Let's go kick some alien arse!

Mission Control: Okay, everyone, split in to teams of two. If you encounter any extraterrestrials in the area, eliminate them. Spartan 117 shall be your commander for this mission.

Spartan 117: Right, everyone, you heard Control. Spread out, once the area is clear, stack up on the entrance to the UFO.

Redshirt: We're taking fire! Alien presence in the field!

Redshirt: Aaaagh!
Redshirt 2: REDSHIIIIIIIIRT! YOU BASTARD GREY!

Redshirt 2: Ha! Take that!

Redshirt 2: Argh!

Spartan 117: Hey, Control! We're dropping like flies here! Please advise, retreat or keep fighting? Over.

Mission Control: Keep going. Over.

Redshirt 3: Another Grey down! Can't see the UFO though. At least one more Grey somewhere outside.

Redshirt 4: UFO in sight. Our Interceptors really did a number on this. There's a massive hole in the roof.

Spartan 117: Roger. Stack up on the entrance. I want one of you to continue searching the surrounding area.

Redshirt 4: I'm in the UFO now. Smoke's choking me. One dead Grey, nothing else.

Spartan 117: See what you can find on the corpse. Everyone else, any movement?

Redshirt 5: Think I saw something moving in one of the barns. Permission to open fire?

Spartan 117: Granted.

Redshirt 5: Not seeing anything in there.

Spartan 117: Okay. Redshirts, go take a look.

Redshirt 4: We have names, you know?

Spartan 117: Yes. I do.

Redshirt 4: Found one! Opening fire!

Spartan 117: You...missed? You were aiming at something not two feet away. With the handheld equivalent of a frigging cannon. And you missed?

Redshirt 4: It...ducked.

Spartan 117: Oh...serves you right.

Spartan 117: Crap, she was carrying the rocket launcher.

Redshirt 3: It's okay, I got this Grey...

*shot*

Spartan 117: Aw, great, 3's down. Screw this, everyone! BACK TO THE SHIP!

Debriefing

I talked to Spartan 117 following that disastrous failure. He explained that the lack of skill demonstrated by our soldiers, and the general uselessness of our equipment (He made a point of mentioning the point blank miss of the Cannon). After dismissing him to let him have some rest. I had a friendly chat with my superiors, and they agreed to let me hire a few more scientists so we could speed up the process of building laser weapons.

Hopefully for our next encounter, we'll have a better chance of actually holding our own.

End of Chapter One

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 08:59:18 pm »

Sign me up.

I don't mind replacing a redshirt (upgraded from extra). I have a high likeliness to die anyhow. Even on my own playings. It's practically a running gag.

Class: Sniper
Sidearm usually carried
Nade: Proximity (I scare my targets into the nades. BTW, we gotta make use of these guys.)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 09:44:07 pm »

Since we're low on competent manpower, mind if I claim a soldier as well? Nirur Torir's a bit overeager, but he's great with an autocannon and HE rounds on full auto.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 10:38:32 pm »

De Facto Field Commander "Spartan 117", personal log.

Well, the first mission was great. At least, it was great until it started.

Those bug-eyed freaks cut my men-who's names I can not recall-down like grass to a lawnmower. Or a hungry cow.

Bah, they probably abducted some cows and are training them for combat.

Oh, the commander talked to me about the mission. I made sure to set him straight about the rocket launcher's poor...existence. Just give me a stupid Recoilless Rifle, even those old things were better.

I also took my rifle down to the range. A janitor is now in the medbay.

I figured the lack of a scope would be made up for by accuracy and or rate of fire. My first shot somehow shot out of the barrel SIDEWAYS, ricocheted off the wall, zipped around the room, and caught the poor sod in the arm.

My first idea was to put body armor stands by the door, when I realized we had no body armor.

At all.

Or helmets.

No flashlights either.

Well, I'm always trying to make the best of things, so I drew up some presentations for the commander, based on my tactical skills and what I saw during the last mission.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 10:56:15 pm »

So Italy took over all of Eastern Europe, Northern Africa, and Turkey? Interesting. Did Mussolini come back from the dead?

EDIT: Oh, you know what? I'll claim a guy. Undead Benito Mussolini, Italian Fascist Dictator.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 10:58:01 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 11:21:27 pm »

So Italy took over all of Eastern Europe, Northern Africa, and Turkey? Interesting. Did Mussolini come back from the dead?

EDIT: Oh, you know what? I'll claim a guy. Undead Benito Mussolini, Italian Fascist Dictator.

Let's not even go into the fact that Spain seems to control 5/6ths of Africa, but can only control around 3/4ths of it's own area.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11