Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Torchlight  (Read 26348 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Torchlight
« on: October 25, 2009, 12:36:47 pm »

Normally, I am a bit wary about emails i get related to games like this, but I went ahead and took a look at the website. Lets say I am still wary, but in fact this looks like it could be quite a bit of fun.

Basically a Diablo type game, MMORPG, free to play but the game costs $20. The graphics look fun, the interface looks simple to use. Promises to be a hack and slash adventure with randomized dungeons, loot, monsters, etc.

Are we ready to say FU to Blizzard? I have been watching Diablo 3 a bit and while it looks kinda cool, I am a bit annoyed with Blizz. Really I have no prejudice against any game company simply for arbitrary reasons, it just that for me lately, Blizzard games seem to be a lot of design and fluff and less innovation. I will try it, and I might try Torchlight also. WOuld be nice to have something new like Diablo for some light hack and slash.

http://torchlight.perfectworld.com/
I got nothing

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Torchlight
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 12:42:12 pm »

Normally, I am a bit wary about emails i get related to games like this, but I went ahead and took a look at the website. Lets say I am still wary, but in fact this looks like it could be quite a bit of fun.

Basically a Diablo type game, MMORPG, free to play but the game costs $20. The graphics look fun, the interface looks simple to use. Promises to be a hack and slash adventure with randomized dungeons, loot, monsters, etc.

Are we ready to say FU to Blizzard? I have been watching Diablo 3 a bit and while it looks kinda cool, I am a bit annoyed with Blizz. Really I have no prejudice against any game company simply for arbitrary reasons, it just that for me lately, Blizzard games seem to be a lot of design and fluff and less innovation. I will try it, and I might try Torchlight also. WOuld be nice to have something new like Diablo for some light hack and slash.

http://torchlight.perfectworld.com/

free to play but the game costs $20

20$
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:46:24 pm »

Yes, I know $20 is a lot of money to some people. But here in the free world, I can pay 2 immigrants to work an hour for that price.

:'(
I got nothing

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 01:05:56 pm »

free to play for 20$]
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 01:32:05 pm »

free to play for 20$]

It does not require monthly payments like WoW. You pay for the installer, and that is all.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 02:31:32 pm by Virroken »

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 02:14:58 pm »

If it isn't a Monthly Payment then you should try it out, 20 bucks is a good deal.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 05:04:49 pm »

Taking it a bit wrong in this topic!  Here's the real story:

-Single player game(no multi-player) is $20  (less on Steam!) and comes out next week with the crazy powerful TorchED editor following a week or so after for free.

-A free-to-play(no subscriptions)/free to get MMO VERSION, serving as a followup of sorts, is due to come like 18-24 months from now.

-Roguelikes, substantial ones, are already started to be planned for Mod and Total Conversion wise, which the engine supports.  Not to mention, the game is quite Roguelike'ish period, as it is more in the spirit of Diablo than Diablo II.

-This is, be all accounts thus far, something awesome and to be noted----especially since the developers have had a fantastic track record of communicating with the playerbase both onsite and on SomethingAwful and implementing and explaining things as best as they can.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 05:08:23 pm »

free to play for 20$]

yes FREE to play, not free to "download" or "go to store and get box"
I got nothing

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 02:36:17 am »

Yes, I know $20 is a lot of money to some people. But here in the free world, I can pay 2 immigrants to work an hour for that price.

What? Why does everybody think 20 bucks is too much for a game? How much do you spend each day in Starbucks? 10 bucks? And what about in Burger King? 3.3 bucks for one burger?

In my country I pay more if I visit cinema twice.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 03:05:22 am »

um... 20$ is about 3 days worth of food and transport fees for me, and I'm in the wealthiest billion of our planet's population.  :-\
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 03:26:24 am »

um... 20$ is about 3 days worth of food and transport fees for me, and I'm in the wealthiest billion of our planet's population.  :-\

Oh. OK, good reason.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 03:31:15 am »

What? Why does everybody think 20 bucks is too much for a game? How much do you spend each day in Starbucks? 10 bucks? And what about in Burger King? 3.3 bucks for one burger?

Being an international student on low-budget, with $20, I can feed myself for 4 days (that's 4 days x 3 meals/day = 12 meals). And I can do this in a developed country where I currently reside. In my home (developing) country, the same $20 can feed you for two weeks.

Not all of us can afford buying coffee at Starbucks or a burger at Burger King. If you're one of those people, $20 is a considerable amount.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 05:26:46 am »

In country (the US) it takes more than 20 bucks to go to the cinema twice.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 06:41:17 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:14:24 pm by Stany »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 06:45:03 am »

In country (the US) it takes more than 20 bucks to go to the cinema twice.

In my home country, going to cinema costs $4, believe it or not. And we're talking about good cinema here, with soft, comfy seats and clean floor. The company's strategy is to attract large number of audience, which is possible given the large population of the country (240 million peeps).
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12