Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Super Badass Dwarf of the (spoilers!)?  (Read 1550 times)

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Super Badass Dwarf of the (spoilers!)?
« on: October 25, 2009, 05:30:00 am »

This is rather amazing... I decide I'm about done with my fortress, so I decide to go dig out the HFS... Good way to finish things off, I think. I have a bout a dozen champions in masterwork armor and weapons so I station them outside while I have my miners go find the HFS. Soon enough they find them, and I order my dwarves in. They're quickly overrun, and I watch a group of demons head for the surface, then I notice I have a few dwarfs left for whatever reason, expecting them to take a few hours.. by this time, they've reached my emptied out underground pool which i've converted into a lumber / silk farm, and begin slaying my dwarves. I lose 50 dwarves when instead of coming down the well, a dwarf comes up from the Pits, where I'd thought everyone had died. And then he begins laying into the demons, killing them with a single blow of his warhammer and throwing them across the screen. The rest of the demons try to escape, running up the abandoned well and the dwarf chases them, only then do I think to see what this dwarf has done...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's my first time opening a pit, and the way they mowed through 8 of my other legendary dwarves but yet couldn't handle this one dwarf, even in the narrow confines of the labyrinth i dug trying to find the demon pits makes me wonder, is this normal?

He's one of my first children, born in 102. I guess he decided he liked it here in erithliruk, "Laboredviolence"

He doesn't even have the best equipment.. that Iron Warhammer seems to do him well, even though other dwarves with equal armor and masterwork steel warhammers (And even one dude with a artifact short sword!) just died. I don't think an artifact backpack helps in the fight that much, no matter how cool the description is (and it is cool!).

He's pretty legendary, legendary shielduser, legendary hammerdwarf, legendary wrestler, but only high master armor user. Has single handedly taken down entire raids of bowdwarves without getting hurt, though the demons bruised him a bit (just a bruise, he'll heal with a bit of rest.) Also covered with 6 pages of blood and vomit.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Super Badass Dwarf of the (spoilers!)?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 08:58:52 am »

Holy carp.  That is one awesome dwarf.  I'd guess it was probably the skills that did him good - equipment only helps so much, while skills can go up to at least legendary + 5.  Being born in the fort probably helped him gain stats with social skills, too.  While froggies are the easiest HFS, they are still pretty formidable.

Now you must use dwarf companion to put him in a fort with SoF instead of Froggies.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember