Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Torchlight  (Read 26327 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Torchlight
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2009, 03:19:58 am »

Oh I see they are still working on it...

Okay that lets me get my SEKRIT IDEAS sorted out.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2009, 01:49:08 pm »

Did anybody notice that the Blacksmith is named, "Tarn"?  Is this a tribute to Toady, or just a coincidence?

Edit: Also there's a "Dwarven Fortress".  Hm, coincidence?  I think not.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 03:42:10 pm by lumin »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2009, 05:51:34 pm »

Hmm.  It crashed halfway through the first mine level.  Neat game but not worth the time to figure that out.  :x
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2009, 05:55:03 pm »

Lack of multiplayer coop is the reason I haven't bought this yet :/

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2009, 08:04:51 pm »

we need the dorf!

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4025
Huh, I was just going to post that here.

Yeah, I started just making it as a hobby, but I guess I inspired a guy girl who does models to edit the Destroyer mesh and scale it down. He She did such a fantastic job that it puts my crappy sketches to shame. Somehow I guess I stumbled myself into a major project XD.

Here's my latest edit, as I try not to double post too much. The current sketches are basically overlays of the model attempt Tiptoe did, along with some details and modification to the shape.

Here's front, side, arm, and back view.

Along with their model overlapping counterparts.

-
Here's the front and side view
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3056/dwarfmodelsheetsketch.jpg
Along with their model overlapping counterparts.
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6687/dwarfmodelsheetfront.jpg
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/181/dwarfmodelsheetprofile.jpg

Some alternate beard sizes.
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2176/dwarfmodelsheetbeardb.jpg
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9208/dwarfmodelsheetbeardc.jpg
And an alternate beard.
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6286/dwarfmodelsheetbeardd.jpg
-

Anyway, since this forum is full of Dwarf lovers, any design flaws that you notice, or suggestions, are welcome.
The current idea I have is basically 3 models of Dorfs. Basically the battle dwarf, beefy, knockback and devistating damage, Plate armor and such. The marksdwarf, Chain armor and such. And then the Engineer//Machinist, with Leather armor.
Each will have a tree dedicated to them along with the appropriate passives.

Battle Dwarf will get a Martial Trance buff and have an ability or two with knockback.
Marksdwarf will get Ranged abilities of course.
Machinist will get the rest of the stuff along with some appropriate abilities. Mini-ballistas/turrets and that stuff.

--
Edit: Updated some links.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 02:19:54 am by Thndr »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2009, 10:02:32 am »

I just got a super fast firing blunderbuss that happens to be ON FIRE.

I love this game.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2009, 01:44:56 pm »

Giving your pet an offensive spell or two wins the game. I taught my dog a fireball spell, now I can just hang back while it emits fiery death and then move in afterwards to loot the corpses. At least until I run into some tougher (or fire resistant) enemies.

Did anybody notice that the Blacksmith is named, "Tarn"?  Is this a tribute to Toady, or just a coincidence?

Edit: Also there's a "Dwarven Fortress".  Hm, coincidence?  I think not.

I haven't seen the dwarven fortress ingame, but I've poked around the torchlight model assets for the fortress and it's very dwarven indeed. There's a ballista that can fire four bolts at once out of the mouth of a huge carved angry dwarf head. There's also a bigass doomsday machine looking thing.

stuff

I'm pretty familiar with the 3D engine used in torchlight (Ogre3D), so if you struggle with getting something to work properly (models, shaders, particle effects) I might be able to give some pointers.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2009, 03:54:37 pm »

Well currently Tiptoe is doing all the modeling, I don't have any of the software for it yet. I guess the initial course of action is to see if we can scale the Destroyer's skeleton down to fit the model. (The model is a scaled and edited Destroyer mesh anyway)

Currently deciding on what to do with the beard, since she's concerned with it being large and clipping, and I want it to be dwarven enough. You guys got examples of small by mighty dwarf beards?

I should revisit the dwarven fortress level to see how the statues look as well.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2009, 05:58:50 pm »

Have it be bushy and stick outward a bit, instead of hanging down and flowing. Then you wont need to worry so much about clipping.

ALSO!

I am loving this game! Can't wait for coop play.

I am rocking out an alchemist on the hardest level, and it is pleasantly challenging!
I got nothing

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2009, 07:22:44 pm »

So I caved and got it.

