Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help editing the "reaction_standard" file.  (Read 478 times)

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help editing the "reaction_standard" file.
« on: October 24, 2009, 11:52:09 pm »

So, I am tired of pretty much every other dwarf who goes into a fey mood asking for shells, I can't give it to them, they try to kill people because they can't get said shells, and it starts the destruction on my fortress. I have gotten to the point where I dread getting moods, because it means the chance that someone is going to ask for shells.

So, I hate myself for saying it; but I want to cheat.

The thing I need help with is how to make it conjure up the shells.

PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:BRASS

^How do I make something like that give shells? I don't know what to put in.

Assuming it can be done, I was thinking of making it take 20-30 metallic bars to give me one shell, assuming that is doable. Sure it is still magic shell conjuring cheating, but it will make me feel a little less pathetic for being a cheater.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Help editing the "reaction_standard" file.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 12:00:32 am »

I'm horrible at reactions, but I will say this.
There is no cheating in a single player game, whatever you do is for your own fun, so never feel bad about it!

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:02:40 am »

Uh...  you could just bring turtles (or cave lobsters, if you really want) when you embark.  Those will get eaten quickly enough and produce shells.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 12:06:12 am »

You would probably have better luck asking this in the modding forum.

However, if you follow these steps you should have plenty of shells:
 * Bring some turtles (or cave lobsters) with you when you embark.
 * Go to the Kitchen page off of the 'z' status screen, and turn off cooking for turtles.
 * Make an underground refuse pile that accepts only shells.
Your dwarves will eat the turtles, which creates a stack of 1 bone, and a turtle shell. The shell gets stored in the underground refuse pile -- because it's underground, the shell does not "decay" like outdoor refuse does.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 12:49:56 am »

The thing I need help with is how to make it conjure up the shells.

PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:BRASS

^How do I make something like that give shells? I don't know what to put in.

Assuming it can be done, I was thinking of making it take 20-30 metallic bars to give me one shell, assuming that is doable. Sure it is still magic shell conjuring cheating, but it will make me feel a little less pathetic for being a cheater.

Well I've never had to make shells (due to buying lots of turtles on embark cause they are cheap and give meat, shells and bone), but if I had to guess I think this is the line you need

[PRODUCT:100:1:SHELL:NO_SUBTYPE:SHELL:TURTLE]

or if you want to be odd you could do (though I've never tried smelting creatures and have no clue if that reaction is even close to what you would need).

[PRODUCT:100:1:PET:NO_SUBTYPE:TURTLE:STANDARD]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 09:54:30 am by sunshaker »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 01:12:22 am »

Apologies for addressing the question you didn't ask, but I don't know how to mod this reaction either.

Won't help w/ this, but for the future, take a look at the wiki "starting build" - there are some suggestions for what to bring for different playstyles and considerations.  Some include "in case of moods" - take a look at those mixes, and see if you can adopt/adapt something that will help.