Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Torchlight  (Read 26346 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Torchlight
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 08:54:46 am »

There are a few theaters around where I live.  You can go to the really expensive one (I'm not sure exactly, but probably more than 10 USD) with awesome seats, huge screens, and everything.  There are a few normal ones, with okay seats and stuff, for around 7.  Then you can go to the one like five minutes from my house, with  1-3 dollar tickets, tiny theaters, and a tendency to have problems with focus and aligning the projector.  You get what you pay for.
Shoes...

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 01:16:32 pm »

I just preordered it. Good looking, far from extreme hw requirements, the developers are really nice people and they used the (open source) Ogre3D engine which is what I use at work too.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 09:04:41 am »

In country (the US) it takes more than 20 bucks to go to the cinema twice.

In my home country, going to cinema costs $4, believe it or not. And we're talking about good cinema here, with soft, comfy seats and clean floor. The company's strategy is to attract large number of audience, which is possible given the large population of the country (240 million peeps).

Yeah, yeah.

I haet 21, anyway.

I luv Blitz cause they just showed END OF EVANGELION 1.0 ! THE FIRST F(@*() ANIME TO HIT INDONESIAN CINEMAS!

For the love of Allah and Muhammad, Indonesians are too hollywood-centric for their own good.

Really.

(But oh I want to see End of Evangelion. But... NO PINATE'D DVDs FOR YOU JAPAANOPHILE, NO! YOU SUCK!)

Hur hur hur.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 03:15:44 pm »

I think a 60$ game is cheaper than the gold class seats here. The food is good, but I've had better and cheaper.

Of course, I'm probably the only person who has ever been somewhere that charges 10$ for a plate of baked french fries. That was their cheapest menu item, and probably the only one worth eating (seriously, a club sandwich with avacado?). Then again, this country is a tourist trap.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 03:56:32 pm »

i thought avacado was a defining quality of the club sandwich?  anyway, $10 appitizers are more common than you might like to think.

you cant compare the price of a game to the price of a movie, unless the game is only going to deliver 90-120 minutes of entertainment for you. 

in the case of dwarf fortress, its worth a number of hours equal to hundreds of movies.  in the case of a typical action/adventure game, maybe 4-6.  an RPG might net you 80 hrs of entertainment, or about 40 movies worth.

of course, thats just raw time wasted, in which case you might do better to compare it to a rented or netflix movie.  there is some marginal utility gained from the enjoyment of going out to the theater with others, or experiencing new releases so you can participate in conversations about them, or whatever.

regardless, $20 is cheap for a game.  some of the indy games that you can get for $10-15 are a real deal, and a $60 game isnt all that outrageous when you figure in what money is actually worth these days, and what similar forms of entertainment cost.  your money has halved in value since 1985, after all.

given the ammount of time you can spend on them, games probably give you the most entertainment (as in time wasted) for your buck.  unless you like doing totally crazy things, like reading library books or something.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 06:49:08 pm »

Torchlight is an incredible deal for a highly polished dungeon crawler from the creator of Fate and the co-creators of Diablo 1 and 2. It's pretty GD fun and in addition comes with a full set of modtools to boot.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 12:00:29 am »

@IndonesiaWarMinister
Yep, it's good to see some the competition is stirring up with the arrival of Blitz. Funny thing is, my dad's friend works at 21, while my friend works at Blitz. Talk about espionage!  :D

Although very rarely, 21 did show non-Hollywood movies, though. I remember watching a French movie that won best horror movie in a festival.

@Tilla
Glad that someone tried to steer back the topic back into Torchlight, lol. The game seems promising, but the cartoony graphics put me off. Have you played the game? How's the loot system? Will it help to kill time until Diablo 3 is out (assuming Diablo 3 delivers when it's released)?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 12:31:41 am »

@IndonesiaWarMinister
Yep, it's good to see some the competition is stirring up with the arrival of Blitz. Funny thing is, my dad's friend works at 21, while my friend works at Blitz. Talk about espionage!  :D

Although very rarely, 21 did show non-Hollywood movies, though. I remember watching a French movie that won best horror movie in a festival.

