Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mini In-Game Wiki  (Read 726 times)

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
Mini In-Game Wiki
« on: October 24, 2009, 04:23:09 pm »

I'm putting this out just to see how many people are interested in this aspect of modding DF.

I've done basic work to transfer some of the wiki into the help format DF uses.  I've only done some of the buildings, and even fewer have the information in the sidebar added.

Download it at http://75.127.91.201/~jifodus/df/help.zip then unzip to the data directory, overwriting data/help/main if prompted.  After you've done that, load DF and press '?', the wiki is the first option in the list.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Mini In-Game Wiki
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 08:25:44 pm »

That's awesome!  I can't believe this hasn't gotten more attention, this is brilliant!

Out of curiosity, how'd you go about editing the help files?  When I open them in notepad it's gibberish, so they're obviously stored in a different format or something...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:30:30 pm by timmeh »
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 09:32:25 pm »

Numbers in brackets don't seem to be showing up - on the page for Still, I see "a stack of Plump Helmet will produce Dwarven Wine" instead of "a stack of Plump Helmet [5] will produce Dwarven Wine [25]".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 02:34:31 am »

Would it be possible for the community to work on this, and then package it for Toady to put in himself in official versions?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 02:15:46 pm »

The files use the standard packing DF uses on the raws and save fields.  It's a very simple format once you decompress it.  In fact, after I perform the simple transformation into a text file, it's extremely easy to edit.  The main reason I started this thread was to see if how many people are interested in even greater flexibility of modding, since the tool can also be used to edit some of the other files in the data directory.

The transformed files are plain text, and uses [...] tags to provide formatting information just like the raws.  Which is also why the [5] and [25] weren't showing in the help file... because I forgot to rewrite that bit to fix the brackets.

For example, here's the code for the help on building clutter.
Code: [Select]
building_clutter
[TITLE]The Manual: Building Clutter[/TITLE]
When viewing building tasks or items, the amount of clutter is displayed at the top right of the menu.  Clutter is caused by items in the building.
[B]
Building clutter slows tasks:
[C:0:0:1](CLT)[C:7:0:0] Work is slowed by two times.[R]
[C:7:0:0](CLT)[C:7:0:0] Work is slowed by three times.[R]
[C:7:0:1](CLT)[C:7:0:0] Work is slowed by four times.[R]
[C:6:0:1](CLT)[C:7:0:0] Work is slowed by five times.[R]
[C:4:0:0](CLT)[C:7:0:0] Work is slowed by six times.[R]
[C:4:0:1](CLT)[C:7:0:0] Work is slowed by seven times.[R]
[C:5:0:1](CLT)[C:7:0:0] Work is slowed by eight times.[R]
[C:5:0:1]*CLT*[C:7:0:0] Work is slowed by nine times.[R]
[C:5:0:1][CHAR:15]CLT[CHAR:15][C:7:0:0] Work is slowed by ten times.[R]
In order to reduce clutter, you must remove items from the building.  You can do this by storing them properly.
[B]
[LINK:data/help/storage]Storage[/LINK]