Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] River suspended in midair?  (Read 1097 times)

Grimic

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma cures all.
    • View Profile
[40d16] River suspended in midair?
« on: October 24, 2009, 11:23:02 pm »

Take one look at this site and tell me there's nothing wrong with it. The inside of the lower level of the river (15) was dark until I mined into it, revealing it as completely hollow with a pond inside. The upper level (16) is where the frozen water was before I mined it out. Notice the black sand walls surrounding where the ice used to be? Now look directly above them (17) and you'll see... open space? :o

I'm going to try dumping something into that open space later and seeing what happens.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] River suspended in midair?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 12:23:17 am »

That... definitely looks like an interesting bug or collection of bugs.

For future reference, there are several ways to improve your image sharing experience.  The first is to run compress_bitmaps.bat in your DF folder after exporting images -- this converts the ridiculously huge BMPs into much smaller PNGs.  The second is to upload your new PNGs to an image hosting site such as Tinypic, so that you can post them directly on the forum instead of making people download a zip file.  Like so:

Spoiler: large images (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:26:02 am by Footkerchief »

Grimic

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma cures all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 02:37:05 am »

Ah, I'll remember to do that next time then.

Anyway, I dumped some rocks and junk into the open spaces and they got completely vaporized.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 02:47:26 am »

Are you by chance using any mods?  Or did you use any in the past?  Especially ones that added or removed stone types?

Grimic

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma cures all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 03:34:43 am »

None at all. I have Mayday's graphics pack and that's it.

To correct my above post, the items dumped didn't actually get vaporized. They instead got stuck on the open space above the wall they were tossed on and I just didn't notice them. Mining out the wall below doesn't cause the items to fall (they're completely suspended in midair), and the only way to retrieve them is to make a walkable floor space to them.

I dumped a caged goblin onto the open space, then desginated a wall to be built there. My mason didn't complain about there being items in the way and just built the wall, erasing the cage and goblin permanently.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 03:47:42 am »

Hmm.  You should probably upload your save to the DFFD as in the instructions below:

I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and any new objects that were added to the raw folder.  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  You can also try The Dwarf Fortress File Depot which has a special section for bugged saves.

Grimic

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma cures all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 06:06:59 pm »

New developments, woo! I was able to duplicate the open space bug (on another fort) as seen previously simply by filling a ramp with water and freezing it. It creates a block of ice where the upwards ramp was, but no floor where the downwards ramp was.

A warning to anyone who attempts this: If you try to dig a ramp from above that's right next to water and there's nothing preventing the water from freezing as soon as it gets to the ramp, your miner will likely die.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 06:11:18 pm »

Huh, it's a bit reminiscent of these (fixed) bugs:

# 000710 ▪ (0.27.176.38b) [dwarf mode][jobs][designations]    channeling a frozen brook leads to open space being placed above and the brook wall tile remaining below
# 000779 ▪ (0.28.181.39a) [dwarf mode][jobs][constructions]    removing constructions over ice leaves open space and items hanging in the air

And this unfixed one:
# 000667 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][designations]    (Report) caving in ice from a pool down one level resulted in open space over rock

There are a ton of ice/obsidian bugs.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 06:00:41 pm »

There are a lot of buggy ice things. But this hover-river is probably the best I've ever seen. I can't actually fully tell what's going on here - if I read correctly, you have an ice river which is completely empty and walkable from within, but with a surface of ice from without, and its raised above ground level, with walls of black sand [is that your normal soil layer?], and there is a murky pond inside the river?