@Tilla
Glad that someone tried to steer back the topic back into Torchlight, lol. The game seems promising, but the cartoony graphics put me off. Have you played the game? How's the loot system? Will it help to kill time until Diablo 3 is out (assuming Diablo 3 delivers when it's released)?

The loot system and such are more or less the same as with the spiritual predecessor (This is a game by the creator of FATE), although it also does away with the tedious organizing of inventory - all objects take up just one square. It also brings the convenient pet feature from FATE, where you can load your pet up with all the unwanted loot and send him back to town to get rid of it (takes more time the further down you are. I imagine there should be a demo up soon.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 01:47:43 am »

Steam already has the demo atm and the torchlight website will have it soon.
Mac version is being worked on.

The game's art direction, while not all gritty gothic and serious, is still fabulous. The music is done by one of the guys who did music for diablo (Tristam anyone?), the creatures/characters stand out against the backgrounds, and it all seems to fit perfectly together.
While it may seem a bit cartoony, it's better that than trying to fake realism with low poly models. WoW can be pretty entertaining -depending on who you are- even though it's 'cartoony'. (A friend of mine describe it as "Diablo and WoW had a baby)

While the game probably won't ever surpass Diablo 3, it was never meant to. They don't even want to try, and one of the points everyone says is that it's a cheap, fun, and fulfilling game for $20 that you can play until Diablo 3 comes out.

The extensive modding capabilities may not mean much to you if you don't mod, but even so, other people mod and eventually someone will create pure gold. It could be a new class, or even a new campaign, or even basically a brand new game.

So if you have $20 now, or the next couple months *Holidays, people*, it's well worth a look into.
People do still play CS1.6 you know :P

*Yes I know I'm totally shilling the game, but hey, I haven't found a game I like for sheer potential alone this much since I saw dwarf fortress.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 04:48:57 am »

I bought and played it yesterday and love it so far. The diablo heritage is obvious, but in the best possible way. As such the release is timed perfectly, there's a lot of diablo 3 - starved people out there.

The graphics style might be a bit cartoony, but beautifully done and crisp clear (and still runs smoothly on my ancient laptop). Interface is simple and intuitive, and gameplay is good. The pet and fishing is a nice touch too. Difficulty on Normal is perhaps a little low so don't be afraid to crank it up a little.

Edit:
The music is done by one of the guys who did music for diablo (Tristam anyone?)
The "one of the guys who did music for diablo" you speak of is in fact Matt Uelmen himself, who made all the music and a lot of the sound effects for both diablos.

I just checked the credits page, and if you compare the diablo 2 and torchlight credits it's tempting to say that torchlight is a truer descendant of the diablo series than diablo 3 is going to be. They're really not kidding when they say "by the creators of diablo".
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:05:58 pm by olemars »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 08:04:43 pm »

It is released, has anyone tried it yet?
I got nothing

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 02:54:32 pm »

It is released, has anyone tried it yet?

I bought and played it yesterday and love it so far.
It's very nice and well worth the 15 bucks. I'd easily recommend it to anyone who likes hack n' slash games. Supposedly it even runs well on netbooks so it's perfect for those boring travels, lectures and business meetings.

Beware of addiction though, it has a very high "just one more level" factor.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2009, 07:23:22 pm »

It's very nice and well worth the 15 bucks. I'd easily recommend it to anyone who likes hack n' slash games. Supposedly it even runs well on netbooks so it's perfect for those boring travels, lectures and business meetings.

Maybe it is a problem with my OS, but on my netbook it is not comfortably playable. I can run it, play it, but when there are more than 5 enemies, it gets little laggy.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 10:50:54 pm »

Maybe it is a problem with my OS, but on my netbook it is not comfortably playable. I can run it, play it, but when there are more than 5 enemies, it gets little laggy.
Are the settings kept down low, and is 'netbook mode' checked?

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 07:57:09 am »

Are the settings kept down low, and is 'netbook mode' checked?

I AM SO BLIND! Thank you very much
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12