Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Torchlight  (Read 26308 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Torchlight
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2010, 08:58:53 am »

Also, is there any point in dual wielding except as a pile of enchantments? I shoot them in turns at the same speed as i do with only one and that bouncy shot doesn't do any more damage either.

If you put the points into the dual-wielding skill you can get another 40% bonus to damage. Whether that is worthwhile for you depends on how you want to build your character. At higher levels I find going pistol/shield is better for the increased survivability.

Special skill shots will base their damage off of whichever weapon has the highest dps. If your going to rely on specials then you may want to use 2-hander weapons as they tend to have a higher dps.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2010, 05:43:22 pm »

I suddenly realized I've been playing this game wrong. I switched from Diablo's "shoot retreat shoot" method to WoW's "when in doubt, outnumber it 40 to 1" and suddenly i don't have any difficulties with it whatsoever. My imps+skeletons+zombies+pet+pet's skeletons+pet's zombies+golems+archers+flying sword tend to kill bosses before I've even finished their introduction cutscene.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2010, 06:26:15 pm »

Yup. You are now aware that high level summon skeleton + heal all on yourself/pet/both = god tier.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2010, 06:33:34 pm »

I've also found that defense is usually a waste of time; potions drop so frequently and work so quickly (especially when you have full adventurer and are getting like an extra 50% effect on potions) that there is really little point to defense. You just pile on the offense and destroy everything before it can hurt you.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2010, 05:21:39 am »

What i meant was that Torchlight itself will not get Multiplayer added to it. The MMO version is a wholly seperate game.

They're making a Multiplayer Torchlight instead of adding in Torchlight Multiplayer.   Surely this is a very big difference to sulk about.

(It's going to be the same style, world, and play mechanics.   Saying it's not Torchlight Multiplayer is splitting hairs.)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2010, 05:27:15 am »

What i meant was that Torchlight itself will not get Multiplayer added to it. The MMO version is a wholly seperate game.

They're making a Multiplayer Torchlight instead of adding in Torchlight Multiplayer.   Surely this is a very big difference to sulk about.

(It's going to be the same style, world, and play mechanics.   Saying it's not Torchlight Multiplayer is splitting hairs.)

So would you suggest that calling Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 different games is splitting hairs? After all, they're the same style, world and play mechanics.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2010, 09:01:12 am »

It's going to be an MMORPG, with an overworld and multiple dungeons.
Shoes...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2010, 12:48:30 pm »

So would you suggest that calling Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 different games is splitting hairs? After all, they're the same style, world and play mechanics.
The problem seems to be semantics. You can say it will be Torchlight Multiplayer, but must be clear that Torchlight itself will remain singleplayer.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2011, 07:01:55 pm »

Epic 14 month necro go!

Torchlight is like fifteen bucks on Steam and is pretty awesome.  Requirements are even lower now by comparison to continually-advancing machines.  And of course it remains just as fun as the day it was made.

...I'm discovering that it has certain Disgaea-like elements to it.  At least that's what it feels like, when my character who's beaten the game and started diving into the bonus dungeon is doing upwards of 10,000 damage on a crit.  Victory, thy name is "run like a madman into a giant horde of enemies, and stomp the ground, killing them all".

Yeah it's only so hard, and it doesn't feel as long as D2, but that's what "very hard" and ironman dives are for.  Also mods, I guess, and it's actually made for them unlike D2.

...My "Sword of a Perfect World" has about twenty lines of bonuses on it, and I'm still stacking more enchants on it.  I'm going to feel like a real doofus when I accidentally disenchant it, but that's life.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2011, 08:02:49 pm »

Since this is here, it's worth saying that Torchlight 2 is coming in July.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2011, 08:15:28 pm »

Ooo, hey, that's rather pleasant.

Isn't it supposed to be multiplayer?

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2011, 08:23:49 pm »

If the trailer is anything to go from, yep.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2011, 06:55:49 pm »

I actually started having way more fun with Torchlight when I turned the difficulty to very hard, checked Hardcore and started playing it like a roguelike. You leave from town to the cave and never come back. Only times you can buy stuff is when you find a shopkeeper in the dungeon. The starting money should really be spent on potions.

To be extra-hardcore, pick Destroyer. It's way harder when you can't kite the monsters or summon your own. It's really intense and fun on any character though.

Also, I hear the console version came out, wonder how that is.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2011, 07:01:07 pm »

I played the console version before the PC version, and it is excellent.  Better than the PC version in some ways.  But then, I played a Destroyer at fairly low level, so I only had so many skills to fuss with and no ranged weapons to deal with.

Also, inventory is now a flat list...but you get 50 slots to make up for it.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2011, 07:24:14 pm »

Ooo, hey, that's rather pleasant.

Isn't it supposed to be multiplayer?

...Depends what you mean. If you're thinking that it's the MMO they want to build, then no. But it will have multiplayer capabilities. Think for Diablo II-esque, though they don't plan on having anything like battle.net.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12