Alchemist is awesome. Giving your pet heal all is a godsend, especially with summons.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2009, 04:41:38 am »

So I caved and got it.

Alchemist is awesome. Giving your pet heal all is a godsend, especially with summons.
So what, The promise of a Dwarf class convinced you? :P

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/2873/dwarfmodelsheetlines.png
Currently in process of creating linework with illustrator. The project has moved on from creating the base model and now is going to create the base armor design (equipping nothing).

The hands themselves are larger than the Destroyer's, and hopefully there an algorithm that automatically scales the size of the weapons. If so, the Dwarf is going to use Bigger weapons than the Destroyer! :D

Anyway, currently thinking using this design I was making (The one that inspired the modeler) for the base design.
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4536/torchlightdwarf.png
Depending on whats needed I'll probably have the toolbelt turn into a tool apron/belt combo and have most of the dwarven armors having a kilt/large shirt texture. Gloves may not be initial starting armor, boots will be leather, shoulderpad(s) will probably be there, and there will most likely be hair on the head at start (before a helmet).

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2009, 06:39:42 pm »

They've already got a patch for Torchlight out. Depending on where you bought the game that is. If you got it from steam it'll update itself automatically now. If you got it directly off the runic website you can download it there (it's really a full reinstall since they changed the whole asset packaging around to eliminate load times). If you got it from other download services then you might have to wait a little for it to go through all the QA hoops. Check the link for more details. IMO, requiring a full game download and reinstall on the first patch is a bit of a hiccup (although only 4-500mb), but supposedly the gain was worth the pain.

For a game that's been out for little more than a week and generally felt rock solid as is, the changelog is pretty long. No editor yet though, but it's next on the list now that the patch is done.

Torchlight 1.12 Patch Notes :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 06:46:03 pm by olemars »

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2009, 09:22:05 pm »

I'm tempted to buy this, but on the other hand... the demo really didn't show anything that FATE didn't have.  (I know, same team.)  Pets that can sell stuff.  Fishing minigame.  Gambling.  Sockets are Diablo 1, aren't they?  As is the town enchanter.  Villagers giving quests.

It felt more 'tuned', like better dungeon generation and nicer hotkeys, but it's essentially FATE II.  Better eyecandy doesn't matter much to me; I play roguelikes after all.

My FATE install has been broken for years -- it broke when I migrated it from Windows 98 to Windows XP.  Playing the Torchlight demo got me off my ass to find a crack, and now I'm happily replaying FATE.

I guess my point is, for FATE owners, $20 is too much.  I think I'll wait for a sale.

Semi offtopic question: FATE undiscovered realms is a mission pack, right?  That's $20 too, which feels steep.  It's 4 years old, it should be cheaper.  If I do spend $20, I'll buy Torchlight.

Maybe I'm a skinflint pinchpenny bastard though.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2009, 09:33:31 pm »

MODS! coming soon, you WILL cave and buy it.
I got nothing

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2009, 09:55:28 pm »

I'm tempted to buy this, but on the other hand... the demo really didn't show anything that FATE didn't have.  (I know, same team.)  Pets that can sell stuff.  Fishing minigame.  Gambling.  Sockets are Diablo 1, aren't they?  As is the town enchanter.  Villagers giving quests.

It felt more 'tuned', like better dungeon generation and nicer hotkeys, but it's essentially FATE II.  Better eyecandy doesn't matter much to me; I play roguelikes after all.

My FATE install has been broken for years -- it broke when I migrated it from Windows 98 to Windows XP.  Playing the Torchlight demo got me off my ass to find a crack, and now I'm happily replaying FATE.

I guess my point is, for FATE owners, $20 is too much.  I think I'll wait for a sale.

Semi offtopic question: FATE undiscovered realms is a mission pack, right?  That's $20 too, which feels steep.  It's 4 years old, it should be cheaper.  If I do spend $20, I'll buy Torchlight.

Maybe I'm a skinflint pinchpenny bastard though.
The polish level compared to FATE is pretty insane though. A light story mode, way better overall presentation (some of the areas just look amazing, like those with little platforms overlooking levels far below). Plus you know, more or less the entire Diablo team involved, including the music/sound guy and all that. It's kind of amusing all the people claiming that Diablo 3 is too cartoony and not true to the series, when the guys who made the darker/grittier Diablos make this as their next big project :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12