Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The mysterious suffocating door  (Read 2064 times)

Doom Unicorn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The mysterious suffocating door
« on: October 24, 2009, 08:24:53 pm »

One of my greatest champions, legendary wrestler, slayer of gobbos and defender of the dwarven fortress Heavensracks, died today, the 1st of Galena 205, a late Summer day. Cause of death: suffocation by door.

Wahhh?! I didn't order my masons to construct any doors made our of Deadliness.

Is it possible he simply was injured in sparring, then died inside a distant door?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: The mysterious suffocating door
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 08:39:29 pm »

Well, we'll need some specifics.

How far away was he from the sparring area? What weapons have your dwarves been using? Was there any blood?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Doom Unicorn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 08:44:24 pm »

You know, I did just spot some blood in the barracks. He was 80-100 steps away, but towards the bedrooms.

Maybe I should stop sparring with finely crafted steel weapons then? ;) Do I do that by forcing them to disarm themselves, then locking the room with the good weapons and unlocking the one with the bad ones?

You know, I was kind of hoping for a Door of Suffocation to exist...

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 09:57:36 pm »

This makes me laugh. I can see it perfectly.

UristMcSwordsDorf is sparring, trips, and falls through a doorway just as someone slammed it shut. The door hits him so hard in the throat it ruptures his throat causing him to bleed a little out the mouth and suffocate.

One of the most non epic ways a dorf can die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 10:02:02 pm »

For a moment I thought you were talking about a door which was spamming a suffocation message when I saw the title.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 11:37:30 pm »

For a moment I thought you were talking about a door which was spamming a suffocation message when I saw the title.
That should be implemented.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 11:38:25 pm »

My vote is that he got hungry, tried to eat the door, and choked.

Much more interesting than getting a punctured lung and dying while on the way to rest...

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 03:00:53 am »

That should be implemented.

But then we'd have to put in doors that normally sigh when opened.
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 04:39:32 am »

Doors deserve to be able to defend themselves =P

Being able to spontaneously slam themselves and propel people across rooms, especially building destroyers =P

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 06:09:50 am »

I thought it was a door that caused anyone to walk through it to suffocate.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 06:23:53 am »

The second the dame walked in the door, I knew she was trouble. Then again, I needed the money. In my hard-boiled way, I asked, "What seems to be the trouble, miss...?"

"My name is Urist McNobleWealthy. I need you to investigate the murder of my husband, Urist McStrongStrong." She passed some photos of her late husbands death to me. It showed him with his neck crushed between a door and its frame. His neck was flattened like the New Lashedwhips Times. The killer had to be very strong. That meant an easier case for me. The strong ones usually weren't the brightest.

"Do you know if he was meeting anyone before his death?" If the man had died from illicit dealings with the mafia, I wanted to know before not after. I had already dealt once or twice with the mafia, and they didn't take kindly to strangers nosing around in their business.

"He was sparring in the barracks with roughly ten other warriors at the time, but I don't know anymore than that." Just like that, I knew this wasn't going to be an easy case. Either way, this stinked of something rotten. I was going to get to the bottom of as quickly as possible. I would have to be careful though: if someone squished this mans neck like a grape, I had to be sure that I kept my crossbow on me at all times. But it was just her luck: the case had caught my attention.
[/ooc]

If one of your dwarves somehow killed him, I'm pretty sure that they would list his death under their kills. I don't know if that would happen if the dwarf merely died from the injuries later, though. Another dwarf crushing or slitting his throat by accident during sparring seems to be the best bet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 10:19:07 am »

It also amazing to see how far a tough dwarf who has both lungs mangled can still walk, before dying of either blood loss or suffocation. I've had some cases where the dwarf made it all the way to a bed, and only died after taking the 'rest' job.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 11:06:52 am »

I once had a random (non-military) dwarf bleed to death in the middle of the hall. There were no enemies around and the area where his corpse was was surrounded by bloodstains. He was carrying a door.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 11:52:14 am »

Door cancels breathe:  Too injured.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 04:38:41 pm »

I actually had a dwarf that was so tough once, that he survived long enough for the season to change and his mangled throat healed, he survived at least 5 dwarf days without being able to breathe, he was even walking around and finishing off the sieges. 
Nom nom nom
Pages: [1] 2