Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crash at creature spawn.  (Read 735 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Crash at creature spawn.
« on: October 24, 2009, 11:56:13 pm »

Edits post-testing:

I've replaced nearly all creatures in the game, but have been getting occasional crashes with nothing appearing in the error log. The game often crashes at embark (from the world map screen, before the Play Now!/Prepare carefully option), but frequently I can then restart the game and embark successfully. I'm fairly certain that the in-game crashes are happening when new creatures are spawning on the borders of the map, but I'm not 100% sure that this is always the case.

I originally thought that a particular subset of creatures were causing the crashes, so I performed the following test:

1) I removed every single land creature from the game except for one pack animal and one wild animal. I gave the wild animal [BIOME:ALL_MAIN].
2) Tried to embark.
3) Saw if the wild animal appeared on the map.

I did this separately for each creature type, and managed to get each to appear, so I know that the creatures themselves aren't broken.
     BUT: At some embarks, the starting message said "ere the beasts get hungry' instead of naming my creature (all were large_predator carnivores), and no creatures spawned on those maps at all.

The game still crashed on my first attempted embark very frequently.

Also, I was unable to even attempt to embark on a 100% Mountains map. I suspect that this was because my single pack animal had no biome tags at all, but adding [BIOME:MOUNTAIN] or [BIOME:ALL_MAIN] to the pack animal didn't help.

Other than the creature replacements, other changes include:
- Orc mod.
- Altered Elf entity and creature to have a different name (Troodon), slightly different clothing preference, and use domestic animals.
- Changed bolt/arrow damage to GORE type.

Other observed bugs:
- When the Troodons (Elves) show up to trade, they only arrive with two traders, and no liason. I've only had a game last long enough without crashing to see them come to trade twice, but both times this happened.

Any tips? This is driving me nuts.

Edit: Just tried using normal vanilla elves with my single ALL_MAIN creature in case my edited elves were somehow to blame, and still got an embark-from-map crash before a second attempt was successful. No creatures immediately spawned on the map, though.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:22:57 pm by Raphite1 »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Crash at creature spawn.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 08:28:08 am »

Emptied your data folder of old entries? Your game might still remember things it shouldn't.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:11:31 am »

Yeah, deleted everything in data/objects. If I have time tonight I'll try genning a world with no creatures in the raws except these non-appearing predators, and see if it'll crash on embark every time.

I also just noticed that the creatures that aren't spawning are distinguished by having [BODY:HUMANOID] (with tails added) in addition to being [LARGE_PREDATOR][CARNIVORE].

So:

Successfully spawning:
[BODY:PTEROSAUR][LARGE_PREDATOR][CARNIVORE]
[BODY:QUADRUPED][LARGE_PREDATOR][CARNIVORE]
[BODY:HUMANOID], herbivores (do not have [LARGE_PREDATOR][CARNIVORE])

Not spawning / causing crash:
[BODY:HUMANOID][LARGE_PREDATOR][CARNIVORE]

The [BODY:HUMANOID] predators have an added :TAIL bodypart, same as on the [BODY:HUMANOID] herbivores.

At the moment I can't think of any other distinguishing combinations of tags. Adding this information to the original post.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 10:33:51 am by Raphite1 »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 10:55:08 am »

Try to play them in adventure mode, thus you see the errors.
There's no "magical combination" of tags which makes creatures to crash the game, at least I haven't  found it yet, and there're lots of humanoid large_predator carnivore creatures in DF (various animal men).

P.S. I have an idea about your problem. When you replace all plants and forget to add some plants for a biome where they are expected, it causes crash.

I think your problem is that you haven't made creatures for some specific biome where the game expects to have them, so when it tries to spawn them it founds none and crashes.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 10:56:49 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 11:02:38 am »

I think your problem is that you haven't made creatures for some specific biome where the game expects to have them, so when it tries to spawn them it founds none and crashes.

Once or twice I've managed to play for over an in-game year before crashing, which leads me to doubt that I'm missing creatures for a particular biome. However, I suppose my map could have a tiny segment of an unpopulated biome that is only rarely trying to spawn creatures. When I get a chance to test tonight I'll give my humanoid predators every possible biome tag, and see if that solves it.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 06:49:46 pm »

Did some testing, and updated original post. Even more baffled now than before.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 09:08:59 am »

Crashing on embark? Ahhh, it's so familiar to me.

I had similar problem with Avernum mod, concluded - too little creatures.

You need [SAVAGE][BENIGN][EVIL] and [GOOD] creatures, so whole world can be populated. Until I got some crits from vanilla df, I could only embark safely at grasslands and such.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 10:25:02 am »

You need [SAVAGE][BENIGN][EVIL] and [GOOD] creatures, so whole world can be populated. Until I got some crits from vanilla df, I could only embark safely at grasslands and such.

You may be right. I was pretty sure those tags meant that the tagged creature could ONLY appear in those biomes, rather than that a creature must have the tag to appear there at all. In fact, I thought that I had successfully embarked on an all-[GOOD] map and found it populated by untagged creatures, but maybe there was a bit of another biome intruding. The wiki seems to suggest both possibilities.

I also remembered that I deleted some vermin, so I'm concerned that vermin-less biomes may also be the/a culprit.

I have a ton of work to catch up on, but I've started some file-by-file testing and should be able to get back to it in a couple days.