Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Torchlight  (Read 26325 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Torchlight
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2009, 10:26:03 am »

They said it worked on netbooks.

They lied.

And so I'm mad... I'm bad... like Jeese James.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2009, 12:06:26 pm »

They said it worked on netbooks.

They lied.

And so I'm mad... I'm bad... like Jeese James.
Saying it works on netbooks is like saying it works on computers.
It works on some netbooks, not all of them.
It works on some computers, not all of them.

You can't rely on word of mouth to know if a game will run on whatever you want it to run it on.  There's too many variables.
Compare the specs.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2009, 02:12:03 pm »

It doesn't work in any netbook, really. Certainly in no netbook contemporary to the game's development and release date. I can't speak for the new "netbooks" with dual core processors (whose netbookness is dubious, given that they are the same price as regular laptops, and three inches larger than regular netbooks). Check the relevant threads in their forums if you dont believe me.

Besides, we are speaking of a rather uniform set of computers, you know. Most netbooks have a GMA950, 1 or 2 gb of RAM, and an atom processor (which is the biggest limiting factor here, really). There's not much divergence from this. In fact, I recall the devs said that they had tested it in one netbook around these lines. They claimed it got around 20 fps. And sure it does... in the menu.  During gameplay, youŽll be lucky if you get 14 fps regularly, which will drop to 6-8 during battles. And after the first three levels it gets even WORSE.

The "netbook mode" was simply a publicity stunt. The game was never meant to work on netbooks.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2009, 06:45:27 pm »

i hear the patch made it better in netbook mode.  you can also try manually lowering the settings.

it runs fine on my 5 year old laptop, which should be about on par with modern netbooks.  and thats not even in netbook or with super-low settings.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2009, 08:24:42 pm »

5 year old laptop, which should be about on par with modern netbooks
Nope.  They haven't made that much improvement in that form factor.
My laptop from 2002 still beats out a modern netbook.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2009, 03:22:11 pm »

Particularily processor-wise, which is the biggest limiting factor  in netbooks. The GMA card is actually decent enough to play some stuff (not top notch, but some stuff). It's the processing power that gives trouble.

Hence Warcraft III actually worked better (as long as you kept the number of opponents limited) than in my old 2002 laptop, as the netbook had a better graphics card, whereas Medieval: Total war, which worked fine in my laptop, barely works in my netbook.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2009, 04:11:03 pm »

Yeah, modern netbooks have a better integrated graphics chip than my old as hell laptop, but my old as hell laptop still has a more powerful processor than netbooks.

It runs torchlight fine, not good, but passable. Drains the battery like a bitch though, so I'll stick to xcom-esque games on it.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 24, 2009, 12:16:22 pm »

It runs okay on my netbook (acer aspire one). Wouldn't play a hardcore character on it though. Has anyone made any amazing must-have mods for this thing yet?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 24, 2009, 01:52:35 pm »

The only ones that strike me as necessary are the respec ones, so you can put points and try different builds without grinding another character, and the fishing one that gives many more types of fish with hilarious shapeshifting results for your pet.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2009, 05:05:40 am »

BUMP! Torchlight is $5 on steam for those who missed the steam memo! Get it while you can.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2009, 09:57:52 am »

Torchlight... getting cheaper and cheaper... Why did I buy it for full price?! WHY!!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2009, 10:30:33 am »

Torchlight... getting cheaper and cheaper... Why did I buy it for full price?! WHY!!

And how could you know that day? Be happy you can play this great game!
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2009, 03:17:02 pm »

I know, it's still annoying though.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2009, 03:54:33 am »

I know, it's still annoying though.

Learn to be more optimistic, you will find your life much more cheerful ;)
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2009, 04:36:01 am »

It work's on my Asus EEE PC 1000H... well maybe not as good as I'd like, but is playable.

...I just don't have time to play Torchlite cos' DF also works on EEE :D
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12